• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Carseats

Enzo said:
My son was born the 12/12/2003 and his first ride in the NSX was the 27/12/2003 so he was riding at 2 weeks. Who is the winner ? :D

Hi David,

Congratulations with your new born son. What's his name and how is mom doing?

This is a good ending of the year for you.

Happy new year,
Gerard

Hi Gerard,

Thank you very much !

His name is Anthony and and yes, his mom and him are going very well.

I wish you an Happy New Year and a lots of victories in the Honda Trophy 2004. ;)

PS : Here's Anthony

Attachments

• pict0491.jpg
    pict0491.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,281
Enzo said:
My son was born the 12/12/2003 and his first ride in the NSX was the 27/12/2003 so he was riding at 2 weeks. Who is the winner ? :D

Wow, congratulations! That was faaaast! :D

And happy new year to Claudia, Anthony, the second most shiny black NSX in Switzerland ;) and to you of course!

gheba_nsx said:
the second most shiny black NSX in Switzerland ;)

SECOND MOST SHINY BLACK NSX ???? In your dreams !!!!! :p ;)

Happy New Year to you and Eva.

PS : I just finished the Leatherique treatment on my seats and you are going to die when you will see the results ! :p :D

the recaro child seat is very nice but i can't see paying $250 for a child seat.

i have the Graco TurboBooster
B000066HRQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._sim_na_1/102-1467287-6339346?v=glance&s=baby

otto_joe said:
Hey, how did you fit the turbobooster in your NSX? I just tried to swap out my daughter's Eddie Bauer car seat for the Turbo Booster and the Turbo Booster's base is too wide.

This might be the excuse I'm looking for to get the Recaro Start. :)

Thanks.

Otto

i placed a folded beach towel underneath.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm looking at putting a car seat/booster in for my 5 year old. I have a 91 so no passenger side airbag. In my 'family' cars, I've always put towels down to protect the leather, but it still leaves indents after a while. I'll have to look into that rubber mat thing mentioned above to see if that helps. I just had new leather installed on my seats so I'd hate for it to get ruined by the carseat.

Other than the recaro, are there any others that people have found that fit nicely between the bolsters? I'd be ok with a "booster" only, ie one without a back, but I'd prefer a full seat so that my 3 year can also ride in the car.

I have the Black Leather Eddie Bauer High Back booster/carseat. I have taken 3 measures to minimize denting of the leather and to protect the NSX seat. I put a towel on the seat first, and then one of those thick rubber mats. The towel is my barrier between the rubber and the leather to insure the two don't start sticking to each other (I don't know if it would be a problem, but I'm not taking chances. Then on all of the plastic edges that are like thin knife blades where the carseat would push against the rubber mat, I taped 3/8 inch thick closed cell foam. This really insures that the contact pressure points are wide rounded surfaces instead of 1/16 inch wide "knife blades". I leave the carseat in for months, and on the few occasions (like NSXPO 2003) when I remove the seat, there is little to no evidence of the fact a carseat has been there for the last 6+ months.

But I do find that the angle of the seat belt holding the carseat in is not as secure as my other vehicles. So I used the belt that is for a tether (which the NSX is not equipped for) and modified it so I can cinch it around the back of the NSX seat to securely hold the carseat to the back of the NSX seat.

For legal reasons, I am not advocating that anybody make modifications to their carseats or install them in anyway not described by the manufacturer. I know what I have done, and I am very comfortable with the security I am providing my son. But I am not a child seat designer and therefore not qualified to provide any advice on how to install and use carseats. I recommend that after you install one, drive your car with the seat and no child to your local police or fire department. They will inspect your installation and let you know if they feel the carseat is adequately secured for safety purposes.

SJJ28 said:
I have the Recaro Start Seat in Black, and it is really nice. Not as cool loking as some, but VERY well constructed, and SAFE. It expands as fast as my daughter (2-1/2), and will work until she is 90lbs I beleive.

My oldest son is now almost 5 and he has been using his Recaro seat since he was 1 year old and 20+ lbs as the specs require. The newly redesigned Recaro Start seats have a molded in head rest as pictured below that the previous picture of the older seat does not have. We ordered a new one for my youngest one who is now 2 years old and it was such a better seat that we ordered a new one for our oldest. The new molded in headrest is a safety issue and all but avoids the nasty "passenger side airbag" issue since the "wings" of the headrest are designed to protect from side impact as well as airbag deployment. The headrest wings also even have speakers built in so that you can jack in the DVD player and they can listen in comfort. Ahhh, Recaro, you gotta love that company. :)

I highly recommend the Recaro Seats and the best deal on them can often be had from http://www.azautosportdirect.com for only $299 and free shipping.

Attachments

• ACFFF65.jpg
    ACFFF65.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 594
Is the headrest spkr. options? I had bought 2 Recaro Start, but neither one has the spkr. built-in. one was 3 yrs. ago. the latest one was last yr. with headrest wings. Did you installed the speakers later, if so, please list details.Eiffel.

Fritz, thanks for the suggestions on how to keep the seat from damaging the leather. Question: If you're using the tether strap, why don't you have it connected to the tether bolt directly? Actually, I've never even noticed a bolt on the NSX, but I'll take Brians word that the Canadian NSX's come with them preinstalled.

G-man: I'll definitely have to check out that Recaro, it's a bit pricey but sounds like it's worth it! I'm going to hit some baby stores this weekend and see if any carry that Recaro or any others that will fit between the bolsters.

