• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best sports car under $50,000?

for me it has to answer only one question... when I turn on the car, does it in turn, turn me on as well? The shiver i get up my spine when the blower on my fgt starts whining is enough for me

The shiver i get up my spine when the blower on my fgt starts whining is enough for me

I got a shiver up my spine reading that. Then the jealousy set in. :wink:

I might be smoking crack or an idiot but I don't see how you guys can list the Ferrari 360 or Vantage under the $50k used unless you are talking a beat up example.

Frankly if I had to stay under $50k, just buy a $30k nice e46 m3 and save the rest in the bank. Or if you must drop 50 large, go get a Corvette and done deal. (sorry I'm not familiar with Vettes enough to know if you can buy a quality Z06 but if so that is even better!)

Next to the NSX it would be a C6 Z06, just so much bang for your buck.
BMW M is always a good option.
As a "sports car" then it would be a M3
If your looking for a fast sedan, M5
A high way cruiser, 850CSI or M6 (if your into classics a old E24 M6 is just awesome!)

A awd Acura RL turbo or supercharged would be a M5 killer and pretty cheap .

In that price range you could also get a good used Maserati, not reliable but a cool touring car.
A modified Porsche Caymen is a interesting idea as well.

Last edited:
The lowest listed AM V8s I see are just under $60k with just under 40k miles.

I've also heard they are stupidly unreliable(edit: that was the DB9 I was thinking of. Apparently the V8V is actually very reasonable.), but that's an uninformed opinion admittedly.

The lowest 360s I see (that aren't wrecked) are $65k with about the same mileage as above.

I've heard they're actually not bad - but see above.

If you want to wait awhile, something I've been considering is a used Corvette 427 - basically a Z06 convertible. Okay, it'll be awhile before they come down, but still.

You can get an immaculate C4 ZR1 - something else I've thought about. I've heard the rattling is bad though.

Pretty much all Y-body Vettes are going to be very reliable.

Something very cheap but fun and reliable is a Chrysler Crossfire SRT6. Alcantara seats, 300 hp on an SLK chassis. Ride's a bit rough but you gotta give something up for a car this good for ~15-20k.

I've thought a bit about an XLR or V but it's almost Lamborghini-gaudy, and that's the main reason I'm not anymore.

DeTomaso Pantera would be awesome as a classic car. The main issue is finding a non-hot rodded one.

M6s are cool but love gas.

Porsche 996-anything could be a good choice as well, depreciation murdered this generation. That's most good deals in this range, including the XLR-V, Z06, M6.

I've heard mixed things about various Lotus cars. I would personally get an Esprit. I was politely told by a now-friend on Lotustalk that the Evora is piss on reliability and that the community there is dying to save the reputation of that car. No surprise to notice that the garage queens are the ones bragging about its reliability - which is when I noticed it was the exact opposite for the Esprit, the V8s of which actually have a decent reputation when regularly afaik. Apart from the atrocious Renault transmission.

I'm droning on, sorry ;)

Last edited:
right, but IMO Ford makes a much higher quality vehicle than Chevy

I have a brother who bought an F-150 new two years ago.

It has had so many software problems and several mechanical ones. The only solace he can take is that everything so far has been cheap.

Ford has unfortunately taken the 'bigger is better' approach with all of their cars, from the Mustang and Cobra to the Taurus SHO. It's a real shame. If I were to consider a Ford product, it would be an 03/04 Cobra or at the most 05-09 GT500 for more comfort.

is this stock car or what i can do with $50k (car + mods?)

If it's the later a LS7 FD conversion will rape all on this thread.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZUPXB1Ft4Gs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
after instructing a few students in thier cars....cayman s...just don't like the highish dash..

Neither of which is in the $50k's, not even the $60k's - clean R8 V8's are around $75-80k, for $90-95k you can get a V10, provided you shop around.

Prices for these are likely significantly lower in your neck of the woods LA being such a high end car town. Around here they are 30k more. Used exotics around here that are cheap are often the ones that have a history or end up being even more expensive than real nice, higher priced ones if you catch my meaning.

- - - Updated - - -

I wondered when this post was going to show up.:biggrin:

I've looked at those a lot. There are some nicely built ones going for $30,000ish.
Z06 engine in a 93 RX7. So awesome...

I've looked at those a lot. There are some nicely built ones going for $30,000ish.
Z06 engine in a 93 RX7. So awesome...

The problem with the FD LSX conversion is the requirement to relocate and massage the factory steering rack assembly. The pin-point steering in an FD is a big part of what makes the car special to begin with. Then again.. if HP is everything then who cares about turning!

I love the LSX; I put an LS1 in my Chevelle
I love the FD; I vow to own one some day
I don't like the two put together because if of this one issue :( :( :(

Last edited:
....Or if you must drop 50 large, go get a Corvette and done deal. (sorry I'm not familiar with Vettes enough to know if you can buy a quality Z06 but if so that is even better!)

last year I've seen first year Z06 in excellent condition sell for $35k with 80k~ miles.

it's normally aspirated and with a LSx block the mileage doesn't scare me.

Back