• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bringing in a car from Oregon

Hi....just a quick question. A buddy of mine is trying to buy a car from an owner in Oregon and bring it back to California. Other than the sale tax, registration and smog, what else and how much does he have to pay? I keep hearing some out-of-state drivers who have lived here for a little while and their cars are still registered elsewhere because they don't want to pay a large sum of $ to register here........thanks,

Funny...that is exactly what I did. I lived in Oregon for 8 years and moved to Southern California and brought my NSX with me...actually brought 3 cars with me. I waited 2 years to register my NSX and had no fines. There are no additional fees other that registration, license and sales tax.

Where is your friend moving to?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

You only pay Sales ("use" actually) tax if you purchase the vehicle less than 365 days before you relocate to CA - in your friend's case it will apply since regardless of whether he keeps it registered in OR for a year, if he is already a CA resident, there is no way around it.
i.e. if you were resident in another state & have owned the car for more than one year prior to relocating, there is no tax to pay.
(This was circumstance when I moved to CA from TX - paid no use tax on 2 vehicles I transferred when I relocated)

But in this case the use tax would apply, no different that buying a car in CA for that particular component.

Car needs to be CA smogged as well so one more additional fee Todd did not mention - there are also some misc fees if you check the fine details

It's all laid out in the above link, as is everything else you needed to know about auto registration & drivers' licences etc - most informative site!

Bottom line is the only additonal costs vs buying a car in CA are an additional $15 service for an out-of-state vehicle and the smog fee - if purchased in CA the seller is responsible for the car to be smog compliant, not the buyer.

Oh ..... & since it's an NSX he'll need a personal plate fee!
bgrlaugh.gif

Have your friend follow the rules - it just costs the rest of us more when the rules are bent.

D'Ecosse said:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

You only pay Sales ("use" actually) tax if you purchase the vehicle less than 365 days before you relocate to CA - in your friend's case it will apply since regardless of whether he keeps it registered in OR for a year, if he is already a CA resident, there is no way around it.
i.e. if you were resident in another state & have owned the car for more than one year prior to relocating, there is no tax to pay.
(This was circumstance when I moved to CA from TX - paid no use tax on 2 vehicles I transferred when I relocated)

But in this case the use tax would apply, no different that buying a car in CA for that particular component.

Car needs to be CA smogged as well so one more additional fee Todd did not mention - there are also some misc fees if you check the fine details

It's all laid out in the above link, as is everything else you needed to know about auto registration & drivers' licences etc - most informative site!

Bottom line is the only additonal costs vs buying a car in CA are an additional $15 service for an out-of-state vehicle and the smog fee - if purchased in CA the seller is responsible for the car to be smog compliant, not the buyer.

Oh ..... & since it's an NSX he'll need a personal plate fee!
bgrlaugh.gif

Have your friend follow the rules - it just costs the rest of us more when the rules are bent.

Thanks for all your replies. Let me clarify a little. My friend is a CA resident all his life. He is interested in purchasing a used Toyota from his buddy in OR and the car will be registered in CA. I often hear that people have to pay extra fees to bring in an out-of-state car and I can't seem to find this at the above DMV link.

Chajonlee said:
Thanks for all your replies. Let me clarify a little. My friend is a CA resident all his life. He is interested in purchasing a used Toyota from his buddy in OR and the car will be registered in CA. I often hear that people have to pay extra fees to bring in an out-of-state car and I can't seem to find this at the above DMV link.

I don't think the state of California cares where you buy your car, you will be open to pay the same fees, registration and taxes whether you buy it in Oregon or California, assuming your friend currently lives (and will remain) in California throughout the purchase and registration process.

The only benefit would be if the reverse happened, i.e., living in Oregon and buying a car from California as Oregon residents do not have to pay any taxes on vehicle purchases and registration is about $35 every two years :D

Back