• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can't stand people

I can't stand people saying how the nsx is slower than this car and that car. They tell me i should have bought an evo or something. I just tell them that they don't get it.:smile:

It does not bother me any more because I have a car that is rare and reliable. Its fast enough for me and makes me happy everytime I get into it.
It has great resale value and for every one person that mocks it there are ten or more who compliment it.

NSX91 said:
I can't stand people saying how the nsx is slower than this car and that car. They tell me i should have bought an evo or something. I just tell them that they don't get it.:smile:
I guess I'm one of the few people that never gets those types of insults. I get nothing but compliments when I take the NSX out. Of course, I can't hear what the high school kids are whispering to each other when they're revving their engine next to me in their 1776 Honda Civic at the stop light. :smile:

At least the NSX is 1000x more beautiful than any EVO's saloon around.:smile:

Acura NsX Pilot said:
It does not bother me any more because I have a car that is rare and reliable. Its fast enough for me and makes me happy everytime I get into it.
It has great resale value and for every one person that mocks it there are ten or more who compliment it.

Well stated. I think our view's have always been similar on ownership.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
I guess I'm one of the few people that never gets those types of insults. I get nothing but compliments when I take the NSX out. Of course, I can't hear what the high school kids are whispering to each other when they're revving their engine next to me in their 1776 Honda Civic at the stop light.

I haven't had this problem lately either. I do seem to be attracting a lot of kids pacing with camera phones and bikers giving thumbs up on the highway lately, as well as people asking me if I am sure if it is 'street legal'. I even got a compliment on my "Lamborghini" the other day. :)

Last edited:
NSX91 said:

Relax it’s ok. This is going to sound pompous and arrogant but here goes.
Most people don’t know as much about cars as you do. I know you know about cars because you have an appreciation for the NSX. You are very lucky. You live in a time when there are many wonderful attainable cars and you are doubly blessed because you also know enough to enjoy them. I believe the true enthusiast appreciates many cars. If we had enough money and a large enough garage I suspect many of us would have a collection. A 2cv ? a few 911s a few old RR and Bentleys a Duisenberg a GT 40 an air cooled VW an old Mini a Jenson FF an STI a Viper a few Corvettes some Ferraris a 928 a Nissan 260 a Lotus 7 an Ultima an E type a Miata a Renault 7 maxi a Cobra a DB7 perhaps… the list is many hundred cars long. When someone says that such and such a car is crap or this car is better than that car, most of the time it’s because they are an idiot, no that is too harsh. It’s because they are not as well informed as they might be. It is also possible that they are an idiot too.
When you meet people that are idiots you should rejoice because if everyone you met was smart then you would be the idiot, would you not? However I know what you mean, it does wear you down after a while. I guess that’s what the internet is for. The virtual community that understands. I find that hanging out at the track helps too. People that are involved in any kind of automotive competition invariably “Get it”. I think that it’s such a treat when I am in the company of people who not only understand my point of view but can also teach me something.

Regards,

Patrick

When I bought my 03 NSX six months ago, right before I signed the contract, a kid who work at the dealer Subaru Parts depo. asked me, don't you know the STI is faster? (It was a Subaru/Acura combined dealer). I told him, you see that red 95 out there, it's my trade in, do you know why I don't care for a STI? He's said, "I don't know, I just don't understand why people would pay that much more for an NSX." I basically replied, you can't possibly tell me that you will take a STI over an NSX? That is why you work behind a parts counter, and I have my own business. He felt a little insulted and respond with "That's not the point, you are paying more for an car that is slower."

After I signed the paper, he approached me again. I asked him "what's up?" His responsed was, "I guess I'll figure it out when I get to your age." (he was acutally serious about what he said, with no sarcasm) .... Right before I drove the car off the lot, I said, "when you figure out what life is about, you will want a car like the NSX, and if you don't... sorry, you will be working behind that counter for the rest of your life, dreaming about a STI, how cool it is, how wicked it is, and how boy-ish it."

Last month, I took my car to the dealer for oil change, he approached me, "hey, I finallly drove one, and I want one!!!" I ask him, how about an STI, he said, "I got one of those, but you're right, NSX is much much nicer."

I gave him a little lecture about the NSX, about Honda's F1 history, and most importantly, who was involved in the NSX developement. I'm sure next time I visit the dealer, he will tell me what have have learned on his own, who Ayrton Senna is, and who Gordon Murray is.

