• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Croc of ........something

So I am at the mall having Birthday dinner for my son at the Rainforest Cafe (getting screwed in the wallet already) and my wife says I want to go get the kids some "Crocs" I said OK remembering the cheep foam rubber sandals that her friend gave her....I walk through the mall looking for her and the kids ..I find them at a Kiosk in the center of the mall with many pairs of Crocs hanging on it..In my mind I am thinking they must cost around 11-15$ they are just lightweight foam rubber and made in China after all.

My wife buys a pair for each kid and a couple things you can get to decorate them I guess. the total?.....$70.89!!!!!!!!! I was shocked and NOT HAPPY.

I just don't understand how the people at the shoe store or mall kiosk can say with a straight face "yeah those are $30":confused:

Is it just me or is this just so incredibly over priced it's insane?:mad:

538495.jpg

http://shop.crocs.com/pc-16-4-cayma...=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products

They are cheaper than Birkenstock sandals.
I seen the ones your talking bout in da mall too.
Are they called [Cloggs or Klogs? <--(Spelling error).]
They are suppose to be comfortable.
But i haven't tried them on.
Ya things at malls are not cheap these days!!! Food, clothes, toys etc. etc.

Birkenstocks are actually made from leather and cork and made in the Netherlands...They can be argued to be real shoes...These "Croc" things are cheap foam rubber produced by 9 year old kids in China!!

Maybe I'm just turning into my grandfather but what are kids these days thinking?.....This reminds me of the overpriced swatch watches that all the kids had to have back in 1990...But once agian at least it was a swiss watch:rolleyes:

Going to the mall is a giant scam.

I wear mine to work on the car in a private garage and to wash the car in. Mine have held up well considering I've had them for over a year. I would never wear mine in public though.

ya dude, I mean thats like .60 worth of plastic foam, prolly some sort of injection molding process and lots of great marketing. My girlfriend wanted to get some and I looked at the price tag and couldn't stop laughing. I have no problem spending money on nice stuff, I just can't consider those "nice" no matter how comfortable they are. My hat is off to the Crocs guys, without that amazing marketing those things would be $5.99 at pay-less shoes.

That's nothing compared to the North Face fleece you see on every kid from 8 to 28 right now. Seriously - from grade school to college every single kid has them (black seems to be the preferred color). Well over $100 for a $10 sweater. They might as well make it the official dress code by me.

I always looked @ them and said "Who wears these things?" I'm happy i put them down for a price tag like that, i'm surprised they're still in the stores.

...My wife buys a pair for each kid and a couple things you can get to decorate them I guess. the total?.....$70.89!!!!!!!!! I was shocked and NOT HAPPY.

I just don't understand how the people at the shoe store or mall kiosk can say with a straight face "yeah those are $30":confused:

Is it just me or is this just so incredibly over priced it's insane?:mad:

538495.jpg

http://shop.crocs.com/pc-16-4-cayma...=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products

It is supply and demand. They can say it with a straight face because people like your wife are buying these items. If people were not buying them, they would be $15 like they should be. I agree with you though that they are a rip off in terms of cost for what you get.

That's nothing compared to the North Face fleece you see on every kid from 8 to 28 right now. Seriously - from grade school to college every single kid has them (black seems to be the preferred color). Well over $100 for a $10 sweater. They might as well make it the official dress code by me.

Are you talking about the North Face Denali that has around 4-5 pockets and is like an inner shell liner for a jacket?

from wikipedia:
(all legal mumbo jumbo applies):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocs

CROX) is an American company founded by Lyndon "Duke" Hanson, Scott Seamans, and George Boedecker[1] in July 2002 in Boulder, Colorado to market a shoe developed and manufactured by Foam Creations, Inc.. Originally intended as a boating/outdoor shoe because of its slip-resistant, non-marking sole, Crocs introduced its first model, the Crocs Beach, in November 2002 at the Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show, selling out the 1000 pairs produced at that time. Despite only a small marketing campaign, Crocs have become popular in the United States (and around the world), because of (according to the company) word of mouth praise for their comfort, bright colors, light weight ( about six ounces), quirky design, the use of a proprietary Croslite material that molds to feet and reported medical benefits that are based upon comments by a number of podiatrists.[2] As of 2007 the popularity of the product line, as evidenced by high sales growth, has the characteristics of a sustained fad, accompanied by both ardent support[3] and disapproval.[4]

Crocs sponsored the 2006 Association of Volleyball Professionals (AVP) Tour.

On October 3, 2006, Crocs purchased Jibbitz, manufacturer of accessories that snap into the holes in Crocs, for US$20 million after co-founder Hanson met the seven-year-old daughter of Jibbitz founder Sheri Schmelzer at a public swimming pool.[5]

Crocs received four patents covering various utility aspects of its footwear, U.S. Patent No. 6993858 B2 issued February 7, 2006, and U.S. Patent Nos. D517,788,, D517,789 and D517,790 issued on March 28, 2006. The Company also announced that it has filed complaints with the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) and the U.S. Federal District Court against 11 companies that manufacture, import or distribute products that Crocs believes infringe its patents.

