• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cost of ownership: NSX vs. Corvette and Cobra

I realize this has been beaten to death in regards to European manufacturers, where the NSX is superior in almost all cases. However, can anybody who has owned a C6 'Vette (any trim) or 03/04 Mustang Cobra provide input as to the ownership costs of these cars compared to an NSX?

Thanks,
Clark

Way too vague of a question to give an intelligent answer to. Depends on the car, purchase price, etc. there's a big difference between a $20,000 NSX and a $79,000 NSX. Both are an NSX.

Way too vague of a question to give an intelligent answer to. Depends on the car, purchase price, etc. there's a big difference between a $20,000 NSX and a $79,000 NSX. Both are an NSX.

True, I should have elaborated. Running costs would be more of the question rather than price. The NSX would probably be a lower mileage, well-taken care of in the 97-01 range. The Vette would be similar (except in year), while I would expect the Cobra in that price range would be a pristine example with very low miles - essentially new, or as much as an 03/04 car can be.

LoL if u must ask then u cant afford either one.
I would disagree :) I take very good care of my cars, and will in the future, whether it be an NSX or something else. But I would prefer to have numbers for comparison so I can know what to expect to put into it.

Last edited:
The big difference is in depreciation. There's almost none on the NSX. Reliability is probably as good or better than the newer cars. But really... Id rather slit my wrist than to give up this beautiful, rare, all aluminum supercar for one of those two mass produced clunkers owned by every high school kid in America... Sit in both cars with the engine off and look ahead at the road. Then get back to me. One feels like a race car and the other two are like boxes you sink into the middle of and steer.

A vette and a mustang are fun when driven hard. An NSX is fun ALL THE TIME.

The big difference is in depreciation. There's almost none on the NSX. Reliability is probably as good or better than the newer cars. But really... Id rather slit my wrist than to give up this beautiful, rare, all aluminum supercar for one of those two mass produced clunkers owned by every high school kid in America... Sit in both cars with the engine off and look ahead at the road. Then get back to me. One feels like a race car and the other two are like boxes you sink into the middle of and steer.

A vette and a mustang are fun when driven hard. An NSX is fun ALL THE TIME.

Thank you :) I will have to hop in each to get the perspective..

+1,what turbo said:smile:
The parts for a mustang I would assume are cheaper making it cheaper to maintain, although Honda parts are reasonably priced, parts for the NSX are a little pricier than it's little brother's and cousin's; Usually when comparing the NSX to it's exotic looking rivals with out a doubt the NSX is way cheaper to maintain, as those cars schedule maintenance is not the same as you're average car, while the NSX requires normal scheduled maintenance.

Last edited:
I think a better comparison would have been, NSX vs Corvette vs Viper.

I'm sure there are owners of nsx's that have at some point owned c6 vettes and cobra mustangs,but of course the parts for those cars will be cheaper,labor is what it is.I know the cost to buy for the nsx makes it a potential used car for any enthusiast but the cars mentioned and the nsx experience and feel are so different.

There are lots of components to cost of ownership, including depreciation, insurance, gas, scheduled maintenance (including parts and labor), unplanned repairs (ditto), etc. And most of these will vary depending on how many miles you drive, what kind of miles (e.g. racetrack), where you live, etc. That's a lot of numbers to calculate, and a lot of variables that you would need to hold constant to analyze.

There are lots of components to cost of ownership, including depreciation, insurance, gas, scheduled maintenance (including parts and labor), unplanned repairs (ditto), etc. And most of these will vary depending on how many miles you drive, what kind of miles (e.g. racetrack), where you live, etc. That's a lot of numbers to calculate, and a lot of variables that you would need to hold constant to analyze.

Well, a specific dollar analysis wasn't exactly what I was looking for, rather than just a general thinking on it. But thank you :)

Owned a Vette, driven several Cobras. In simplest terms follow this guide with your priorities:

Corvette- light, agile, but in non-Z06 form, you will ALWAYS be left wanting. expensive to mod, expensive to fix. Tires and brakes alone are extremely expensive. Highly modified for horsepower, loses all fun to drive on a frequent basis due to excessive speed and LSX engine noise. Cheapest interior of the bunch.

