• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CTSC status and possibly group-buy

Price went up? What gives! Last GB was at ~6500sh.. :mad:

Show me something in the states that the price has gone DOWN on in the last 2 years :smile:

Jeff, I'll pick you up in an hour and we can go watch the strippers and donate to their well being, I'm getting sick of this thread.
T Bone

Jeff, I'll pick you up in an hour and we can go watch the strippers and donate to their well being, I'm getting sick of this thread.
T Bone

I hear you...Just meet me in Portland we can pick up Dave. OR's got the nasty anyway.

I just don't understand this forum anymore. 2 years ago CT was on the brink of going under and made the GB W/ Nopi for some fast cash. Now people think a NEW company working hard to get the part together and import the SC itself can offer major discounts :confused:

I hear you...Just meet me in Portland we can pick up Dave. OR's got the nasty anyway.

I just don't understand this forum anymore. 2 years ago CT was on the brink of going under and made the GB W/ Nopi for some fast cash. Now people think a NEW company working hard to get the part together and import the SC itself can offer major discounts :confused:

Let me clarify.. the :mad: should have been :tongue: My intended point was not to complain, but to emphasize that those that got in on the last GB ~$6500 were very wise :)

I'm not complaining about the price. I think it's great that CT is offering a awesome product, perhaps the most bang for the buck product that completely revolutionizes the NSX and is worth every dollar.

I have the Whipple, but I may end up swapping for the Autorotor.......

We are just goofing around, please don't get mad.
Sorry,
Trev

........I have the Whipple, but I may end up swapping for the Autorotor.......

Ha...you have been posting under an alias "slownsx" and running an SC :eek:

How fast do you want to go :confused:

Ha...you have been posting under an alias "slownsx" and running an SC :eek:

How fast do you want to go :confused:

Well.. my performance goals are:
Low 2800s with 1/2 gas of tank (currently I'm at low 2900s and got a little bit to go..)
400 RWHP (at 370sh)
.30 CD or less (not sure, but NSX-R wanna be wing ain't helping)
High, high 11s qt (haven't tried it yet.. but would venture in the mid/lows)
190+ MPH (undisclosed :biggrin: )

Hehe.. that's true. Maybe we're expecting $900-1000 more? almost 2000 jump from 6500 is kinda step up, don't you think?

$6500 was a special one-time deal group buy price. I haven't heard anyone getting that price or anywhere near it since. People had to PM the Nopi guy to get that price (it wasn't advertised).

$8250 was an everyday price. We should be able to get a better price with a GB.

My opinion -

1. R&D has been done years ago, cost should be recovered
2. No significant changes to design, if anything Autorotor will be harder to source repairs or parts for if CT closes the doors - try finding someone to purchase an autorotor SC from, it's practically impossible since they are an overseas company (Not in USA).
3. Changes from whipple to autorotor blower did not increase cost significantly if any at all, I bet they actually cost less.
4. Price has gone up most likely due to yearly increases and greed
5. Comptech doesn't care anymore about the NSX - it's dead, we keep it alive as owners
6. Vendors are in it for the money, NOPI sold them cheap in bulk trying to make a buck; I remember a price of around $7500 for the 3.2 Targa model, coupe was even cheaper - now they are seeing if they can get away with increasing the price and making more profit even though their cost has probably not significately increases at all. (Supply/Demand)

Bottom line is the cost to manufacture the produce has gone down even though inflation has increased prices marginally (should be a wash). Every SC Comptech pushes out the door is pure profit minus manufacturing cost. I would venture to say the markup on there SC is around 55-60% if not more. Remember, they get everything at wholesale prices then mark it up to vendor pricing then mark it up again for retail sales pricing. Lot of margin there, everyone wants a cut of the profit.

Lastely, if your technically savy you can build a intercooled SC system similar to comptechs design for around 6k (parts purchased at jobber or better pricing of course) with more potential (This would include the AEM FIC) but probably not as pretty unless you have good connections with someone with a CNC machine and the skills and there not in it for the profit. If your not in that boat though, you have to pay to play. I don't like to pay, so I'm building my own this year with the help of my race car building brother in law who has all the connections and equipment, this includes of course the CNC machine.

One more thing - there is no such thing as a one time great bargain price. That is just sales rhetoric to get you to pony up the cash.

