• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can there be anything more satisfying than driving the NSX?

I drove my NSX across town today while the weather was clear. I thoroughly enjoyed the drive from all perspectives. My car's six speed transmission felt so responsive and quick, the engine just eager to charge ahead with all her might.

The handling was so crisp, and the steering was so precise, it's so hard to describe perfection.

Aside from the ride attributes, people walking by were giving me the thumbs up, and when I stopped to buy a drink, a gentleman yelled from across the street "nice car!"

On the ride home, I had all kinds of kids and other people follow me in their cars for several miles, just to see how my car looks up close and how it would perform. I had several cars that would zoom on by very quick, and then see them slow down intentionally to go way behind me, and then follow me for awhile. Very interesting.

I used to be the guy that looked at NSX drivers and think to myself "wish I could be him." Now it feels soooo good to be the one that others are looking at and wishing to be in my seat.

The NSX is truly a magnificent experience that can not be described by words. :biggrin:

I agree. Yesterday I had some friends in Cleveland, Ohio that were celebrating a birthday and the decision was made that a visit was in order. After having a pretty crappy week at work the decision was made to take the NSX. There were snow flurries and some pretty sloppy roads, but I really did not care. The NSX was what I needed to make me feel better. So for the 250 miles from Fort Wayne, Indiana to Cleveland, Ohio I just turned on the stereo and drove. Today was another 250 miles home and I loved it. When I got home the weather was beautiful (for Indiana in March) and I felt revived. Now all I need to do is wash the car....oh well. I love it. :)

Today, while driving, I got flipped off by a guy in an MG for doing nothing but driving the opposite way.........

I laughed because I obviously caught his attention and he is either jealous or a bitter old man driving a Piece O' Shit (at least his was) car and has to get people to pay attention to him by flipping people in nicer cars off.

Made my day!!!!:D

NO...there's not!!!
Your description is perfect. I feel the same way. Took the NSX out on Sunday and drove 129...The Dragon. Sky was blue, weather was warm and the car was running perfectly. (But then again, it always does!) At the higher elevations there was snow on the roadside but not the road. A wonderful clear run at 60mph mostly. Cant say my British cars could do the same. I LOVE :biggrin: my NSX...it is nearly perfection. Could almost sleep in it, it feels so good. And, as a friend of mine has said...who needs a man when you have an NSX!!! Well...almost true! :wink:

Deborah in Knoxville

todddejag said:
NO...there's not!!!
Your description is perfect. I feel the same way. Took the NSX out on Sunday and drove 129...The Dragon. Sky was blue, weather was warm and the car was running perfectly. (But then again, it always does!) At the higher elevations there was snow on the roadside but not the road. A wonderful clear run at 60mph mostly. Cant say my British cars could do the same. I LOVE :biggrin: my NSX...it is nearly perfection. Could almost sleep in it, it feels so good. And, as a friend of mine has said...who needs a man when you have an NSX!!! Well...almost true! :wink:

Deborah in Knoxville

Some of us might change the last statement of yours to read; "who needs a "wo-man" when you have a NSX, well...almost true!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Anything more satisfying than driving it? Probably not, but I have something that comes close.

I've only had my NSX for a little over a month now, and about 2 weeks ago, I put it up on jackstands for the first time. I took the wheels off, and WOW!!! I've never seen sexier stock suspension pieces! I crawled under the car and admired the various beautifully sculpted aluminum frame bits. The car looks as beautiful from underneath as it does from on top.

Knowing the aluminum around you is so beautifully engineered is plenty satisfying, even when you're standing still.

Ditto!!

I live in Las Cruces, New Mexico and as far as I can tell, I'm the only NSX
in a city of about 80,000. I saw a silver one a year ago, but haven't seen another since. So when I go into town or out for a drive, I get the same treatment and admiring glances. Having a yellow targa makes the car stick out even more.

The other day I was driving on 25N heading home when two kids in an Integra heading in the opposite direction each stuck their arms out and gave me the thumbs up sign.

Here's another one-- the guys who work in the Blockbuster in town have a note on their computer to check out my car when I come in. That always brings a smile to my face.

In the past two weeks, I've seen no fewer than four 2005 Vettes in town, but still no NSX in sight. I parked next to one the other day and my '98 NSX looked so much more substantial and exotic than the newest Vette.

Beyond the exclusivity of the NSX, nothing brings a smile to my face quicker than looking out onto the road ahead while watching the speedometer leap into triple digits.