Cobra- Sounds incredible. Horrible driving position. Horrible seats. Horrible brakes. True blue-blooded american muscle. Easy to mod. Easier to fix. Highest HP per dollar spent. But lies within the same vein as a TT supra.. Dyno queen. no curvy mountain roads for this girl.

NSX- balance, precision, and a zen-like driving experience. This car pays back dividends on your investment. as emotionally moving stationary as it is in motion. The greatest thing honda has done, and never since been able to repeat. The nsx is to a car what inner peace is to human life. All things in harmony. All things in moderation. All things in balance. Yin and yang. it is as cheap or as expensive as you let it be. protect yourself on initial purchase with a PPI, and understand that this car is a classic, a legend, and must be respected as such. No cheap parts, no cutting corners. It can take abuse, after all it IS a honda, but as anything, the more you abuse it, the more youll pay for in the long run.

in an easier comparison

Cobra = driving for domination

Corvette = driving for attention

NSX = driving for bliss

Yeah from a purely fiscal stanpoint, the NSX will be the better investment based mainly on the descriptions you set out for the other two options.

From my observations watching e-bay sale prices and listing prices on various classified sources, the NSX is pretty much done depreciating. Some, particularly rare color combos or super low mile cars, may have even started creeping back up a little...although that's up to question. So if you buy one and keep it maintained, and don't pile on miles, you might break even or make money after a few years if you can bring yourself to actually sell it.

A new-ish Corvette still probably has a chunk of depreciation left, particularly when a newer version comes out (soon-ish). That said, if you only planned on keeping a C6 for a year or two just for giggles, you might get out of it without losing your shirt.

A brand-new Mustang...of any trim, will halve its value in that same time period. Yes, they are much better put together, faster, and better looking than they've almost ever been....but they still make eleventymillion of them.

Compared to that, the cost of replacing an alternator is kinda inconsequential. I'd say maintenance-wise, it will depend entirely on what you plan to do with these cars.

-Cruise them around, go for a spirited drive every now and then, wax it one weekend a month and stare at it?

You might actually come out ahead with a well maintained NSX there because in all likelihood nothing will go wrong, tires will probably be cheaper, you use less oil per change than a Vette, the NSX probably gets better mileage than either (Vette will be close though), and insurance is probably WAY cheaper than the 'stang.

-Plan to boost it for your speed fix?
-Track car?

Then things get fuzzy

Last edited:
Any one of them will be kept a long time, long to the tune of 10 years or more. I only say that because people change, and so may I. But as I am right now - I want to buy a great, classic car, and drive it until it dies, or until I can't drive it anymore. The age of a car, or how long I've had it, has no effect on me. I picked these in particular because each has something special. The NSX - well, I would be quite horrified if somebody here didn't know its story :). The 03/04 "Terminator" Cobras are the ultimate child of John Coletti. It has a great story behind it - it was reborn with great commitment, just like the NSX. Those are special cars. The Vette is a bit less special. Though I was hoping by the time I'm ready to make this decision, that a 429 Convertible (essentially Z06 convertible) would be depriciated enough to get. IIRC it is a unique trim for the year, so would have some exclusivity to it. If not, could consider an excellent late-year C4 ZR-1. That car will be very collectable, and cool one day :)

Probably won't do serious mods - nothing that can't be reverted easily. Might be tracked, but if so, very occasionally. Maybe once or twice a year, and not much at all those days.

in an easier comparison

Cobra = driving for domination

Corvette = driving for attention

NSX = driving for bliss

I think that summed it up perfectly, with the cobra you probably feel like you can beat anyone in a highway pull, with the corvette you get a bit of both with the attention feeling and the NSX is more of a personal thing. I'd say a 500WHP cobra would be fun as hell... for a while until all that power gets old
P.S, :My dream garage includes both an NA1 NSX and a badass terminator cobra

The cars you mentioned are not in the same price range. The price of a low mileage cobra or low mileage C6 would be the same as a 91-94 NSX. The only 97-01 in that price range will have been rolled. You could buy a solid cobra AND a C6 for the price of a lower mileage NA2 NSX.

Ignoring all that, the NSX is more expensive to own as less people work on them so labor prices are higher. Also not as many off brand parts for the NSX versus the others which increases cost. With that said, they are all cheap to own assuming you buy a well cared for example of each.

