• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Deep Knocking from #1 Cylinder, possibly Rod Bearing Failure - What to do?

Comrades,

I have a '91 with 80K miles. I had the dealership change the oil (full Synthetic, as always) just 1K miles ago. The only mods I'm aware of are an Prospeed Stage 3 ROM Chip (I don't believe it changes the rev limiter setting), headers, and exhaust. However, I'm not the original owner, so no telling what may have been done in the past. I've never heard any irregular sounds before, even on cold starts.

I recently started it up, let it warm up for 5 mins or so before getting too aggressive, then floored it up to the rev limiter. Immediately after that, I heard a deep knocking in sync with the RPM. I had a mechanic come over to look at it, and we isolated it to the #1 cylinder by unplugging the injector wires, one by one. The assumption in that this cylinder got oil-starved somehow. The plan is to get the car to his shop, drop the oil pan, and take a look. If the motor needs to come out, my mechanic doesn't want to take on a rebuild, so I need to have a plan if the motor needs to come out. Hopefully it can be resolved without dropping the motor, but I'm not holding my breath. So, trying to weigh my options;

I've done some research here, and some say it's a safer bet to get a used motor from a wrecked NSX than to tear into this one, as there's no telling what all it will need until it's opened up. However, those were pretty old posts, and they referenced used motors going for around $2500. From searching the marketplace, Ebay and Driving Ambition website, I found 2 used engines at $8K each, so assume that's the going rate.

If I get someone to tear into the engine, I'm afraid we wont be able to source the parts we may need (bearings in the right size, etc), and those we do find may be very expensive. I've also read that grinding the stock crank is not recommended. However, I see on Ebay there's a used crankshaft for $1500 in Hungary, but that seems risky.

So, that's my dilemma. Does anyone have any advice for how to get through this with minimal expense and headache?

Thanks in advance.

If you have a spun bearing, the motor is coming out. And while it's not ideal, the crank can be saved if the scoring isn't terrible. For rebuild, OEM bearings are most common(and high quality), however if the bearing surface that's been damaged passes a certain limit, you'll have the task of finding aftermarket bearings that will work with the NSX crank. Not that easy to do.

There are a handful of us on Prime who build motors, but a program like the one posted above by SOS is a good option.

No matter the path chosen, the final costs will end up being similar from one path to another, even if trying to save money on the rebuild. (pulling motor, tearing down, machine work, parts costs, rebuild, re-install the motor, etc).

I think your best bet would be the SOS program, since you will be getting essentially a new engine for a lot less money than it would cost you from Honda. you can either ship the car to them, or pull the engine and ship it. Your other option is to find a local "LarryB" to do the teardown and rebuild, but I am not sure if there is such a person in Texas. Finally, you could get a used engine, but you always run the risk of buying something that may itself fail due to issues in its past you do not know about. Ken Sax and Docjohn both have used engines in their cars and suffered no problems, but you never know... Overall, I think the cost will be about the same either way and with SOS you get brand new as opposed to used and unknown.

Why on earth would you redline your motor in neutral?

It was in gear at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the comments guys. We're dropping the oil pan next week. I'll report what we find.

Back