• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Confused...

Long story short
1) Put a $500 deposit down for a NSX (private seller) He agrees to hold the car for a month as i told him i needed to wait for my refinance on my business to get a loan for a car
2) Local credit union WILL not take this NSX as it has exempt on the title.
3) He says the deposit is his. true or not true?

I was going to make a contract to write down the rules of the agreement but the guy was very "trustworthy" from when i first met him he also had another nsx and such.

He said i should read into "earnest money deposit" which i did and it says "If for any reason the deal doesn't go through i.e. from financing/banking then the seller must forfeit the deposit"

I'm confused here I would of thought that deposit money is mine since the deal never went through.

Advice?

Unless your receipt of the deposit says "nonrefundable", the money should be given back. However, this doesn't mean that the guy can't be a a$$hole and keep the money.

so to recap, you put a deposit down, for him to hold it for a month. And since your credit union wouldnt finance is, you want the deposit back??

sorry, but maybe there are pieces to the pussle missing, did you check with your credit union before putting down the deposit. I mean, a month is a long time for the car to sell, and he may have already had people that would've already bought the car, had he not been under the impression that the car was already spoken for

Is this a verbal agreement or written on some sort of documentation? If it was documented; was it notorized?

From little information provided, I would say the money is his.

so to recap, you put a deposit down, for him to hold it for a month. And since your credit union wouldnt finance is, you want the deposit back??

sorry, but maybe there are pieces to the pussle missing, did you check with your credit union before putting down the deposit. I mean, a month is a long time for the car to sell, and he may have already had people that would've already bought the car, had he not been under the impression that the car was already spoken for

Delete.

Last edited:
+1 on this. Ask to split the difference. If you assume that he had the car listed for sale somewhere and incurred some kind of cost associated with that you should give him some money for his trouble. A month is a long time to hold a car for someone. That's why they say "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

Why don't you ask for half of it back.

I say the money is his man. From my understanding a deposit like that will be lost if you can't pay the rest of the funds off in the agreed time. You can try to settle for half and half but I doubt it. Sounds like the guys pretty convinced it's all his. According to the information I got below it seems like either or can claim it's both theirs... Although this is for real estate but interesting read regardless.

The Earnest Money Deposit
Most offers to buy a house are accompanied by a check. This check is generally referred to as the "earnest money deposit." The basic reason for the deposit is to impress the seller that the buyer "earnestly" intends to purchase the property.

The amount of the deposit varies from purchase to purchase, depending on a variety of factors. If a property generates a lot of interest, a buyer may make a larger deposit to convince the seller that their offer is stronger than the others. During "hot" markets, deposits are generally larger than during slow markets.

In normal times, buyers should hesitate before making a deposit that is larger than two percent of the purchase price. Underwriting guidelines sometimes require strict documentation of such deposits. A buyer may often be required to show a bank statement just prior to the date of the check, plus evidence that the check actually cleared the bank. If you're closing quickly, this might require a trip to the teller window at your bank.

There are reasons to try and keep the deposit as small as possible, but not so small that the seller doesn't take it seriously. You see, once a buyer and seller agree to terms, the earnest money deposit is usually placed in a "trust" account. At that point it is no longer the buyer's money -- it belongs jointly to the buyer and seller.

Almost all deals close and the earnest money funds are applied to the buyer's down payment and closing costs. As the saying goes, however -- there are exceptions to the rule.

Some sellers think that if the deal falls through, the earnest money deposit is automatically forfeit. Some buyers think that if the deal doesn't close, they automatically get the money back.

Neither one is true.

Even when the failure to close is the buyer's fault, the seller doesn't have a "right" to the deposit as a way to "punish" the buyer. Nor does the buyer automatically get the entire deposit back, even when they are not at fault.

First, there are normally a small amount of cancellation fees that must be paid. These fees are collected from the deposit. Second, since the deposit is held in trust, both the buyer and seller must agree on the disposition of the funds. This is a quirk of law in most states and the real estate agents and their companies have no control over the situation.

If something goes wrong very early in the deal, the seller normally understands and the deposit is usually returned to the buyer without a fuss. When things go awry later in the transaction, both parties usually exercise common sense and negotiate a fair solution. In a few rare occurrences, the buyer and seller find it difficult to agree.

The point is that is always makes sense to reach an agreement. Failure to agree ties the money up for awhile, could possibly lead to further legal action and inconvenience, and it just becomes a frustrating mess for both sides -- more so than you realize at the time.

Serious problems are the exception, not the rule. Most "challenges" are routine to a qualified professional real estate agent. The situation may be new to you, but the agent may have dealt with it many times in the past

Last edited:
A few years back I entered into a similar agreement however, the Porsche owner said he'd give the deposit back if there was a legitimate issue with the car after the inspection.

Guess what? The car had a bad engine leak so I backed out of the deal. Guy kept my deposit and to this day I wish I hadn't given him it. Live and learn I guess...:mad:

All I'm saying put yourself in his shoes. Let's say the car cost 40grand and you left $500 deposit what's the ratio on that, 80:1 so let's say u wanted to buy a $5000 accord with that ratio what's the deposit, that's a $62.50 deposit, so same story. Come on my friends easy math.....common sense is the law of the land. Stick ur law books where the sun doesn't shine.

