• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Carseats

Anyone out there besides me use a carseat for transporting little ones in the NSX. My son goes to daycare in the coolest car. I got a black leather carseat (so it matches the interior), and as soon as he was one year old and could sit forward facing, I started going to work in my NSX again and dropping him off at daycare. I'm curious if my one year old son is the youngest ever passenger in an NSX.
Of course he did ride as a fetus a couple of times as well, but I don't think that counts.

Glad I have a '92 that doesn't have passenger side airbag. My son gets a 5 point harness, while I still use the stock seatbelt. I may need to do something about that.

Originally posted by KODIAC:
lucky kid!

I recall seeing kin Mitra(forgive the spelling, I'm not sure how he spells it) bringing his 360 spyder NARC blue and his wife in their CT NSX, both with car seats so they could bring both kiddies to a lil NSX meet we had back in dec.

Are you kidding - my 3 kids (well - maybe not the baby) BEG to go for a ride in daddy's "fast car". I have mini dates with my 4 yr old son and 2 year old daughter. At the track here in St. Louis we have a charity event over lunch hour where you can bring a passenger on the track for some laps for $5 (moderate speeds). My son absolutely loved it and I felt like I was giving him the "speed" drug and leading to the delinquency of a minor!

Anyway - the NSX is part of the family and as you can tell from my sig - our garage has a split personality!

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

My 3yo daughter loves riding in the NSX with her booster seat. But sometimes she tries to get me in trouble -- we'll be riding, and she'll say "go really fast now"
smile.gif

I have a '94, so it does have the passenger side air bag. I contacted Acura about running with a car seat, and they said that if the seat's all the way back, the air bag won't reach it, as it blows more up than back. I would prefer disabling it entirely, but I'm not uncomfortable with it.

-Bob ('94 #496)

Originally posted by nsx4fun:
...I'm curious if my one year old son is the youngest ever passenger in an NSX.
Of course he did ride as a fetus a couple of times as well, but I don't think that counts...

ROTFLMAO!! Yeah, I don't think you'll get points for that one.

Regards.

Well so far, I hear 2,3, & 4 year olds. At 12 months old, my son might be the youngest. I definitely started as soon as it was legal in CA. He loves to ride in the NSX, as he is sitting right next to daddy, instead of in the back seat like my other 3 cars. I may have to take him to a NSXCA meeting in a couple of months. I am blessed with a very happy baby. Everyone comments about how happy he is. Even his doctor is amazed at how happy he can be with 2 ear infections and a fever. I don't know how many times he has gone to restaurants, I lost count. I am always prepared to pack up & leave a restaurant asking for "to go" boxes, in case he was to start wailing (I have no desire to make any other restaurant attendee's experience annoying by being sitted next to crying infant), but as of yet, I have never had to leave early. I expect as he gets older, one of these times, I will have to pack up and leave.

My son is 11M's old and loves the car - he just doesn't know to "fight" for his turn in the "fast car". Funny thing is - my 1, 2, and 4 year old all fall asleep in my NSX more then in the Van or other luxary type cars we used to have. Something about the engine sound, power, etc - seems to put them to sleep.

I also read in my Canadian market Honda Odyssey that they recommend putting children in the back seats but if you have to put a child in the front seat to move the seat as far back as possible which will put it out of the range of the airbag.

That said - why not deactivate the passenger bag or switch it on/off? It is a shame that even a $12,000 domestic pickup truck has a key to activate or deactivate the airbag where there is not a back seat and they didn't do this with the NSX.

NSX4Fun, what car seat did you buy. I'm sure the time will come soon for me and my wife to need a baby seat and I was just wondering what leather seat you bought? Anyone else for that matter care to share what baby seat you bought as well? Oh, by the way, this is for use in the NSX. I'll probably use a regular baby seat for the other car.

[This message has been edited by ChrisK (edited 16 February 2003).]

Originally posted by ChrisK:
NSX4Fun, what car seat did you buy. I', sure the time will come soon for me and my wife to need a baby seat and I was just wondering what leather seat you bought? Anyone else for that matter care to share what baby seat you bought as well? Oh, by the way, this is for use in the NSX. I'll probably use a regular baby seat for the other car.

Me too. The car seat I have in the legend scratches the leather and that would be a big no no in the nsx. So if you all have any good advise towards what type of seat will not hurt my leather. The one I have now in an Eddie Bower.

I don't know about others but I have a Sit-n-Stroll we use in the NSX. It is the only car seat that converts from a car seat to a stroller in one mechanical step. It is (was?) also the only FAA approved seat meaning you can bring it on the plane. It works front facing or rear facing and the stock belt actually goes OVER the seat so that you don't have to be a contortionist to get the seat belt behind it. Actually the sholder belt goes in a special spot around the top handle to act as a tether.

It seems fitting in an NSX and people are bewildered when I show up - pull out a car seat - extract the "wheel" using the release - and wheel my kid in style - often without waking them up (a huge advantage vs. other car seats).

Whenever we are in the airport and we retract the wheel or pull them out - people are amazed and chase us down to ask us about them. It really is humourous.