Vancehu said:
When I bought my 03 NSX six months ago, right before I signed the contract, a kid who work at the dealer Subaru Parts depo. asked me, don't you know the STI is faster? (It was a Subaru/Acura combined dealer). I told him, you see that red 95 out there, it's my trade in, do you know why I don't care for a STI? He's said, "I don't know, I just don't understand why people would pay that much more for an NSX." I basically replied, you can't possibly tell me that you will take a STI over an NSX? That is why you work behind a parts counter, and I have my own business. He felt a little insulted and respond with "That's not the point, you are paying more for an car that is slower."

Last month, I took my car to the dealer for oil change, he approached me, "hey, I finallly drove one, and I want one!!!" I ask him, how about an STI, he said, "I got one of those, but you're right, NSX is much much nicer."

I gave him a little lecture about the NSX, about Honda's F1 history, and most importantly, who was involved in the NSX developement. I'm sure next time I visit the dealer, he will tell me what have have learned on his own, who Ayrton Senna is, and who Gordon Murray is.

I am just curious as to why you couldn't have informed him about your reasons for choosing the NSX, and given him the information that led you to an informed decision (IYO) about purchasing a NSX and Honda F1 derived product, without belittling him about his job and where you thought he may be years down the road.

As HE pointed out to you, That was not the point he was making. He was simply wondering about the choice of your car over something that he considered a better buy. He felt that speed was the considering factor, as a lot of people seem to think when they see US in the car.

He may have a better understanding of the NSX and Honda's development of it, he may even understand why you bought yours, but one thing is for sure, He now has a clouded judgment of those that purchase the car, and what they think of themselves and how they relate to others that may not have them or own their own business..

I have never understood these type of interactions, Why shoot someone else down when they don't agree with your purchasing choice?

Is the car really that important in establishing a picture of who NSX owners are to other people? Mine isn't.

Is a NSX so un-obtainable that you must be looked upon as mega-successful to own it? Hell No!!!

Is the NSX so special that you must forget that people are in different stations of life, people have different reasons for doing different things, people have different likes and needs, different opinions, different aspirations in life? I would hope not..

I know that they are nice cars, I know that I am blessed to own one or ANY car for that matter.
But to think that because you have a business and what looks to be your second NSX, you are head and shoulders above the rest, is as naive and inane as his question, based on the reasons he asked them.
Come guys and Gals, "Represent"!!!! Don't be the cause of such jokes as "Porsches and Porcupines".. At least now I know why some people say them.

I know that I will probably get flamed on this, but I really don't care, see I bought the car because I liked it,
Had nothing to do with MY PRESENCE, It was the NSX's Timeless lines, The Cockpit that elicits "Super Car", The Sweet Position of the Motor that illicits "Drive it like you stole it", "Turn this way and I am going that way, precisely.", It was the fact that it looked similar to a Ferrari, Costed much less than a Ferrari, and outperform(s)ed Ferraris and other exotics when it was introduced.

I did not buy it for outright speed... I bought it for the usable powerband, The outrageous handling, The unflappable reliability, The fact that it has been a proven design study and it always will be, no matter what else/
other cars is/are built or what replaces THE NSX.....

It would have been hard for anyone to argue with that.
However, if they persisted, I would have just said,
I Bought what I wanted, It fits my needs just fine.
I would have done it with the largest smile on my face.
Then I would simple get in it and leave.

Why is it ever necessary to impugn on someones stage in life to get your point across about a mode of transportation? It has nothing to do with it other than ability to purchase.(HUGE MAYBE) It's not like it's a Bugatti or Enzo.
I mean, really.. A Echo will get you there just the same....

Okay old guy getting off the soapbox...
I am made of Nomex, so no suit is required.
Len

Last edited:
Tell them "it's not for everyone". Re: Can't stand people

I like anchovies on my Caeser salad (not mixed in with the dressing - on top of the salad). Most people who go to lunch with me make a face and some think its gross. I tell them "it's not for everyone".

I've said the same thing to people who ask me why I bought the NSX and not "a faster car like a Corvette" (though the new Z06 is pretty sweet) - "it's not for everyone". If they show any interest or have any questions after that, I'm more than happy to share my obsession with my car. :smile:

Last edited:
Re: Tell them "it's not for everyone". Re: Can't stand people

As car guys, we buy cars for partly for fun and partly for transportation.
More horsepower doesnt directly translate into more fun.

Re: Tell them "it's not for everyone". Re: Can't stand people

mickeylex said:
I like anchovies on my Ceaser salad (not mixed in with the dressing - on top of the salad). Most people who go to lunch with me make a face and some think its gross. I tell them "it's not for everyone".

I like anchovies on my Caesar Salad too. I even ask for extras! :biggrin:

len3.8 said:
I am just curious as to why you couldn't have informed him about your reasons for choosing the NSX, and given him the information that led you to an informed decision (IYO) about purchasing a NSX and Honda F1 derived product, without belittling him about his job and where you thought he may be years down the road.

