• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bilstein on high perch vs low perch

Hi everyone, so I took my first long drive in the NSX yesterday since I purchased it recently. I bought the car with Bilsteins on it set on the lower perch with stock springs. The car looks great, but I it does scrap a lot since I have a wings west kit on their as well. In addition, going around corners aggressively, I do notice tire rub and it and its quite annoying. I am debating on bringing the Bilsteins to the stock perch, and see how that goes. My question is to those that have it on the higher perch, is a big difference in looks? I believe the Bilsteins lower it about 3/4 of an inch on the lower perch correct? Will the handling be better on the higher perch? I really want to enjoy the cars handling without the tire tub and also not scrape so much driving on the freeway. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It will raise the car back up to stock height. So for reference look at any nsx with aftermarket wheels with stock height and there's your opinion.

What is better handling to you. Some want track handling, some want comfort handling. You need to describe what you're looking for.

Looks are opinion. Stock height looks fine to some, others no. It's what you want.

Theres a wheel thread floating around that I hear has some golden information from prime members past that post up suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, rubbing, and pictures that may be old, but there's a ton of information floating around.

It will raise the car back up to stock height. So for reference look at any nsx with aftermarket wheels with stock height and there's your opinion.

What is better handling to you. Some want track handling, some want comfort handling. You need to describe what you're looking for.

Looks are opinion. Stock height looks fine to some, others no. It's what you want.

Theres a wheel thread floating around that I hear has some golden information from prime members past that post up suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, rubbing, and pictures that may be old, but there's a ton of information floating around.

Thanks for the feedback. I did try some searches so I'll contiue to look. I really want more of the track feel. I guess I will raise it up a bit and see how I like it. I can always change it back

exactly....you are better off just trying things out for yourself then report your findings.

Truthfully with those front offsets you may just be always rubbing. I don't know, but if you are then the only solution is to change out for a less aggressive offset.

If you're scraping and don't want too but also want the looks of a lowered stance car then my suggestion to you is coilover system and some type of vrh kit. That will give you the adjustability to change things easier and also give you the clearance things.

Ravi at umbrella makes one and Steve at iLift system make ones that are on the market.

My question is to those that have it on the higher perch, is a big difference in looks?
Well, it's a difference of 3/4". It is what it is. Remember, the NSX is pretty darn low even at the stock ride height. Any photo of a stock NSX will have it at the same ride height. You can see photos of my NSX, which had the Bilsteins installed at the perch for maintaining the stock ride height, in the topic where I posted it for sale, here.

Personally, I never, ever wanted it any lower than the stock ride height, for all kinds of reasons. The front chin spoiler scrapes enough on inclines even at the stock ride height, and it's only worse on a lowered NSX. Even at the stock ride height, the NSX is not all that easy to get in and out of, and I didn't want to make that any worse, either. I've ridden in lowered NSXs and never noticed any difference in handling; the handling of my NSX was always pure perfection; even though mine was heavily tracked, I never felt the need to lower the car.

As a suggestion - since you're still looking for ways to avoid rubbing, why don't you just try it? Have the shocks re-mounted, and see how you like it. If for any reason you don't like it at the stock ride height, you can always change it back. Granted, you'll have to pay for the work, but it's not all that expensive to do, and doesn't require any additional parts to switch from one perch to the other (or back again).

You appear to be relatively new to the site and might not have found the NSX Wiki yet, which has all sorts of useful information such as:
Here's a thread on Bilsteins with various wheel/shock combinations: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/157311-Bilstein-shocks-w-stock-springs-on-17-18
Here's a Wiki article on how to change your Bilsteins if you feel inclined to try it yourself: http://nsxprime.com/wiki/Bilstein_Shock_Install
You can access the Wiki from the red action bar at the top of most pages.

Well, it's a difference of 3/4". It is what it is. Remember, the NSX is pretty darn low even at the stock ride height. Any photo of a stock NSX will have it at the same ride height. You can see photos of my NSX, which had the Bilsteins installed at the perch for maintaining the stock ride height, in the topic where I posted it for sale, here.

Personally, I never, ever wanted it any lower than the stock ride height, for all kinds of reasons. The front chin spoiler scrapes enough on inclines even at the stock ride height, and it's only worse on a lowered NSX. Even at the stock ride height, the NSX is not all that easy to get in and out of, and I didn't want to make that any worse, either. I've ridden in lowered NSXs and never noticed any difference in handling; the handling of my NSX was always pure perfection; even though mine was heavily tracked, I never felt the need to lower the car.

As a suggestion - since you're still looking for ways to avoid rubbing, why don't you just try it? Have the shocks re-mounted, and see how you like it. If for any reason you don't like it at the stock ride height, you can always change it back. Granted, you'll have to pay for the work, but it's not all that expensive to do, and doesn't require any additional parts to switch from one perch to the other (or back again).

As always, great feedback. Thank you so much. I will definitely give it a try and the stock setting to see how it helps with the rub and scrape issues.

every car IMO will look different. BUT here is a pic of my two 05s (one with bilstein and one without) when i had them both. Driveway has an angle but you can see the gap difference

463092_10150606874007496_1297676074_o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

and i believe this was lowered without the body kit.... i think you may know the car...

20z1ngh.jpg

After reading your other thread in the wheel section. Your issue is with the wheel itself. The offset is pretty aggressive. But you've herd all the recommendations already. Other than stretching a tire alittle.
I have mine on the bilstein low perch factory springs and have no issues of tire rub and I enjoy spirited driving on curvy roads. Not once has it rubbed. And the handling was improved vs factory setup but I can't comment on bilstein with normal perch handling. I'm running a 225/35/17 on the front with a 38 offset wheel.
Now rubbing the front lip on the road I luckily haven't had happen yet, but the roads in Delaware are pretty good and it's all on how you drive in areas that are risky.
Good luck with whatever you decide, it's a shame you'll have to have a alignment again after switching to the upper perch but if your set that that is your problem then go for it!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. On the canyons and curvy roads it's fine...no rub issues. It only rubs a bit when I take a very aggressive sharp turn, you start to hear it rub a little. I think I am going to keep it as is and possibly heat the fender liners to push them in a bit and see if that helps.

Back