Larry T

I got one....

A fews years back..I went to Future Shop to buy a DVD movie... As I was coming out there was a guy talking to a girl. I over heard him telling her it was his car and what not...

so

NSX $57,000 (CND) (5 years ago)
DVD $27.99 (CND)
Cool sunglasses $170 (CND)

the look on the guy's face when I unlocked the door and drove away.. PRICELESS.....

NCC-1701D said:
I got one....

A fews years back..I went to Future Shop to buy a DVD movie... As I was coming out there was a guy talking to a girl. I over heard him telling her it was his car and what not...

so

DVD $27.99 (CND)

the look on the guy's face when I unlocked the door and drove away.. PRICELESS.....

Kind if like the Harley commercial :biggrin:

Driving the NSX really is a blast. I haven't owned anything like it before. Teh view is just amazing and I still get a kick on how low it sits to the ground. It sure is fun to look up and guys in Toyota Echos and Scions :tongue: The more I think about it the more sad I get since I'll be selling the NSX to my brother. At least we have plans to continue working on it together and entering it in shows. Somehow I have a feeling I'll end up buying another NSX a few years after my brother takes mine over.

Of course there are more satisfying cars out there. The NSX was the machine 14 years ago. Today, it is still awesome but it does not hold the title anymore. You just cannot expect the NSX to still rule after all these years. I would think the current Ferraris, Lotus, Porsches, and a few others give more satisfying experiences. Ask CDub who drove a few nice cars recently in a private track event. There is a Chinese saying that fits this Oh-So-NSX sentiment. It is "a frog at the bottom of a well." I love the NSX from day one and have owned three. It is a great car but there are better cars.
Steve

whiteNSXs said:
Of course there are more satisfying cars out there. The NSX was the machine 14 years ago. Today, it is still awesome but it does not hold the title anymore. You just cannot expect the NSX to still rule after all these years. I would think the current Ferraris, Lotus, Porsches, and a few others give more satisfying experiences. Ask CDub who drove a few nice cars recently in a private track event. There is a Chinese saying that fits this Oh-So-NSX sentiment. It is "a frog at the bottom of a well." I love the NSX from day one and have owned three. It is a great car but there are better cars.
Steve
A good point. I don't own an NSX but I enjoy the communities' attributes and discussions. People have different priorities (financial and otherwise) and it's great to see NSX owners enjoying life driving these cars. True, it's not a Ferrari... it's something else special.

NCC-1701D said:

so

DVD $27.99 (CND)

I love those kinds of stories. I have a similar story, but -- apologies to the NSX fans -- it was with my Ferrari 308. I came out of a store and found a group of 4 or 5 people standing around my Ferrari. I walk up to them and one of the guys is spouting off facts about the car. "wow, what kind of car is that?" I say to him. "It's a Ferrari" he says, "you know, like on Magnum PI" "Oh yeah....Ferrari? Must be fast, huh?" "Yeah, like 160 easy." (I don't think so.) "Wow, that's fast, how much you think it costs?" "Probably like a hundred grand.." (whoa, he's WAAAY off.) So as the small crowd disperses, I jump in the car and start it. Oh man, you shoulda seen the look on that guy's face!

Now, just so I'm not too off-topic here, I'd like to also add that my NSX is a far more satisfying car to drive than my 308. I realize the NSX design is about 15 years newer, but the difference is staggering. It has more power, better brakes, better handling, far better ergonomics, a far better shifter, a lighter clutch, much lighter steering, electronics that actually work, a parking brake that actually works, and an AC that actually works, a decent-sized gas tank, and way way better fuel economy. I've only had my NSX for 6 weeks, so I can't really comment on reliability, but I'm sure we all know which car is going to win there.

Like others have said....I had an incident where my NSX was parked at a gathering of import cars. Some individual of questionable intelligence was spouting off telling people it was his car. I started asking him questions about the car and he was firing back bullcrap answers. Finally I asked how long he had the car and he said he just got it recently.....after that I said, 'Oh really? That's cool...,' and go out my key and opened the door. You should have seen the look of horror on the guys face. It was classic. :biggrin:

Something that's happened to me several times is people taking picutures of my NSX as they drive next to me. We're talking flashbulbs going off at night, and people standing up thru their moon-roofs with video cameras.

Another thing is that some people almost cause traffic accidents by gawking at my car instead of watching where they are driving. One guy bounced off a curb and almost lost it!

