• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Centerconsole options for CD-unit? And doesn't SOS sell these anymore??

BenDF said:
Well, I was contemplating making two versions depending on the requests here. However, if everyone wants something different, it's not going to happen.

I was thinking one just like OEM, and one with just the cut out for the temp controls. What do you guys prefer?

i doubt most people need an identical OEM one (meaning: with stock stereo opening, stock ac opening, and ash tray opening) as then they can use their STOCK ones...

i think the 2 most versatile options are:

a) looks like OEM: (ash tray, and ac temp) but deletes the stock stereo for a one "din" stereo face cutout. but also design to simply cut larger for those seeker an in-dash double "din" feature.

b) ac temp ONLY precut (as this is almost a requirement): delete the ash tray, and stock stereo (because then people have more "room or face" to have options to cut out: double din layouts, in-dash EQ's, or switches, and other gauges if needed.

just my 2 cents...

JDMnsxR said:
i doubt most people need an identical OEM one (meaning: with stock stereo opening, stock ac opening, and ash tray opening) as then they can use their STOCK ones...

Let me know if this is true for you guys. I thought people would be upgrading for the fact that they can get in Carbon Fiber.

I am still waiting on one from prestige body kits in california. If I don't here anything from them by January I will purchase one also.

I would only want the shiter, climate, and e-brake cut out. nothing else in Carbon Fibre.

What is DIN? and waht does kevlar look like? I know of carbon kevlar pads, kevlar bullet proof vests...but not a center console.....

a) looks like OEM: (ash tray, and ac temp) but deletes the stock stereo for a one "din" stereo face cutout. but also design to simply cut larger for those seeker an in-dash double "din" feature.

I'm in for one of these. I plan to finish in factory color so I don't care what you make it out of.

+1 OEM cutouts except DIN for my Alpine.

Ben, I think there are other sources for the CF stock layout.... most people who change out the dash do so because we want to go aftermarket for the Head Unit.

CL65 Captain said:

Ben, I think there are other sources for the CF stock layout.... most people who change out the dash do so because we want to go aftermarket for the Head Unit.

That makes sense.

OEM is what I want. I'm one of those people who prefer a clean factory look and don't want a cheap carbon looking overlay. Factory style is good as you can tell from the demand of the 02 OEM sidskirts. If you are going to make the center console in carbon, it would be nice if there were matching door trim peices as well.

Any OEM stuff is expensive to replace. So having an alternative replacement part would be great.

JDMnsxR said:
b) ac temp ONLY precut (as this is almost a requirement): delete the ash tray, and stock stereo (because then people have more "room or face" to have options to cut out: double din layouts, in-dash EQ's, or switches, and other gauges if needed.[/B]

just my 2 cents...

I would be interested in this.

JDMnsxR said:

I'm in for this also. Does anyone make the ashtray door in CF? also looking to get the CF door trim...

looks like those will cover the most versatile (wide range of options) that people can choose...

a "DIN" is the size (rectangular) for a standard stereo headunit. a double "DIN" is just a larger opening for a larger headunit... so if we can have an option to have them cut out double or single din (essentially the mold would still be same) just having a guy grind out simply based on a single or double "DIN" template would be good enough...

and obviously once the molds are made, finishes can be made in either CF or fiberglass... but i think people will be amazed with the DOWNFORCE smoked/tinted CF finish... is sweet...

DrVolkl said:
Definitely.

I went thru the Dali CF one...too much cutting, etc. Now I have the SOS carbon fiber plate, which is nice and all, but I'd really rather have something that didn't look patched into place. I bet some boost guages would fit great between the stereo and ash tray if the stereo was mounted high enough.
^^^This is exactly what I want to avoid.^^^

CL65 Captain said:

^^^This is no different then what I was asking for on my post #18^^^ :confused: :confused:

BenDF said:
That makes sense.

Here are my 2 cents on the two versions I think should be reproduced.

** Version #1 all oem cut outs w/ single din
** Version #2 all oem cut outs (except ashtray) w/ double din

** See post #18 for listing of the oem cut outs.

I'll be in for sure if all the above can be done.

Last edited:
JDMnsxR said:

EXACTLY WHAT I WANT! just in kevlar :)

and the I dea of having someone to cut if double din is requested is genius too, for me single din should be fin but if the need arrises my buddy's audio shop I am sure can make the required mods to make it fit

Hi

Any news from DF?

Time flies and if I go crazy and want to finish the stereo project before I take the NSX out of hibernation I need to get going soon.

Regards

Let me know if this is true for you guys. I thought people would be upgrading for the fact that they can get in Carbon Fiber.
Exactly Ben!

I'd get it just for looks and I want cut outs for the OEM stereo.

Keeping the ash tray or not is a tricky question. If you can make the lid in carbon it would be nice, otherwise it wont look right and you might a swell delete it.

And since i have a eurospec id like a cut out for the JDM button cluster near the glove compartment, but i guess id have to make that cut out myself.:tongue:

Any chance for door window control panels in carbon?

Guys,

since Ben is up to make 2 versions...i think it would be fair that the 2 versions were:

1 - EXACTLY like OEM but in CF or kevlar or FRP
2 - only with AC temp

why i say this???

because who would want the OEM but in CF could get it choosing #1

who wanted nothing, single din, double din, no ashtray, whatever could get it choosing #2 and make a custom cut out at his own wishes..

one OEM and one fully custumizable ... i think it's fair

i would go for a EXACTLY oem like one... i do not intend to install other Head-unit, nor delete the ashtray....EXACTLY oem

what you guys say about this??? and you Ben???

I don't know about the OEM replica one. I'm thinking most people who want to modify their centerconsoles, do it because they want to fit a CD-player on it.

I don't care ashtray no ashtray etc, but the idea was to make room for a single-din headunit so that I could listen to CD's :)

Back