As HE pointed out to you, That was not the point he was making. He was simply wondering about the choice of your car over something that he considered a better buy. He felt that speed was the considering factor, as a lot of people seem to think when they see US in the car.

He may have a better understanding of the NSX and Honda's development of it, he may even understand why you bought yours, but one thing is for sure, He now has a clouded judgment of those that purchase the car, and what they think of themselves and how they relate to others that may not have them or own their own business..

I have never understood these type of interactions, Why shoot someone else down when they don't agree with your purchasing choice?

Is the car really that important in establishing a picture of who NSX owners are to other people? Mine isn't.

Is a NSX so un-obtainable that you must be looked upon as mega-successful to own it? Hell No!!!

Is the NSX so special that you must forget that people are in different stations of life, people have different reasons for doing different things, people have different likes and needs, different opinions, different aspirations in life? I would hope not..

I know that they are nice cars, I know that I am blessed to own one or ANY car for that matter.
But to think that because you have a business and what looks to be your second NSX, you are head and shoulders above the rest, is as naive and inane as his question, based on the reasons he asked them.
Come guys and Gals, "Represent"!!!! Don't be the cause of such jokes as "Porsches and Porcupines".. At least now I know why some people say them.

I know that I will probably get flamed on this, but I really don't care, see I bought the car because I liked it,
Had nothing to do with MY PRESENCE, It was the NSX's Timeless lines, The Cockpit that elicits "Super Car", The Sweet Position of the Motor that illicits "Drive it like you stole it", "Turn this way and I am going that way, precisely.", It was the fact that it looked similar to a Ferrari, Costed much less than a Ferrari, and outperform(s)ed Ferraris and other exotics when it was introduced.

I did not buy it for outright speed... I bought it for the usable powerband, The outrageous handling, The unflappable reliability, The fact that it has been a proven design study and it always will be, no matter what else/

Why is it ever necessary to impugn on someones stage in life to get your point across about a mode of transportation? It has nothing to do with it other than ability to purchase.(HUGE MAYBE) It's not like it's a Bugatti or Enzo.

Len

Daaaaamn!!!:eek: well said:biggrin:
I can't believe he went to the "You work behind a counter, I own my own business" card:redface:

Just because some kid thinks STi's are better:confused:

Ask him if he'd take his STI / EVO etc over an NSX and see what he says.

EVO's / STI's are for boys (17 year old ricers gauk at them).

NSX's are for grown MEN (WOMEN gauk at them).

Ask him which would he rather on his jock :tongue:

When you get a little older, you realize Civics, WRX's, Skylines aren't the coolest cars on the road. You're opened up to the world of Porsches, Ferrari's, Lotus', NSX's, etc...

Vandetta said:
EVO's / STI's are for boys (17 year old ricers gauk at them).NSX's are for grown MEN (WOMEN gauk at them).

I drive an 05 EVO and shockingly, I pull more chicks in my EVO than in my NSX.

I took my wife out on our first date in my yellow Ferrari, she could have cared less. I work on the Railroad and have had 2 nsx's, big deal, it's not about the status it's all about the car. People ask me how do I afford it. i tell them 3 words HOME EQUITY LOANS I have a great house, car, and I'm in debt up to my ass and love every minute of it!

Vandetta said:
Ask him if he'd take his STI / EVO etc over an NSX and see what he says.

EVO's / STI's are for boys (17 year old ricers gauk at them).

NSX's are for grown MEN (WOMEN gauk at them).

Ask him which would he rather on his jock :tongue:

When you get a little older, you realize Civics, WRX's, Skylines aren't the coolest cars on the road. You're opened up to the world of Porsches, Ferrari's, Lotus', NSX's, etc...

That's a pretty harsh assessment. The EVO and STi are legitimate performance cars and they are the "newest" and hottest thing out so of course, the younger crowd will be drawn to them. They certainly aren't cars only "ricers" can appreciate. Most of the younger crowd have no clue about the NSXs history from Honda F1, to Ayrton Senna tuning the suspension, but that's understandable since the original NSX is from a different time period to them.

As I've gotten older, I still find fast, well handling compact cars awesome to play with and have never been interested in the exotic world other than the NSX mainly because I'm a big Honda fan. My brother-in-law is on his second Ferrari and his "world" is actually rather annoying. Some of the Ferrari guys have attitudes that are no better than ricers...they just happen to have more money to burn. :rolleyes:

len3.8 said:

Len

len3.8, you got it all wrong, I am flatter that you will spend all this time to attack me and defending this kid. Perhaps it is my fault for not disclosing more information, than again, I don't want to write an whole essay about what happened. You are attacking and defending people you don't even know. The word wise... good luck finding it.

