• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Crashed my nsx tonigh, need some advice. HELP!

Lost control on a wet road and spun out into a tree. I don't know if it's totaled or what though. I hit the tree dead on and it made a V into the hood. Other than that the car is fine from the looks of it. I have to wait and see if it's totaled or what though. I don't know what to do, i'm 21 and this is my first accident. I was told before that the insurance would only give me the book value of what the nsx is worth if it's totaled if that's correct then I basically just lost 15 grand which sucks. Also do they keep the car if it's totaled or can I keep it and sell parts from it? Anyone know anything about any of this, I'm just looking for some info before I talk to insurance tomorrow. Thanks for any input.

your car

Shake, that's terrible! I hope you're ok. Cars are always worth less than people...

I'm no expert at it, but your insurance company's adjuster will give you a pretty good idea of the damage. It may not be totalled, but if the insured value is only $15 (seems very low to me) then that may be the case.

I'm not sure whether or not they let you hold on to the car if they give you the write-off value, but my guess is that they will not.

I would suggest you take someone with you who is VERY knowledgeable about the car to have a look at it. Damage to the sub-chassis may not be worth putting it back on the road.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will have some solid ideas for you...

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Don in Germany

I'm completely fine. I was spinning out of control flying through the woods trying to dodge friggin trees, I noticed that I was going head on towards one so I just braced myself and closed my eyes. The last thing that went through my mind was I hope this damn airbag works. Well, it did and I got out completely unscathed. I had unopened beers in the passenger seat too and they exploded on impact. I wasn't drinking but I was covered in beer though so it was kinda funny when the cops came to the scene and asked if I had anything to drink. It sucked but it could've been way worse. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

You cannot collect from insurance and retain the car for nothing. They want to get as much from the vehicle as they can and will contact some rebuilders and dismantlers. Good to know that you came out unscathed in the wreck.

Shake,

I'm really sorry to hear about your car. I am glad to hear you are OK. The car can be replaced but your health is priceless.

We have had a car totaled before. In this case, the insurance paid us what it would cost to replace the car. They based this on book value for retail sale not for trade in (retail is typically much higher). You will have the choice of either taking the full book value (minus your deductible) or your buy the car from them at salvage value and they will give the difference between the book value and the salvage value (again minus your deductible).

You need to really do some homework. In our case, the insurance company wanted to fix the car which had frame damage. They wanted to cut the back end off and get a "new" one from another damaged car that had been hit in the front. They claimed this was safe and an accepted practice. I refused to accept this. After several rounds of negotiations with them, I finally got them to total the car. I don't remember the exact numbers but if the estimated cost to fix the car is around 60% of book, they will total the car.

Good luck,

--Kevin

Shake,

Glad you're OK. Sorry I couldn't help laughing when I read the part about you covered in beer when the cops came (sure, you haven't been drinking :rolleyes: ). Anyway, I totalled a car out a couple years ago, and they allowed me to swap some parts out as long as I replaced them with another working part. In my case, I was able to take out my aftermarket CD player, speakers, etc. I don't know about more time-involved things: suspension, brakes, but I guess it's worth a try if you have the stock parts.

Shake, sorry to hear about your accident and glad your ok! Hopefully everything works out for the best.......... 2002/2003 face lift?! :D
Good Luck
Z

This is one of the two specific reasons why I always put alcohol in the trunk:

1) Won't look weird or prejudice a police officer against me if I get pulled over
2) Won't smash open if I collide with something, making it awkward with the police and insurance adjuster

Sorry about your car. You have to slow down on wet pavement, man, especially in a rear-wheel-drive car. If you were able to spin out, you were going too fast, it's just that simple.

If they total your car you can always by it back yourself for the salvage price. Then depending on your desires you can part it out or sell it as is to a list member such as myself to rebuild into a track car.

Once you have a picture and a settlement price a number of people here will advise you on the fair value - you should make out a few $1000s more selling it whole, and a few more parting it yourself.

Just based upon past experience and no info on how bad your car is; options to consider.

Shake said:
don't know what to do, i'm 21 and this is my first accident. I had unopened beers in the passenger seat too and they exploded on impact.
OUCH! :eek: Glad you were unhurt. The circumstances don't look too promising for your insurance situation though, what with you being only 21 and having beer at the accident site. I think your insurance premiums are going skyrocket. :( Did you get a ticket?

Thanks for the replies. The beers didn't concern the cops, I told them they were unopened and I wasn't drinking, they didn't question me after that. It was just kinda funny that I was covered in beer (next time they go in the trunk). I got a careless driving ticket however there were no witnesses or cars on the road so I can probably contest it. My insurance is already so high I don't think it can get any higher so I'm not worried about that. I'm just waiting to see if the car is totalled or not. I can't picture getting it fixed and driving it. I will try and post some pics of it tomorrow and you guys can tell me what you think. The car was a mint 91 that I bought with 22k miles on it for $35,000. I doubt that insurance will give me what I paid for the car. Whatever happens I'm sure I lost some money one way or the other.

Glad to hear you're OK.