Last edited:
If you guys are willing to pay, someone will put a kit together for you. If not, you shall be chargerless.

I bet tons of kits would sell if the 3.2l targas were $9k

From I understand he was saying Comptech Supercharge has been around for a while and there is no R&D to it anymore. The template is there and ready to go so the cost should be cheaper to make one now.

The CTSC Whipple has been around for a while but they had to get a SMOG change # for the Autorotor.

And that's great the Autorotor is a better unit W/ cooler intake temps/ more compact (you can reach the fuel rails, Ect.

Now if you read the link I posted CT has NO Manufacturing ability. That's why we have CT-Engineering (Penny Racing) and Comptech Machine.

So Comptech subs out ALL the parts (that's several forgings, instructions, electronics, SMOG stickers, pulleys, bearings, injectors, and mill work for profit), than buys the Autorotor (that's another for profit), now CT puts the "KIT" together in a box and sells it to a Distributor (Nopi?) for CTs PROFIT.

Nopi sells it to you for PROFIT :eek:

Used to be lots of NSX owners owned businesses and know how a supply chain works :confused:

Like "ffffanman" suggested....I'm done with this thread.

And hope you all can get your NEW CTSC for 3 easy payments if $29.99 + shipping and handling :smile:

Okay, okay - it would seem some are getting a little pissy about the cost and constant wining and possibly my lack of business knowledge. :wink:

For one, I am a business owner and know how Supply Chain Management works. I also understand Outsourced Manufacturing to include Six Sigma and LEAN Manufacturing methodologies among other fancy words. Point is this, and what has been stated here is true. I'm not arguing with anyone -

1. You want the CT SC you will pay, no questions. they can charge what they want because they have no competition in the SC market thats significant.
2. The price for the CT SC is spot on with market trends and demand, no doubt about it - I wouldn't charge any less if I was CT or built my own custom system and offered it up on prime for sale - maybe a little cheaper to compete so that everyone would swing my way just like the turbo builders here are doing :) speaking of which those products are really coming along well.
3. Manufacturing cost have gone down - FACT, you get things manufactured overseas your cost goes down. My understanding is just about everything for the CT SC is made overseas then shipped to them.
4. R&D cost recovery was factored into the cost in the beginning of the start of sales of the CT CS - If they have recovered the cost years ago then they could reduce the retail cost of the product to push it without affecting there general account ledger. Why should they though? It's just extra gravy/profit they can sock away. I would do the same thing, it's the right business decision unless your single threaded into one product line.

Enough said, I hope everyone is enjoying their CT SC, I'm sure if I owned one I would be thrilled with it - bottom line, I won't pay that kind of money. For those of you that want a CT SC, be prepared to pay - they own the market for the SC and are practically a monopoly in regards to it.

End transmission - :)

Last edited:
3. Manufacturing cost have gone down - FACT, you get things manufactured overseas your cost goes down. My understanding is just about everything for the CT SC is made overseas then shipped to them.

Unfortunately, I'm sure the precipitous decline of the dollar has eroded a significant amount of the benefit of utilizing overseas manufacturers.

Let the market decide. Supply vs Demand. We have good competition in FI now. You have a solid CT FI option that is priced what it was priced 10+ years ago :eek: Although 10K in this economic market is a lot of money, what new parts cost the same now as it did 10 years ago?

On the other aisle - you have good, affordable turbo options with the tuning getting better and better, safer and safer and earning reputation over time.

You can get a safe bet for 10K with a 10+ year history, or get a turbo for ~40%-70% of that for comparable or more power, and you may be taking more risk, you may be not. FactorX and long time turbo owners will strongly make an argument that turbo is actually SAFER for more power and time will tell, but they may be right.

The challenge for turbo crowd is to overcome the stigma around "turbo's blowing up engines" I am weary of the plumbingand weight.

I think the real challenge for the turbo guys is to get CARB certification... in that aspect, CT has absolutely zero FI competitors. If a CARB certified turbo kit was available when I was shopping for my FI a couple of years ago, I likely would have gone that route instead of my CTSC. I've been a huge believer in turbos, their performance and their (potential for) reliability for more than a decade. Lag, power, drivability and reliability are all tunable.

J

Any updates on the possibility of a group buy?

I gave up and just bought one. It seems that they're still trying to catch up with orders. I don't think there will be any group buys until later this year or maybe even next. I couldn't wait that long.

Back