• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bought the meanest daily driver ever, a 1984 Mini :D

On saturday me and some friends went and bought a Mini. The price was good, it needs some work done to look and feel mint, but I'm looking forward to replacing all the bad parts with new ones. For the price of a header for the NSX I can make this little thing factory-new :D Parts are extremely cheap :)

Below are some picture from the sales-ad, I will maybe take a few pictures of it tomorrow or tuesday;

4_352119774.jpg

4_-1972772735.jpg

4_631696581.jpg

4_1993468532.jpg

Some insane facts:

Weight 630 kg (1390 lbs I think)
960 cc engine :D
50 hp (o.k. performance, no straightlineracer but sticks to the ground like a go cart and would probably run away from most familycars in the corners)
48.500 miles
Top speed: 65-70 mph :D:D:D:D
Center aftermarket exhaust for the mean "Angry Mr. Bean on the way" sound
10" rims :D

It broke down (engine problem, the watercooling tank leaked and the engine overheated - a rubberhose even melted!) on the way home the first day, but it will be sent to the workshop tomorrow to get the engine and brakes in top shape.

My pimpin' plans are:

Fix the rust - Repaint (the car is 22 years old, it screams for a repaint), keep the same colours
Chrome 13" wheels
Give the engine a nice treatment with new parts all the way
Custom very light colour leather seats (white/black combination should look sweet)
Replace every broken interiorpart with new ones
New steeringwheel in leather
Tint the windows all around
Upgrade to Cooper S (the quicker "sportsversion") brakes to fill the 13"'s

I am sooooooo looking forward to this, almost EVERYBODY, males, females, old people, young people - everybody smiles when they see this car :D This car rocks...

Sweet car - congrats.

A friend of mine has one of the last Factory show car Mini. It is truely a revolutionary car.

My father used to own two. If I'm not mistaken it is the 1000 one. He always called it Austin Mini. One white and one Mr Bean green. He sold both to buy our house. There was no A/C in the car.

queenlives said:
now that your 3 weeks of summer are over, you'll have plenty to keep you busy through winter, eh? :)

Hahaha :D Yes, you are sooooo right. Every cent is to be saved so I can fresh the Mini up!

The owner had winter-tires for this car (I will be recieving them soon) and said it could be driven on snow but the car is very low, and that's why I'm excited to find out more about its winter-skills :D

CL65 Captain said:

:eek: I would do this but the authorities would never approve it so I must pass... It would have made a great sleeper though don't you think :D

But thank you for the link, very cool items there:

rseat_pl_stone_blth.jpg
seat_pl_stone_bk.jpg
- What I actually wanted :D One day the seats should look like this :)

I don't care about the space in the back seats because I'll be driving it :D

Just been to the workshop and dropped the Mini off there. They'll check what's wrong with the engine, and I think I'll get the car back on friday or monday.

Drove it for second time now, I'm amazed how fun it is to drive. Because of the noisy exhaust and the very cool styling of the car, it gets so much attention I feel like a celebrity :D

I just can't wait to get it back now!! Drive more...

I used to own one...I had a two car garage at the end of a gravel driveway and for laughs, I'd race toward the garage, pull the handbrake, and slide it into the garage sideways. I agree, very fun to drive. Did you know that 10" golf cart tires (the wide ones) and wheels bolt right on?

When I lived in the UK the ex-wife had a black one and I had a black NSX. Parked then next to each other all the time. Always made me smile:biggrin:

If you get them up to 60 mph, it feels like you're doing 140 mph.

Nice!
This is a good way to go it the rear sub frame is rusty:
http://www.minimania.com/web/AddedFrom/Suggest_Cart/Item/CK22/InvDetail.cfm
And maybe even if it's not coz it's so heavy. There are also other options for the rear end
And you can get a nice rose jointed fully adjustable front end for not too much money.
As I'm sure you know there are tons of after market parts to make this thing fly.

Have fun,

Patrick

Hi guys...

This car has been nothing but a nightmare so far...
Was at the workshop, they fixed the engine but said many parts were "ready for replacement"... The brakes are fixed...

The crappy part is that eh... the exhaust started leaking a LOT today, because of a rusthole on it... It's been at the workshop for 2 weeks now and I'm not expecting it to be finished in another 2 weeks because they have to order new parts and so on...

This is not a good way to start the week...

Considering to just sell the car after it's fixed at the same price I bought it for. I really don't have the time or patient or for that matter money to just fix it and never drive it.

I guess this is what it's like to own a old Ferrari. You are sooo excited because you own something really cool but as the Ferrari only gives you large workshop and servicebills in the end you just hate it :D I love my NSX! Hehe...

Oh well... Good luck to me next time I'm finding a daily driver! :) I really want to buy a newer Mini in a better condition, but I don't think I want all the problems a british car can give me.

Last edited:
Joel said:
Screw it. Get a motorcycle. They are a LOT of fun. :biggrin:

I have the NSX for fun, the Mini was supposed to be daily driver. But you're right, screw it. Go and find a reliable dailydriver soon. A Subaru 4wd car or something else boring :frown: It always sucks to buy something, be really happy for it, and it doesn't work.

Back