If you came back to him within the 1 month window and told him you could not purchase the car, ask for the deposit back.

what is the point of the deposit? if there was an issue with the car that you found prior to taking delivery (eg inspection) i would expect for him to give you your money back. However in this case, it is not his fault that you could not complete the deal. I am surprised that you are so surprised to post here that he is not giving your money back.

Unless information he gave you was wrong or information he withheld was material, the deposit is his and served its function. I cannot discern whether the status of the title was known prior to dealing with your credit union; if it there was an issue regarding the title's legitimacy that was not covered prior the deposit being given that's a different story.

If I was the owner, I would have returned it. I hate to keep other people's money, even for a second.

And if I was the OP, I wouldn't expect to get it back.

Always be nicer but keep low expectations of others. You will be more content this way.

If I was the seller, and I was with your deposit, saved the car for you, then waited a whole month and you backed up, I'd keep 50% for my time and hassle ..... I would give you back 50%, that IN MY MIND would be the right thing .... IN MY MIND

Of course I'd PISSED with you lol

Best case for you, split the 500$...as the others have said the seller may have lost other potential buyers waiting for you to crap out...

I can't quote on everyone and explain everything so i'll try to go in more detail.

Saw the car and went the day after to go look at it. Right when I saw it I wanted it so I asked if "I" put a deposit down could you hold it for me. He said sure whatever is fine...$500... This guy gave me his story of holding the car for his buddy for 7 months and then that guy couldn't get funding.

I told him my situation that it may take a month or longer and he honestly "Oh yeah that's fine i'm in no rush for the $$ or selling" From there I thought "ok awesome i found an honest NSX owner"

I even texted him every 2-3 times a week letting him know any updates or such. Never did I once .. just "leave him hanging". I didn't make a contract just because i just a got a feeling he was a stand up guy. It was a verbal agreement he would hold the car for me for a month or so for $500 the "refunding" part was never confronted.

During the 2nd or 3rd week I asked if i could get a PPI done. The car needed just the regular "maintenance" Valve gasket/tb/wp etc (Which i already figured since he didn't know any maintenance on the car)

4th week came around I finally got everything done with my refinance so I went to my CU that i got my other NSX in. From the last 2 years they changed the classic car loan to 100% value to 60% value. That just meant I had to pull out cash for the remainder etc.. I'm still on the process of buying the car . I never backed out of anything.

Me and the seller made an appt with the CU to meet. When we got there the CU looked at his title and the mileage was exempt. They gave me processes into making this deal work i.e. going to DMV to see if we can get the old odo reading on the previous title. (which they couldn't find) then the last resort was to talk to the undewriters at the CU. After about 3 days of them checking it out they DID not want to do the loan. I also checked other local credit unions here and all of them did not want to do the loan with the mileage being exempt.

Here are similar examples:
I was selling a low mileage tacoma not too long ago. I got A LOT of emails about this car (of course this wouldn't be the same with a NSX) but I kept all of them in hand EVEN when a guy put a deposit down. The guy seemed all for it and during a 2 weeks of back & forth emails and pictures. At the end he backed out and right away i gave back his deposit, no fuss.
During the process of my NSX with underwriters and DMV, the seller kept nudging that he had 2 potential buyers waiting with cash. So for holding out a month with this car... my question is "did he really lose any money?" With the market these days I see a lot of NSXs just sitting. At the end of our last conversation he was saying "You made me hold this car yet i have 2 other buyers waiting to fly out". The only money loss would be on my side as I paid for the whole PPI check.

All in All it seemed like i was trying everything to get this car. After reading others peoples post I guess a 50/50 for the deposit would be fair because he held it and lost "sales". I just had many different situations like this one where the seller just gave me the back the deposit without a fuss. Just put yourself in my shoes and maybe i jinxed myself early on but I felt like that $500 was FOR SURE going into the price of the final car, like i knew this car was mine already. So if you aren't getting what you wanted with that cash down... you'd just want it back and go on.

Last edited:
Oooh, that's what I wanted to hear if there were more to the story. Did the seller know, and notify you of the mileage issue?

Oooh, that's what I wanted to hear if there were more to the story. Did the seller know, and notify you of the mileage issue?

No he didn't even know it was exempt. I'd like to ALSO add that after he found out it was exempt he did semi "threaten" to back out of this deal itself... and i was the one trying to get it done going to the CU myself. So really I never tried to back out of the deal, I literally went to the last resort to get this car (even borrowing some cash).

OH WELL
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

Last edited:
The exempt mileage is the issue. That is an issue with the title of the car, not your intent to purchase. You have acted in good faith.

That dude owes you a refund of the $500 deposit. That would be the "right thing" to do. Of course, there are a lot of people who don't do the "right thing"...

Good luck man.

P

It is the owners responsibility to disclose any title irregularities or item defects. Ignorance is no excuse. You deserve your deposit back.
Happy Motoring!

Back