All right, here is my logic for my action, hopefully, you can see the bigger picture.

The kid who approached me wasn't very friendly when telling me my purchase was WRONG. The problem is, when a person is trying to influence your mind, after it's already made up, that is something I cannot stand. The point, this kid is working for the same owner of a dealership of Acura/Subaru. What he did in the world of retail sales is forbidden. If he did change my mind, the person who spends six hours helping me buying the car would have lost the deal, and a sales person from the Subaru side would have gained. If this kid is more mature, and understand the value of the products sold at his work, he wouldn't have encountered me by making his suggestion. In fact, my entire purchase process doesn't involve him at all, which means he had some thing else on his mind when a approached me. I have no reason to be a nice guy to him. It is his job to understand each vehicle that is sold through the dealership and not disparaging any product, specially the NSX (granted, at lot of us trash talk Korean or Domestic cars, but I wasn’t in those dealership). If he had a more humble approach, perhaps I would have been nicer.

The truth is, if you guys are offended, thinking that I’m a total dick, you’re way off. The kid needed an attitude adjustment lesson, and I don’t need to be nice to him after his sarcastic approach. Imagine if his boss found out what he did, he might have been fired on the spot. If Honda finds out what this kid did, they might have to find a way to lock him up (literally). The owner of the dealership came to meet me and introduced him self to me, and he turned out to be a competitor when I was in the car biz back in my days in Seattle. He was a nice guy and I’m glad the purchase was done through his dealer. By the way, disparaging a product is a terminable offense in any retail sector.

What my intention was, NSX owners are usually wiser than those who drive STI/EVO, because they are the people who challenging you to a race, or tried to aggravate you by telling how slow your car is. Age might have some thing to do with my decision of this purchase, even though I wanted the car since 1989, when I was a big fan of Ayrton Senna, and saw magazine article of him testing NSX prototypes. By no means, I’m looking down to people who don’t drive an NSX, or people who can’t afford them. If I was, it will make sense for me to verbally attack those who are driving old NSXs. Don't forget, I traded a older NSX for a new one, becuase I can now afford a newer one.

At our last encounter, the kid was much nicer, and more humble. It is important for him to learn the products of his dealership, however, it is not my job to teach him. I did however, gave him some clue where to seek the information. It is true that Honda has long lost their approach towards educating their dealer network what the NSX is about. Preaching and educating are two different subjects. I don’t preach about the NSX, but to educating people what the car is about, and I don’t go around making fun of other people’s car and try to get them into my NSX. If this kid truly wanted to learn about this car, he would do what I told him to do, research the car, understand the car, and appreciate the car.

The word wise can be defined in many levels, through different ages - If this kid act wisely, congrat my purchase, not telling the NSX is an inferior product, he would have been a wise kid.

Last edited:
Fair enough, you have stated your side with a little more depth into the "Kid's" attitude towards you and your choice.

Just as I was about to give you the benefit of doubt, you show your true intentions again...

Your quote, which really shows a pattern to your line of thought. (IMHO)

What my intention was, NSX owners are usually wiser than those who drive STI/EVO, because they are the people who challenging you to a race, or tried to aggravate you by telling how slow your car is. Age might have some thing to do with my decision of this purchase, even though I wanted the car since 1989, when I was a big fan of Ayrton Senna, and saw magazine article of him testing NSX prototypes. By no means, I’m looking down to people who don’t drive an NSX, or people who can’t afford them. If I was, it will make sense for me to verbally attack those who are driving old NSXs.

It's just too easy....:biggrin:
I'll go back to my lowly OLD 95 NSX...

len3.8 said:
Fair enough, you have stated your side with a little more depth into the "Kid's" attitude towards you and your choice.

Just as I was about to give you the benefit of doubt, you show your true intentions again...

Your quote, which really shows a pattern to your line of thought. (IMHO)

What my intention was, NSX owners are usually wiser than those who drive STI/EVO, because they are the people who challenging you to a race, or tried to aggravate you by telling how slow your car is. Age might have some thing to do with my decision of this purchase, even though I wanted the car since 1989, when I was a big fan of Ayrton Senna, and saw magazine article of him testing NSX prototypes. By no means, I’m looking down to people who don’t drive an NSX, or people who can’t afford them. If I was, it will make sense for me to verbally attack those who are driving old NSXs.

It's just too easy....:biggrin:
I'll go back to my lowly OLD 95 NSX...

Is that so? Have fun attacking me, let the peole on the forum be the judge.

Back