• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Defroster Panel Replacement

I am curious if it is possible to replace the defroster panel with the windshield removed? I'm replacing my windshield soon and would like to replace the cracked def. panel at the same time if possible.

Thanks
Jim

Yes it's possible to replace this piece but you don't need to remove the windshield - you need to remove the dashboard. I did this several years ago on my 91.

Thanks for the reply.
I want to stay away from removing the dash if possible, too much work, If the def. panel can be removed and replaced while the windshield is out I'd like to think that it would be easier??

Jim

You NEED TO REMOVE THE DASH!

The dashboard MUST be removed first. That's how it's designed. I guess you could ignore the design and just take a crow bar to the piece once your windshield is out - that will probably work too.

Soichiro

Thanks for the 2nd reply.
I simply wanted to know if the panel could be removed via the windshield opening and not the dash removal process

But your sarcastic remark of a crow bar is not appreciated nor called for. perhaps thats the way your car is worked on.
:(

>>perhaps thats the way your car is worked on.

I'd rather have a mechanic with a sense of humor (sarcastic or otherwise) than a mechanic who could not understand the instructions "you need to remove the dashboard" from my original post.

I did'nt mean to sound or be offended. My sense of humor has been lost for the last few weeks as the car has been in for a complete repaint due to wear and tear + pitted windshield for 4 weeks and I still have about 3 wks to go. Then I have to write a check for just short of $7K
jim

Back