EIFFEL said:
Is the headrest spkr. options? I had bought 2 Recaro Start, but neither one has the spkr. built-in. one was 3 yrs. ago. the latest one was last yr. with headrest wings. Did you installed the speakers later, if so, please list details.Eiffel.

The seat that I attached the picture of above is a NEW for 2004 seat design. I have been waiting for this seat for over a year. I called Recaro a couple of years ago when I was looking at buying an RX-8 since that car has a really narrow back seat and uses the new universal latch system. The Managing Director at Recaro North America said that the Latch Compatible Start will be out in 2005 and that the 2004 seat has the new fixed head rest wings. The old style wings (2003 and before) were an option and were removable and not nearly as effective. Keep in mind that Recaro spends lots of time and money collecting crash data using kid dummies and felt that this new design (2004) was a critical leap forward in safety. After using BOTH seats, I have to agree. Like I said before, it only took 1 day for me to turn around and order a new seat for my oldest son who has been using his perfectly good Recaro Start (2000) since 2001. The speakers are a standard feature of the new 2004 design. Keep in mind that just because you buy a seat from a vendor in 2004, doesn't mean he is going to ship you a 2004 seat. Lots of people have been stocking these for years, and I have hear of guys buying a "deal" from a vendor who was selling a 2000 or 2001 seat in late 2003.

Like any piece of safety equipment, they get better every year and every 4-5 years there are major advancements that make huge leaps in safety and comfort. Think Motorcycle helmets. My SNELL 95 helmet has long been retired in favor of SNELL 2000. The difference between my 2000/2001 seat and my 2004 seat is night and day. There are at least a dozen clearly visible differences. Everything from redesigned locking mechanisms for more positive lock to better padding and more durable cover and even more compact folding profile.

As you can tell, I am a fanatical RECARO fan. In fact, I just ordered a set of RECARO Style seats in Leather with full heat and air (comfort package) for my Mercedes C32 AMG. Mercedes saw fit to put some Nazi era torture devices instead of seats in an otherwise wonderful car. Thankfully RECARO is still in business and going strong. Ironically enough, the NSX is one of the few cars that I have owned that do not require any seat swap. Even the OEM seats that RECARO designed for BMW and Porsche aren't always the best in the world. Only the BMW comfort seats and the Porsche 911 Twin Turbo sport seats really got the job done well. All other cars have had to suffer a seat swap... at least those that I kept long enough to get new seats into it. ;)

Arshad said:
G-man: I'll definitely have to check out that Recaro, it's a bit pricey but sounds like it's worth it! I'm going to hit some baby stores this weekend and see if any carry that Recaro or any others that will fit between the bolsters.

You can check, but most baby stores do not stock it. You have to be a licensed RECARO dealer to sell the seat legally. Most of the performance shops and other places that normally carry RECAROs might not even have it. I would call around based on a search of RECARO dealers in your area from the RECARO NA website. http://www.recaro-nao.com/index_frames_NS.html

Of course, I have done a great deal of research and most places are selling the seats for $349-$385 and some of those are the old model. :) So, the $299 with FREE shipping at the link that I sent to you is definately the way to go. They are great people to deal with and have hot products at cool prices. :D

As far as the price being "high" or "worth it"... the question is, as always, "How much is your kid worth?". :cool:

Good up to 100 lbs.

Attachments

• Simpson Child Seat.jpg
    Simpson Child Seat.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 565
Thanks for the reply, I will wait until next year and get 2 LATCH compatible version. But I really do like the built-in speakers. For all of you thinking about the RECARO Start, it is a great seat, you won't regret it. I already bought 2, will buy 2 more, when new version comes out, that's satisfaction. :)

SoCalDude said:
Good up to 100 lbs.

WARNING! Don't waste your money and risk your kids lives on plastic or composite seats. They may protect your kid in a 3 foot fall to concrete, but not in a 60 mph head on crash. For my money, there is no sustitute for solid steel frame and German engineering of a RECARO child set.

PS: As far as the "SIMPSON" seat goes, isn't a SIMPSON product that killed Dale Earnhart? Just checking...

G-man

Great, thanks for the heads up G-Man! I just need to make sure they ship to Canada. Worst case I can ship it to someone in the US and have them send it up to me.

Arshad said:
Great, thanks for the heads up G-Man! I just need to make sure they ship to Canada. Worst case I can ship it to someone in the US and have them send it up to me.

Talk to Victor there... tell him I said "Hi". If he should be able to ship to you, but it might cost you. If for some reason he can't ship outside the US. You can ship it to me and I will reship to you. :) It's not like they haven't shipped 2 here in the last 30 days already. :)

Victor Barreira
http://www.AzAutoSportDirect.com
A division of Pole Position Partners
6950 E. First St, Scottsdale AZ 85251
Tel: 480-424-7223 Fax: 480-424-6790
[email protected]

G-man said:
PS: As far as the "SIMPSON" seat goes, isn't a SIMPSON product that killed Dale Earnhart? Just checking...

G-man

I thought that the reason Dale Sr. died because he didnt have any neck support and his spinal cord seperated from the base of the cranium?
I could be wrong tho.

I ended up buying the Recaro Start seat. Great seat. Easy to swap between the NSX and my SC400. The one I have has the built in speakers.

Back