Contents
[hide]

* 1 Health and safety
* 2 Crocs shoe products
o 2.1 Colors
* 3 Reference
* 4 External links

[edit] Health and safety

Soft and pliable shoes, such as Crocs and flip-flops, came under scrutiny in 2006 when children suffered injuries after friction caused their shoes to melt and become caught in escalator mechanisms.[6][7]

Rapid City Regional Hospital changed its dress code in 2007 to prohibit open-top Crocs, citing safety concerns, but allowing closed-top "Rx" Crocs.[8] Blekinge hospital in Sweden has banned the wearing of Foppatoffels (as imported Crocs are known in Sweden) by hospital staff, which can build up static electricity and interfere with electronic equipment.[9][10]

Crocs are produced in a variety of colors depending on model. The Beach and Cayman styles come in: black, pearl, chocolate, khaki, lime, sage, navy, sea blue, turquoise, light blue, purple, red, fuchsia, pink, bright yellow, butter, orange (coral), silver, army green, gold, charcoal, celery, sea foam, lavender, burgundy, cotton candy and sienna. Most other styles are produce in a palette of four to six colors or two-color combinations.

[edit] Reference

1. ^ When Crocs attack, an ugly shoe tale Diane Anderson, Business 2.0 Magazine (CNNMoney.com), November 3, 2006, accessed February 2, 2007.
2. ^ Not Such A Croc - Might a Fad Shoe's Health Claims Stand? Washington Post. August 1, 2006, accessed 2007-04-19.
3. ^ crocfans.com CrocFans website.
4. ^ ihatecrocs.com IHateCrocs website.
5. ^ Big Ideas, Big Bucks, The Birth of Jibbitz Oprah.com, Feb 2, 2007, accessed Feb. 2, 2007.
6. ^ Crocs can pose a danger on escalators ABC News. Kate Snow, October 5, 2006, accessed 2007-04-19.
7. ^ Experts recommend caution while wearing clogs WMC-TV Memphis Tennessee. September 21, 2006, accessed 2007-04-19.
8. ^ Holey Crocs get the boot at Regional Hospital Mary Garrigan, Rapid City Journal, February 1, 2007, accessed 2007-04-18.
9. ^ Swedish hospital to ban 'Foppatoffels' The Local(Sweden), April 18, 2007, accessed on April 20, 2007.
10. ^ Plastic clogs disrupt machinery in Swedish hospital Guardian Unlimited (AP), April 19, 2007, accessed April 19, 2007.

[edit] External links

* Official Crocs Website
* Crocs

My wife and I bought 4 pairs while in Hawaii about 4 years ago. They were only around $15 a pair then. I use them when I fly since they are easy to take off to go through security. There is also an embarrassing story associated with that from a trip to Arkansas for a Georgia- Arkansas football game a few years ago.

I love these things, my old business partner brought these to me years ago when they first started. Shortly after, the VC that funded our company particapted in Crocs. Needless to say the return has been exponential. If I was younger I would have packed my bags for Boulder a few years back to do it all over again. Crazy story of chance and an incredible ramp time to market. For the past few years demand has far outpaced supply and international growth has just been incredible! The actual product they are selling is the crocslite material, which is being applied to several other markets other than footwear. Time will tell if their footwear division will live past the fad life. My guess is growth will slow and it will carve out its own niche similar to Birks and Uggs.

Interesting - just goes to show you how powerful branding and marketing can be. I'm sure they are very comfortable, but at the end of the day, they are $85 pieces of foam. There's no supply constraint on this product -- the company has just successfully branded its product so that it can be sold for $85 instead of the $15 price point originally introduced at. Good for them. Stupid consumers though - I'm sure there's an identical knockoff for $10 bucks out there somewhere.

The knockoffs from China came across as soon as the popularity took off. Since then the company has gone after the copycats shutting down or working out deals with them. The material difference between the Crocslite and generic injection molded type are pretty apparent but the majority of the people do not realize this or just don’t care. They are doing everything they can to show the street a bit more depth and ensure their investors they are not a one trick pony. So far the performance of the stock has been very rewarding but who knows one year from now:confused:

The knockoffs from China came across as soon as the popularity took off. Since then the company has gone after the copycats shutting down or working out deals with them. The material difference between the Crocslite and generic injection molded type are pretty apparent but the majority of the people do not realize this or just don’t care. They are doing everything they can to show the street a bit more depth and ensure their investors they are not a one trick pony. So far the performance of the stock has been very rewarding but who knows one year from now:confused:

Good god! I didn't know this was a public company, but just checked it out. $2BN market cap / 19x EBITDA multiple for a "single" and easy to duplicate fad-product company. How many crocs are there in this thread??? :eek:

(no offense intended to your VC buddy... well done indeed)

Back