• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Master Cylinder black grease?

I was checking the clutch master cylinder under the dash and noticed there is a couple of drops of black grease around the black rubber boot and also some on the metal rod. I was wondering if it is black grease inside the rubber boot or it is something else?

I didn't see any clutch/brake fluid around there and the clutch fluid level is about the same. So is it normal for the grease to leak out a bit over time or I need a new clutch master cylinder? Thanks.

It may be the master leaking - the fluid turns black because the seals breakdown over time.

If it is the fluid, it'll be black in the reservoir - change the master and slave as a set.

the black substance is kinda thick like grease. the fluid in the reservoir is normal color. I was wondering if there is black grease inside the clutch master cylinder rubber boot?

It may be the master leaking - the fluid turns black because the seals breakdown over time.

If it is the fluid, it'll be black in the reservoir - change the master and slave as a set.

Back