• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Black roof on NSX a sticker ??

After recently buying an Imola Orange NSX (UK) I have cleaned and polished it several times but am now under the impression that the black roof on the car is just a vinyl cover and the roof is actually Imola Orange ??

Anyone else had this or know if it is true.

I think my car is one of the Avatars you guys use as it is the ex UK press car.

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but seemed relevant.

Last edited:
I can't speak for your particular car, but for mine I know it is Berlina Black paint. I do have some chips on my roof, and it does appear that it is all one body color at first then painted black, but still paint and not vinyl.

1997 3.2 (UK car)

When cleaning the car it just doesn't seem to be paint like the rest of the car.
More like the sticker that is round the S2000 windscreen.

Orange_Mountain.jpg
and
Imola_Orange_Euro.gif

bodypainter said:
Orange but with a black roof? What year NSX is this anyway, doesn't sound like a stock combo.

Last edited:
I'm not an authority, but I have never heard of a post '95 car with a factory two-tone paint scheme. If it is a sticker, you're in luck. It can probably be removed, and your car can look as it was intended.

bodypainter said:
Orange but with a black roof? What year NSX is this anyway, doesn't sound like a stock combo.
Most of the coupes have black roofs. It is a factory option to have it painted (or unpainted) to match the rest of the car.
Steve

JoeyCam said:
I'm not an authority, but I have never heard of a post '95 car with a factory two-tone paint scheme. If it is a sticker, you're in luck. It can probably be removed, and your car can look as it was intended.
That is not true. Most coupes have black roofs. In fact there are a few rare post 95 coupes in the USA that have black roofs. Even the USA 1997 brochure shows a red coupe with black top. This particular Imola Orange car looks stock. Some post 95 coupes in this country do have color matching tops. s2ktaxi has a silver one, and another NSX club member has a blue 1997 coupe with blue top.
Steve

whiteNSXs said:
That is not true. Most coupes have black roofs. In fact there are a few rare post 95 coupes in the USA that have black roofs. Even the USA 1997 brochure shows a red coupe with black top. This particular Imola Orange car looks stock. Some post 95 coupes in this country do have color matching tops. s2ktaxi has a silver one, and another NSX club member has a blue 1997 coupe with blue top.
Steve

Steve wants the white with black top late model one too!

If you look for it there's a description by Honda on the painting process for the NSX. There are several layers of paint with some extra on the frontal areas to protect against chippng etc. The roof is painted body colour with black being applied afterwards.

Back