• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CA smog compliant??

Hey guys, as some of you know I'm selling my NSX. I have a quick question that a few potential buyers have asked me and I really don't know the answer.

Is my NSX California smog compliant?

What are they talking about? How can I tell?

Thanks
-John

The car just has a different muffler on it, the cats are still in place so I guess then it OK.

jadkar said:
The car just has a different muffler on it, the cats are still in place so I guess then it OK.
Depends which after-market exhaust - I believe that Comptech is the only after-market muffler that is CARB certified - anything else & legally it is not compliant and should fail immediately on visual with a conscientious / knowledgeable tester.
However even though my car was required to go to test-only station, the operator did not even question the headers or exhaust - they were of course CARB legal being Comptech components but he didn't even check them for being anything different & I am confident he did not know enough to recognize a) they were not standard b) they were indeed CARB certified or otherwise.
No guarantee that will hold true everywhere as far as process goes!

I'm pretty sure that anything that is "cat-back" does not have to be CARB certified.

Anything BEFORE the cat...from the air filter to the cat has to be certified.

In CA, you have to have a smog cert 90 days prior to the sale of the car. Or you are in violation of some law or other. The only exception is if you sell the car as "parts only".

Drew

Tell them they shouldn't have a problem. I just passed smog in mine. Exhausts don't have to be CARB legal and if you get a ticket for having an aftermarket exhaust you can go to an arbitrator to prove that the non-stock exhaust note is below 90 db's (I think that's the noise limit). Plus most smog shops never see an NSX. It's pretty damn funny when they open up the hood and then come over to ask where the engine is!!! :biggrin:

I have Comptech headers and the Taitec LTWT and it passed smog recently also here in LA. Since the headers are CARB legal, I agree with Drew that any cat-back exhaust will pass smog. The 90dB rule is another matter, as my Taitec gets louder every day !

Back