I would give you more information but my seat is in Florida as my partner was in line to borrow it for the weekend.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Originally posted by cpmoran:
Me too. The car seat I have in the legend scratches the leather and that would be a big no no in the nsx.

I put a towel down on the seat, and then the carseat on top of the towel. That seems to keep the leather unscratched pretty well.

An airbag on/off switch would be a welcome thing -- has anyone put together an aftermarket switch for this?

-Bob ('94 #496)

I started taking my daughter to daycare at about 4 months of age. Since there isn't a passenger airbag in my '91, it worked out nicely.

Kinda funny, it took maybe 45 seconds from turning the NSX on to when she was sound asleep.

I have the Eddie Bauer Leather High Back Booster. It will last until he is 80 lbs.
Someone makes a rubber mat to protect leather seats (I bought it at Baby's R Us). It's like an uncarpetted floormat. I also use a black towel under the rubber mat as I am unsure what the rubber would do in direct contact with the leather for prolonged periods of time. The rubber is like 3/16 thick, so it takes those sharp contact points & edges on the back side and spreads out the indentation points. I also glued some closed cell foam to the back of the car seat at the worst pressure point locations.

Sounds like a 4 month old beat my son for the youngest. I didn't want to try putting a rear facing seat in, and at least in CA, they have to be rear facing until they are 1 year old. My son hasn't fallen asleep in the NSX yet, I think it's too exciting for him, sitting next to daddy, trying to see out through the windshield. I'm sure a longer trip would put him out though.

I remember someone posting a web site in Japan with accessories that were not availible here and they actually had an NSX specific car seat. It looked like a mini racing seat and was very cool/expensive.

Also I remember reading in the manual that dealers can install some sort of teather system in our cars.

food for thought

I have the Recaro Start Seat in Black, and it is really nice. Not as cool loking as some, but VERY well constructed, and SAFE. It expands as fast as my daughter (2-1/2), and will work until she is 90lbs I beleive.

The rubber mat and towel underneath are good ideas, i use them as well.

She loves to ride in the NSX, and all of "daddys cars". The NSX is the most fun though. I love the look as people scan the car, then realize its a little girl in the pass seat.

5000B.jpg

Steve

------------------
Steve
89 325is "snowmobile"
91 NSX
01 MDX
02 M3 SMG

"automotive indulgence"
www.thelastdetail.com

[This message has been edited by SJJ28 (edited 18 February 2003).]

Originally posted by cpmoran:
I have a scroth 4 point harness. will any car seat work? The stock belts have been removed.

I would be concerned using the scroth belts with a car seat - especially if you have a newer car with the passenger airbag. IMO - the stock belts should only be used with a car seat.

A harness is designed to "give" during an accident (or a fall) to manage the forces on your body. The belts should be worn very snugly and the "sewn" areas on the tops of the belts "give" so that your body slows slower then the car. Many people worry about using an airbag in this instance as you will be much closer to the stearing wheel then when using the stock belts. Also - I don't know about the NSX but many cars now have different airbag settings for if it senses the stock seat belt plugged in. It actually fires HARDER when no seat belt is detected and thus would further add to a dangerous situation.

The stock belts are much less snugly fitting and "elastic" and work with pre-tentioners to tighten and restrict movement towards the dash.

I have a harness bar and kept both the 3" formula one belts AND the stock belts. 99.9% of the time I just hide the 3" belts behind the seat and use the stock belts.

Not being preachy - just sharing some information I hope helps.

My nsx is a white black and does not have a passanger side airbag. I bought the car with belts and I really like them. ( I do were them very snug or not all) I would like to take my son to the beach or something in the summer I guess I have the time to find a passanger stock seat belt. Does anyone know what I should expect to pay? and what is involved in the install? I would not buying some used belts.

nsx4fun said:
Well so far, I hear 2,3, & 4 year olds. At 12 months old, my son might be the youngest. I definitely started as soon as it was legal in CA.

Well, actually, my son was born 01/01/00 and I got my first 2000 NSX March 7, 2000, so he was riding at 3 months. Since then, he has ridden in my 2002 BMW M3s, 1975 Porsche 911S, 1996 C4S and 2002 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo. So far, He likes the Twin Turbo the most. :) Smart kid. Anyway, now that I have another 2000 NSX-T, he is dying to ride in it too. We have a RECARO car seats for both boys and they both love to ride. My oldest is 4 now and on the way to pre-school he always wants me to go faster... looks like it is genetic. :)

I know the Canadian NSX comes with the bolt and hook for the child's seat. So you can use the strap on the back of the seat.
Do you guys have them in the US?
Is it required for you to use the child seat?

prova4re said:
I know the Canadian NSX comes with the bolt and hook for the child's seat. So you can use the strap on the back of the seat.
Do you guys have them in the US?
Is it required for you to use the child seat?

The US cars don't have the bolt and hook pre-installed... but it's available from our Acura dealers. We just have to buy the parts and install it. No need to drill, etc.

It's not required to have it, but all new cars are required to have attachments built-in and ready to go.

Back