Unfortunately, you're not alone when it comes to wet weather accidents. The NSX, like other mid-engine cars, can be unforgiving when it's wet.

http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001874.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003387.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004069.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000813.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6270
http://www.nsxsc.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000271.html

Hope you make out OK with the insurance.

-Jim

my X will never see wet roads.

sorry about your misfortune.

you should contest that ticket.

goodluck

My first NSX was totalled in an accident that darn near killed me. Didn't buy it back from the insurance company, (don't know if it was still worth anything?) Beside, I didn't want to look at it anyhow.

Yes, my NSX and MR2 (mid-engined) definitely didn't like water too much. Lost a silver MR2 in the rain some years ago while just making a lane change. As a note, get some tires that have some V-treads on them so they will provide better traction in the wet, (Kumho Supra Estca 72(s) seem to do just fine.) Beside, those V-treads have better grip in the dry, too, I believe, and look much better.

Glad your OK, but damn....NSX isn't... slow down dude....especially on the wet stuff.

anyways, it depends on what kinda insurance you purchased in how much you'll get back...Most of the time they will only pay blue book and on the NSX the blue book is a joke, you'll get screwed..
I hope you spent a little extra and insured it for at least 35K, your purchase price.... If not, fight like hell for the most money you can get....You'll need it for the next time you try to insure an NSX:eek:

But, at least YOU aren't total'd.....Good luck.

Unfortunately, you're not alone when it comes to wet weather accidents. The NSX, like other mid-engine cars, can be unforgiving when it's wet.

Alright, I don't get it. Why would a mid-engined car be any worse in the wet than any other car? Is there any physics behind it that I'm missing or is it just a first hand observation. I would think a more determining factor would be the high performance dry weather tires coupled with aggressive driving. :confused:
Nate

Given the mid-engined vehicle design, the laws of physics would say that when we accelerate, all the power is pushing forward and make us light in the front, (the engine is behind us.) Light in the front would mean easier to lose control and hydro-plane in the wet even though you are going "below the speed limit" or at "acceptable speed." Remember that 65 or 70mph (in some area) is still really fast for the tires to grip in the wet.

High-performance tires do help. I noticed a big different between the tires I have right now and the Kumho(s) that i had.

On the same note, when you accelerate, the weight is pushed towards the rear wheels which further increases the possiblity of fish tailing. I've done this on numerous occasions in my mr2 & nsx. However, on front wheel drive cars, this tend to happen much less.

Any car that is accelerating can be thought of as 'transferring' weight to the rear wheels, just as any car that is braking can be thought of as 'transferring' weight to the front wheels. Just imagine how the car rolls, squats, or dives and you can see where this force is being applied. This occurs whether the engine is front, mid, or rear. So am I missing something in the physics here of mids or is it simply a matter of powerful car + wet road + (maybe not enough caution) = bent metal. Just curious, not pointing fingers!:)

Nate

Yes you are right in that weight is transferred to the rear in all cars when you accelerate however consider that rear wheel drive cars push with the rear wheels and combine that with the transferring of weight and wet weather and you have a worse situation versus a front wheel drive car, accelerating in the wet. Thats my point...not pointing fingers myself.

Ennesssex said:
On the same note, when you accelerate, the weight is pushed towards the rear wheels which further increases the possiblity of fish tailing. I've done this on numerous occasions in my mr2 & nsx. However, on front wheel drive cars, this tend to happen much less.

Actually the opposite is true. The more weight transfered to the rear, the better traction you have and therefore less chance of fishtailing.

It doesn't sound like many of you have actually driven the car hard in the rain. I have had more than one occassion to push the car very hard at the track in the rain. The results? On OEM Yoks in a driving rain with lots of standing water I was able to take the car to straightaway and cornering speeds nearly equalling the speeds I reached in the dry. I never once lost control or even drifted much. Under hard braking, cornering and accelerating the car was a dream to drive.

Driven with care the NSX exhibits no worse wet weather characteristics than any other car. IMO it's even better than most!

Last edited:
I am very surprised at the lack of real facts in this thread. Did none of you research a mid-engine car before you bought one? Do none of you follow racing series that use mid-engined cars (F1, CART, IRL, ALMS etc.)? Before you post your opinions as facts I would dig a little deeper .....

>>Why would a mid-engined car be any worse in the wet than any other car?
POLAR MOMENT OF INERTIA. The NSX has a much lower polar moment than front or rear engined sportscars. I'm not going to explain it here, it's been written up well for at almost 40 years since the first road-going mid engined cars became available. Do a search.

>>the weight is pushed towards the rear wheels which further increases the possiblity of fish tailing.
Wrong. Additional weight equals additional traction. You are describing power oversteer. This is a combination of factors - mainly traction and power - and has nothing to do with the handling characterisitics of the vehicle.

>> doesn't sound like many of you have actually driven the car hard in the rain.
From your next comment it sounds like you have never SPUN your car in the rain which is what is being discussed.

>>the NSX exhibits no worse wet weather characteristics than any other car.
This is ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE and dangerous advice. The NSX, like any mid-engined car gives almost no warning before it spins and is virtually impossible to catch once it starts spinning. Until you take your car over the limit you won't feel this happening.

Back