The cars you mentioned are not in the same price range. The price of a low mileage cobra or low mileage C6 would be the same as a 91-94 NSX. The only 97-01 in that price range will have been rolled. You could buy a solid cobra AND a C6 for the price of a lower mileage NA2 NSX.

Ignoring all that, the NSX is more expensive to own as less people work on them so labor prices are higher. Also not as many off brand parts for the NSX versus the others which increases cost. With that said, they are all cheap to own assuming you buy a well cared for example of each.

The C6 Vette would most likely be in Z06 trim....or, if I can find, an LT4 (base w/full leather-wrapped interior, very rare trim). Both would be up in the price range I am referring to - $45k-ish. The mustang would, in ridiculously pristine/collector condition, be $35k tops.

thanks to everybody for their thoughts here so far!

I have a 2008 z06. Bought it new during employee pricing paid 68k.

Right now it books out at around 41k. I have 30,000 miles on it. Fantastic car. Does not weigh much more than NSX and has almost twice HP. But if you run it hard the consumables will drain you. Tires 1500-2000 a set. Brakes etc. The car is so powerful it's hard to stay off the throttle. Insurance is surprisingly cheap mainly because the car is owned mostly older guys as opposed to an EVo.

I have spent a ton of money on wear and tear items because I track the car every two months.

I will caution you if you are considering a Z06 research the LS7 as there have a rash of exhaust valve failures and it is not known how widespread the issue is. Strongly consider a ext warranty. The LS7 is a14,000 dollar crate motor.

My nsx is a1996. I have had it for 4months and put 1000 miles. Needed a clutch which set me back a couple of grand. CCU was repaired. But other than that it has been smooth sailing. I don't see it depreciateting much more.

MC

1996 NSX-T (the slow one)
2008 Z06 (the fast one)
2011 CTS-V (the fat one)

I owned an 03 Cobra about a year before buying the NSX.

Others have already hit home on the differences...there are a lot.

The Mustang is a fun car for just nailing the gas on the highway. Power levels are ridiculous with cheap modifications. The cars are also dead nuts reliable save for things like clutch and rear tires.

That being said, the driving position is bad, the car is heavy and front heavy, the interior is like torture, the fit and finish is similar to walmart furniture, and on and on. Really you are buying that car for one thing, the engine, and it is an awesome engine.

The NSX, on the other hand, has awesome engineering in every single part of the car, from the chassis, to the engine, to the seats.

One of these cars competes with Porsche the other with Camaro.

I have a Cobra and a Z06. Owned both since 2011.

Maintenance costs

* Cobra
- Bought it with 25k miles
- Drove 10k miles
- Typical oil changes
- $1k for new tires

* Z06
- Bought it new
- Drove 15k miles
- Typical oil changes
- $2k for new tires
- Had to replace one tire pressure sensor

Insurance
Comp coverage with high limits for a single 29 year old male.
No accidents **knock on wood** but have plenty of speeding tickets within the last 3 years.
Z06 $600/6months
Cobra $750/6months

**Edit**
Mod-ability
* Cobra
Forged internals. 650rwhp easy with a twin screw or TVS. Will need suspension upgrades.

* Z06
Don't use FI. Most reliable upgrade is cam/head/intake, which will get a stock Z06 (440rwhp) to around 550rwhp. For the best drivers, that's enough to get in the low 10s and trap in the low 130s with DRs. I prefer the lighter car with less power.

Last edited:
First of all That was sarcasm
Second, In my book its not about cost of ownership
It's all about cost of happiness...at the end of the day I don't care how much money I save or lose...it's all about how happy I am!!

Zaid

Let's not forget this is NSX Prime...that's reads like something on F Chat!!:tongue:

WOW tiki240, thats the best! I could not have said it better.

"NSX- balance, precision, and a zen-like driving experience. This car pays back dividends on your investment. as emotionally moving stationary as it is in motion. The greatest thing honda has done, and never since been able to repeat. The nsx is to a car what inner peace is to human life. All things in harmony. All things in moderation. All things in balance. Yin and yang. it is as cheap or as expensive as you let it be. protect yourself on initial purchase with a PPI, and understand that this car is a classic, a legend, and must be respected as such. No cheap parts, no cutting corners. It can take abuse, after all it IS a honda, but as anything, the more you abuse it, the more youll pay for in the long run."

Back