• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Better Spark Plugs?

Has anyone tried the "pulstar pulse plug" ? They claim a 11 horsepower increase over platinum plugs. They feature a unique capacitor based pulse circuit that captures energy wasted by spark plugs and generate a spark 10 times greater energy than any spark plug.
I think they sell for $25.00 each, however it sounds like an inexpensive 11HP gain. They are advertised in "Road & Track" magazine May issue.
Thanks for the help

BS Meter.jpg

Sorry but this is truly nonsense IMO. Marketing claims like this are just too funny. IF these plugs offer better spark, it would only help if the combustion chamber environment were under a condition that the standard spark plug would not ignite. Otherwise I find it hard to beleive this will improve performance at all.

You will see products like higher end ignition systems etc. when you are trying to gen 1000HP for a dragster, which does have extraordinary combusiton chamber conditions, not a stock NSX engine.

Again, only my opinion.

Regards,
LarryB

Hey Guys, i saw a demo of this at autozone.

just NGK V power and Pulsa hooked up to a coil pack with 2 outpots.

im surpised to say that the spark defintily looks much stronger... probably about 4-5 times "fatter"

Larry, lol search up this pulsar plug and you'll see my first response is same as yours "BOGUS!" :wink:

if i didnt see it would not have given that plug a second thought.

everyone please keep in mind, this is at 0 compression. things will definitly change when spark is subject to 180+ psi.

sucks i didnt have my camera, i'll go back there soon and take some videos.

just before anyone asks. i changed around the spark plug wires and also the changed the location of which coil pack led to which spark plug. :tongue:

ill probably but a pack and put it in my turbo car to see what happens.

Hi Rob,

I have little doubt this will have a bigger spark, capacitors can hold and release a lot of energy. My point is it is only relevant if the conditions in the combustion chamber require it to get the fuel to ignite.

It's like running 93 octane in an 87 octane engine and thinking it is better/faster/more power. It's just a waste of money.

Or maybe if you just want to say "My spark is bigger them yours" :D:D:D:D And that will cost you $150:wink:

With that said, I would be happy to be proven wrong, so if you get a set please post the dyno results.

DISCLAIMER: I DID say it was my "opinion", not "fact":)

Regards,
LarryB

lol good point.

unless there is some issue where the previously supplied spark is insufficient then i guess there would be no gains, on the other hand, there is big bucks spent on better spark ie MSG line of products.... i'll probably go get a set, run it on my dyno and see what happens.

i would laugh all the way back to the store to get my refund if there was no hp gain :D

Someone should invest in 6, and do a before/after dyno. Larry I need to find me one of those BS meters.:biggrin:

I'm quite certain that reputable companies like MSD, who specialize in ignition issue (power, timing, multiple sparks, etc) know what it takes to spark a cylinder, either civialian or high power uses. They have not suggested adding electronics or other fancy stuff to spark plugs.

And, if MSD knows what it takes to light an internal combustion engine, you can bet Honda, Mercedes, Porsche, etc, all know it, too.

These marketing companies are preying on two things to make money:
o you are too lazy to ask for a refund
o the power of suggestion makes you think your car has more power

This is just my opinion. I'd be happy to be shown a difference.

(Oh, and btw, if they *could* get 11hp, don't you think their company would have been bought by a *real* company already?)

That is one dyno graph, but its not an independent result.

Quotes like this:

The M-Speed R34 Skyline, equipped with a Okada Projects Plasma direct booster blasted the Tsukuba Circuit to a 1st place podium finish at this years 17th annual Revspeed Super Battle, clocking in at 55.230 seconds.​

aren't even TRYING to tell you that their product will help you. We could put a sticker on the car and say "... blasted to a 1st place podium" and be just as accurate.

Buyer beware.

Back