• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coolant hose burst

Rplacing coolant hoses

I had the top coolant hose develop a pin hole leak while driving. It spewed white smoke while at 60mph. Luckily I shut it down before it overheated and had the car towed. I`m not sure how much coolant I lost. How hard is it to replace all my hoses as I have 90K and they are all original. Also I`m 60 miles from the nearest dealer and was going to change the one hose, top off my system and drive to the dealer. Will I be allright or do I have to bleed the system for that short of drive? thanks guys. Mike

Replacing all the coolant hoses on the X is a big job. I believe to do all of them you are looking at 22 pcs. The ones that fail most often are the 2 large ones between the engine and a the fire wall they are referred to as the Dos Amigos in NSX circles. The other interesting part of working on the X cooling system is bleeding to get the air out. There are 4 places you need to bleed off trapped air, at the thermostat, the heater core, radiator, fire wall. It's not hard to do but its very important, trapped air will stop coolant circulation and over heat your engine.

I had a lower coolant hose by the engine burst on me at speed. Luckily I shut it down before I overheated. I got the new hose and will install it, but I`m going to drive it to the dealer to have the cooling system bled. The dealer is 60 miles away. Will I make it without overheating??? Thanks Mike

bleeding the coolant systen is not very hard. You might want to try it yourself before driving 60 miles to have it done. Look under the reference section in the FAQs and download the 1991 service manual. The steps for bleeding are in there and are easy to follow. It is good for all NSX years.

You will be ok with the distance. Just bring some spare coolant and water.

Yes, definitely change the other 2 main coolant hoses. They are probably not far behind the one that just burst. If you are handy you can DIY, but I'm told it can be frustrating (I have not actually done that job myself yet).

If you have a bunch of air in your cooling system, no, you will probably not make it anywhere close to 60 miles without overheating. Overheating aluminum blocks is bad. Definitely bleed it first.

P.S. Please do not cross-post (posting essentially the same message to multiple forums). I have merged your other thread into this one.

Lud said:
If you have a bunch of air in your cooling system, no, you will probably not make it 60 miles without overheating. Overheating aluminum blocks is bad. [/B]

Well, i have done a trip like that for about 35 miles - While I keep my rpm below 3,200. It also helped that I used regular tape and taped up the hole while I poured in the replacement liquid. I have had 3 hoses bursted on me on 2 difference NSXes. Not one time did I required a tow truck. i waited for the motor to cooled down, taped up the hole (each burst at a difference time,) poured in the liquid, and be on my way.

This is my personal experiences and mishaps - You might feel otherwise about driving your car for that diatance, but i have had no problem and would do it again. Also, one thing that helped was: when I came up to a traffic light, stop sign, or a straight away with the car at speed, I put the car in neutral to cool it down.

The hoses, you can replaced them yourself with hoses from NAPA auto parts. They don't have to look exactly like the factory hoses, as long as they have the same diameter and will fit into the tube outlet on both sides.

Noted, replacing the hoses yourself is not a very easy job. Required a slippery hand and patience, plus some 10 mm wrench and sockets, pliers, and some other things. However, once you have done a set, the next time will be ok.

Mine burst under the front hood. It look like a rubber stop. That was 2 years ago. The engine is still in very good condition except I need to replace the coil packs...soon.

Back