• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cybernation Shows Turbo NSX

I'd like to know the same as Sjs. If they are really using the exact same turbo on all 3 engines that's obviously not ideal. That's a pretty big compromise. Let's hear some specs on the turbo's!

This sounds like a great kit, and the price makes it even more attractive.

How come you won't be testing the 3.2 motor on the track though? I think a lot of 97+ NSX owners would feel safer purchasing the kit if the 3.2 was thoroughly tested as well.

Good luck, and keep us all posted to your progress.

-Awais

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock [503 RWHP, 545 RWTQ]

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

www.RacingFlix.com

To Answer some questions.

Keep in mind we are still in beta with this turbo kit many changes and improvements will be made before a kit is offered to the public.

1. The turbo size questions: The T3/T4 was chosen for fast spooling low-end torque with minimal turbo lag. Different turbo will be tried during the testing process. However we already know that with the larger turbo the torque curve will move up in the higher RPMs and the lag will increase. With the smaller turbo the car is very smooth and easy to drive which is feature that is very useful on the track. With the larger turbo the power come in late at about 5500 rpm and is very abrupt. We will allow you choose certain size turbo for user preference when ordering a kit. For more information on the turbo specifications visit www.turbonetics.com. Remember test drives are available for those who have doubts.

3. We are planning to run at the 1/4 mile this Friday and will post the results.

4. Our 1999 3.2 NSX will run 10psi during testing on track, street and 1/4 mile.

NSXXtreme,
Will find out,
anyone want to be a Moroso friday night ?
see this first hand ?
it is always a good time. Safe and fun.
can test drive it if you are interested.
email me.
[email protected]

Heretic,
Are you in Sebring Florida? we will have the cars at the chin race there coming up.
would like to hook up.

[This message has been edited by Decon (edited 05 December 2002).]

Decon,
yes i am in sebring
i should be going to that event
hope to see you there
steve

This may sound like a stupid question since I am not all that knowledgable about turbo setups but how can you use any header or exhaust manifold with this? Is there a connection to the turbo after the header collectors? Where are the cat. converters? Its a single turbo also. Is the exhaust combined and then split again? One more question. Is it possible to run a turbo off of just one header leaving one side alone? I warned you they might be stupid questions...

Heretic,
Will see you there !
Tjack
Will try and get better photos showing the way it is set up, the pipes are not the final set as this is a test kit, the final will be clean and shiny.
Cats are out of this NSX, Will be in on the 3.2 NSX,
Yes Single turbo,
Wow one side ? Why ? will let you know.
Thanks for the questions, there all good.

SJS, TRUE,
on the same turbo for differant cars, after many hours of debate Lee and I agreed that for what I wanted out of a turbo kit, boost at 3000, safe reliable at low boost, the same turbo t3/t4 hybrid was what we wanted to try first, so far so good, I like the smooth power early, that is where my driving style gets the most use and fun. I believe it would make better use of most track uses as well. The great thing about the kit will be suppling a turbo that a driver likes, we will test several sizes and include the data from each setup so the end user can choose what setup he or she may like best.Will try and keep you guys posted.
If you have any ideas on how many systems we should provide, and the end results you would like to see in turbo kit, please post them, this will be a great way of making the most of this forum and get what you guys want.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Decon,

OK, it sounds like plenty of testing yet to come, which is good. As I'm sure the guys building the system know, there's much more to turbo selection than smaller/larger to get boost earlier vs more at the top. Matching the turbo to the engine is critical to maximizing the efficiency of the turbo and minimizing heat for a given boost level. That’s what the compressor maps are for if you have the specs of the engine, and they should be referenced in conjunction with testing.

Tjack,

As shown in the picks, the two banks come together just before the turbo. I can’t tell for sure, but it appears the pipe out of the turbo then goes to a long resonator/muffler positioned similarly to the stock muffler but smaller (leaving room for the IC) and then the dual glass packs come off the ends of that and out the back. Those are a bit too crude looking even if painted or polished IMO.

I was curious about the cats as well. Seems like things will get extra tight under there, and placing the turbo after the cats of course reduces the heat and therefore the ability to build boost slightly. The good part is that the cats perform properly because the exhaust hasn’t been cooled by the turbo, so emissions tests are less of a problems.

No, you can’t use just one bank for the turbo. Besides only supplying half the exhaust to spin the turbo, it would make for unbalanced backpressure etc. on the engine. Gotta be two into one, or two into two.

Thanks for the answers SJS and Decon. Its a very interesting setup with great numbers and a decent price. There would be no problem selling these IMO. I'd very seriously consider it myself. Keep us informed about the progress.

Originally posted by cybernation:
To Answer some questions.

3. We are planning to run at the 1/4 mile this Friday and will post the results.

4. Our 1999 3.2 NSX will run 10psi during testing on track, street and 1/4 mile.

Where are the results?

Hey Decon,
I will be at a private track day at Moroso on the 14th of this month - any interest in letting me take it for a few laps??????
They will not let you on the track without prior track experience, but I think I could get Pete Argetsinger (the racer), who holds his private track day to former students of his, to take it around the track a couple of times!!!!!!!!!!!
Doc Gums

Please keep us posted on the 3.2L testing. Very interested in this new turbo setup when I get my '97 NSX. Thought about the BBSC but I don't like how power comes in the high rev range and the Comptech/Gruppe M is just too expensive for my wallet.

BTW, will a turbo timer be utilized in the whole package? Or custom rig an aftermarket setup?

Doc,
If car is in town, YES you can, not sure of other tracks it may be at, I will find out and let you know.
Net Viper,
This weather is killing us, it rained on weds, and on friday night. can't run them if there is even a chance of rain. looks good during the day then in the evenings when we run, there comes and cold front with clouds and drizzle, will try again this week and post the results.
Dan,
Will find out.

Originally posted by NetViper:
Results?

We tuned the car on race fuel just for the track. It made less power at 10psi on race fuel than with pump gas at 7psi. We decided not to go to the track.

We will get to the track eventually, however it is not our main priority at the moment. We are still working out some details such as the best location for cold air intake and improving the efficiency of the intercooler.

Originally posted by jackmac:
Cybernation,
Can you possibly elaborate your comment....10 psi made less hp than 7psi on pump? I am bit confused....
JACK

We tuned the beta car on C16 VP race fuel at 10psi boost and it made less horsepower than when the car was tuned with 93 octane pump gas at 7psi. I recently spoke with one fellow NSXer from CA running a twin turbo and he mentioned that his car performed better on 91 octane than with race fuel. He told me he ran 12 sec flat on the 1/4 using 91 octane. I think our dyno results may be showing that the NSX may prefer pump gas over race fuel. More testing would need to be done before we could say for sure, however the preliminary results would seem to suggest as much.

I hope that answered your question.

I see you use a Deltagate right? Any chance of custom kits? I would MUCH prefer a Tial wastegate and any other IC core than Spearco. Also like like the HKS SSQV than the Greddy Blow off valve. But that's just preference.

Well I was looking forward to seeing this car run on the track at Sebring on December 22nd but alas...it was a no show. Perhaps we'll see something at a future track event in Florida?

Originally posted by Jasonva:
I like it!! Put me on the list of the first 25 to have this in my NSX. For 5000 or less it seems pretty impressive. I pray the reliability is there.

Pray for reliability? I wouldn't be so happy to jump on that band wagon without knowing if it was indeed going to hold up.
JMO
Good luck with it though.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Back