• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Big day tomorrow for my new toy

The gasket for the lower (largest piece) timing belt cover arrived this afternoon from Torrence, CA. We think the NSX tech at Acura of Lynnwood didn't install it because it is DIFFICULT to install that cover with the new gasket. It is really tight in there with that large cover. But it does perfectly seal the entire timing belt covers which is wise with the proximity to the right drive wheel. No excuse though, in 2004 the Acura tech SHOULD have put in on there to keep the timing belt area clean.

The engine is back together with all new belts, new NGK plugs, new waterpump, all new gaskets for the valve covers/plugs, new air filter, and the valves adjusted. We are letting the gray goo gasket seal material sit overnight. In the morning we will change the oil with Mobil1 10W30 (sale on at NAPA right now), use a new Acura oil filter, and then start it up!

We will finish by flushing the brakes with ATE Super Blue and putting in new transmission fluid. If the weather holds, I will drive an NSX for the first time on the road tomorrow! The first time I rode in an NSX was a ride in this very car by the original owner last month. Kinda like Christmas Eve... :smile:

Congrats on a very nice NSX... a great addition to your stable :)

The above comment is BTW total B.S. I've had my NSX for 17 years and the SC for about 10 years, never had a problem... and it transforms the car!! :)

I was waiting for somebody from the FI world to chime in.

Nice find very clean. Since you are into all this work if it's not too late consider replacing the harmonic balancer or getting the SOS shield.

or the coctail for the trans fluid.

gm sycromesh friction modified day and night in the feel of the car.

Nice find very clean. Since you are into all this work if it's not too late consider replacing the harmonic balancer or getting the SOS shield.

Harmonic balancer looked great, no degradation anywhere. Educate me, I am a new NSX owner and I don't know about the SOS shield. I know they make and market some great NSX products though.

Harmonic balancer looked great, no degradation anywhere. Educate me, I am a new NSX owner and I don't know about the SOS shield. I know they make and market some great NSX products though.

The shield protects the cover in the event of a harmonic balancer failure.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75746&highlight=balancer+shield

on the link look at post #7, post #163, post #171

If your harmonic balancer is original, ya might wanna replace it...

The potential issue is well documented here on Prime

SO you're the lucky guy who bought the NSX from Lynnwood..
I told my Dad to buy it ASAP!

/jealous....

GRADS!

I appreciate that! However, it was actually never really offered for sale to the public by Lynnwood Honda. I work there, and the used car manager put it "up for sale" as a joke to get me bent out of shape! "Hey! That's my car you've got listed!!" If you followed the pricing the entire time it was listed, it fluctuated every few days with it peaking at a high of $47,500. HA HA... :rolleyes:

The work was completed on the 7th and I was finally able to drive my "new" NSX for the first time. I drove it for two days before tucking it away for yet another period of rainy days. I love the induction sound at WOT!

I had no idea that all the OEM heat sheilds were stainless steel.
6829135176_3973f96361_b.jpg

View from behind driver's side rear tire.
6975261417_f0b2431b00_b.jpg

Looking clean. :) I am sure you are smitten.

The work was completed on the 7th and I was finally able to drive my "new" NSX for the first time. I drove it for two days before tucking it away for yet another period of rainy days. I love the induction sound at WOT!

I had no idea that all the OEM heat sheilds were stainless steel.
6829135176_3973f96361_b.jpg

View from behind driver's side rear tire.
6975261417_f0b2431b00_b.jpg
I'm speechless at the cond of that muffler. Speeeeeeeeeeechless. :eek:

On the interior pictures above it's pretty much how it looked when I got it from the original owner. For the photoshoot I did a quick vacuum of the floor mats - not much dirt after driving it two days.

you need to get the newer style cover that has the weep hole for the waterpump, I think the new cover comes with it glued on to it but I can not confirm.

Also, don't forget your Sax shield.

The [FI] comment is BTW total B.S. I've had my NSX for 17 years and the SC for about 10 years, never had a problem... and it transforms the car!! :)

6 years of trouble free boost here...

12 years of trouble-free boost here...ended recently by a fuel line leak. The take-away lesson is to stay away from stainless steel braided fuel lines, not FI. I will however concede that FI may not be as necessary given your elevation, as it is for Will and I.

Also, don't forget your Sax shield.

12 years of trouble-free boost here...ended recently by a fuel line leak. The take-away lesson is to stay away from stainless steel braided fuel lines, not FI. I will however concede that FI may not be as necessary given your elevation, as it is for Will and I.

Thank you for the tip on the Sax shield - I will get that.

Before moving back to Washington in 2000 I lived in Aurora 4 years, and then my son stayed in Colorado another 4 years at a nice quiet little B&B called the USAFA. :tongue:

I really enjoyed Colorado especially as a skier (no rain, no heavy snow). And the mountain roads about everywhere were fun to drive: Berthod Pass, Loveland Pass, the road to Rabbit Ear pass - highway 40 in general. All lots of fun. I had a turbocharged sportscar at that time and that helped alot, So yes, at elevation it's a big deal for any sports car (especially brakes)

BTW, what's the story there, why stay away from stainless braided fuel lines?

Before moving back to Washington in 2000 I lived in Aurora 4 years, and then my son stayed in Colorado another 4 years at a nice quiet little B&B called the USAFA. :tongue:

I grew up across from the AFA in what used to be a rural area. Picture heard of antelope on the prairie with mountains, foothills, and the AFA chapel in the background. Now there are thousands of houses and the antelope no longer roam there.

I really enjoyed Colorado especially as a skier (no rain, no heavy snow). And the mountain roads about everywhere were fun to drive: Berthod Pass, Loveland Pass, the road to Rabbit Ear pass - highway 40 in general. All lots of fun. I had a turbocharged sportscar at that time and that helped alot, So yes, at elevation it's a big deal for any sports car (especially brakes)

Great, so we'll see you out here at NSXPO 2012 in September?

BTW, what's the story there, why stay away from stainless braided fuel lines?

They eventually fail and leak fuel (details). For much longer I had this same impression about long-term reliability of aftermarket stainless braided brake lines...guess it applies to fuel lines also.

Congrats on the car. It is unbelievably clean.

I appreciate that! However, it was actually never really offered for sale to the public by Lynnwood Honda. I work there, and the used car manager put it "up for sale" as a joke to get me bent out of shape! "Hey! That's my car you've got listed!!" If you followed the pricing the entire time it was listed, it fluctuated every few days with it peaking at a high of $47,500. HA HA... :rolleyes:

At first it was like $47k, so I ignored it for a few days. Then my brother came back and was like "SIMON its $33k CALL NOW!!!!" Nice joke that your used car manager did.

Great, so we'll see you out here at NSXPO 2012 in September?

Congrats on the car. It is unbelievably clean.

I am considering NSXPO this fall to see the world of the NSX at its fullest. The drive itself would be worth the trip - I have driven between Seattle and Denver several times on many different routes - but never in an NSX!

BTW, Thanks to everyone for the compliments on the car. I still have to pinch myself that I finally own a true world class supercar; a one owner, well treated example. A tip of the hat to my boss MP for tracking this one down for me.

Back