EVERY time I drive the car, it's a tremendous experience. I sure hope Honda replaces it...

whiteNSXs said:
I think you are missing the point of this topic, Steve. In fact, I think you may be missing the point of owning an NSX. Because it's not about one car being "better" than another; no car is better at everything, only at specific, objective attributes. For example, there are other cars that can go faster than an NSX in the 1/4 mile, but that doesn't mean that they give more satisfaction to their owners in doing so. For those of us who have always wanted a high-performance, great-looking sports car, the NSX may offer tremendous satisfaction - and that satisfaction may be greater than other cars that are faster, sure, but that are more common, or that we will never be able to afford, or that we consider ugly, etc. For many of us, the NSX is as close as we ever expect to come to automotive nirvana, and in that sense, there is no other car out there that can give greater satisfaction.

However, this is all a matter of personal priorities and pleasures. If you really feel that there are other cars out there that, for whatever reason, will give YOU more satisfaction, you should sell the NSX and get one of those. But please don't try to rain on the parade of those of us who are getting exquisite enjoyment from what we have.

Maybe F430 Spider? Have not seen one yet in real life, But I think F430 will be a very impressive ride. In the mean time, My NSX is the most enjoyable car that I have ever owned. Mainly because I can fix anything that breaks on it. :wink:

Driving the NSX is pretty special and sometimes I still can’t believe I have one! :biggrin: I recently took my first drive of 2005, approximately 300 miles round trip and had a blast … never slowing down for a curve and carving my way through slower traffic. The car is so easy to drive at any speed; it does everything so well and looks great doing it. If it has one fault it's that it attracts too much attention and I'm basically a shy guy. :cool:

Mine is a 91 and its limits are beyond what I can use on the road safely or quite frankly, probably beyond my current abilities period. :wink: Even today it stacks up pretty well with the competition … it must have been something amazing back in 91! :tongue:

Had mine for about 5 months and I love the attn almost as much as I love the car.

Before I had completed the first MILE in it after I bought it, a teenager cutting grass, stopped his mower and hollered "sweet ride dude!"

First time I drove it, a guy in a Viper nodded and smiled at me.

Second time I drove it, an 8 year old girl chased me through the neighborhood on her bike and said "nice car mister."

Third time I drove it, I pulled up next to a C6 at a light. Two seconds later I hear this screaming from beside me. I look over and the female passenger of the Vette was begging me to pull over and let her see the car. Her boyfriend wasn't as pleased. =)

The first time I drove it to work, within 20 minutes, about 5 guys had come by to tell me about the car. My wife had been nominated wife of the year for letting me buy it.

Went to a Ferrari Dealership to drool over the cars I'll never be able to afford. When I came out, there were 6 people checking my car out and asked me about a thousand questions.

This sort of thing happens almost everytime I drive it.

whiteNSXs said:
I would think the current Ferraris, Lotus, Porsches, and a few others give more satisfying experiences. Ask CDub who drove a few nice cars recently in a private track event.
Steve

What happened that day was a dream come true for me. Owning all these cars and be able to rent California Speedway for a day with pro drivers as you personal instructors is a life style that I really don't see myself in. For that moment when I was hauling ass in the Carrera GT and the F360 on the big oval, I had to agree with you. Nothing like the way these cars handle with the power and technology behind it. The sound of the engines says it all.

The moment the track day was over, I was totally happy to be heading home in my NSX. With in my financial means, the NSX is truly a dream car. I can't imagine what sports car I'd be seeking back in 97 if Honda didn't produce this wonderful car. A Supra? A RX7? Nothing else even come close to the NSXs.

Last edited:
The only other cars I really find myself wanting are the Ferrari F355 and Porsche 993 Twin Turbo. Those cars stir my emotions almost as much as my NSX does. Almost. :)

Satisfaction means to be content with and to derive pleasure from something.

When it comes to the NSX, satisfaction can be measured in numerous ways: cost to acquire; cost to maintain; not having to worry about every sound coming from the engine, brakes, suspension and thinking about what it will cost to fix; $25 oil changes; comfort; driving pleasure; performance; appeal; appearance; exclusivity; and, the ability to serve as a daily driver with the rock solidness of a Honda.

I know that other cars can out accelerate the NSX (but not by that much), but (for the majority of us), how many "previously owned" high-tech exotics are affordable and remain that way for years? I apologize to those able to afford the NSX new.

Here is where satisfaction crosses over into those intangibles where other cars cannot compete.

Larry T

'98 Spa Yellow Targa 6spd.

Back