• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DirecTV LIES

We dropped DirecTV last year for Verizon FIOS and have been quite happy so far. We weren't that unhappy with DirecTV but we wanted to go HD and there aren't any HD TiVo options with DirecTV, so we kicked them to the curb.

Same goes for AT&T and U-Verse. No HD TiVo option, no sale in our house.

Verizon equiptment is even worse than sat dish equiptment. They love to blast holes in the walls and mount crap on the exterior of the buildings.

Today I sent a letter to the office of the President of DirecTV. They have now made good on their promises. Took a ton of effort, but I feel better about it.

Worst come to worst, you can always cheat/beat the system by piggy backing off of someone else that has DTV and split the bill depending on how many receivers you have. It's only an additional $5 per month for an additional receiver, $10 more a month for a HD receiver. I don't think there is a limit interms of how many receivers one household can have.:wink:

Agreed - did anyone notice the rate increase earlier this year? WTF is that all about?

I used to sing them praises but, here are my complaints:

I was supposed to get a $50 AMEX giftcard when I signed up...I have yet to see it.

They missed their install appointment twice....only gave me one credit for one missed appointment instead of two.

They didn't really install the equipment. First time I go to do yardwork, I see that instead of burying the cable, they've craftily hidden it along the side of the foundation to my house. Called em, told em to fix it, and they told me I would have to pay.

Everytime, and I mean everytime I referred a friend, I NEVER got a credit, nor did the friend. Which makes me look like an ass.

Customer service sucks, they lie. And what REALLY ticks me off is the "lease fee" for my receivers AFTER I PAID OUTRIGHT FOR THEM.

I will be cancelling their service THE second my contract is up.

End rant.

My inlaws have had it for a couple years and it has never worked quite right. Their system shows a good signal but it drops out all the time. A lot of the channels are extremely over compressed and look horrible. People complain about Comcast (which is what I have) but directv seems much worse from what I've seen. After that whole HD Lite fiasco I don't think I'll ever give the dish companies my money unless I have no other choice.

I recently tried AT&T uVerse (Fiber-optic) which had the triple play package for $99/month. I only tried it because they offered $200 back (a $100 check and $100 Visa card) after 20days regardless if I canceled before the 30 days or not - which was month to month and not under a contract.

I ended up keeping it and liking it. They offer internet up past 10Mbps symmetric (starting at 1.5Mbps and $5 increments for each step above that), HDTV, and DVR. They also have their own version of on demand.

My mom has been on and off the phone with DirecTV which is the service she's currently bound to (they've lied to her as well).

AT&T U-verse is horrible. Clunky interface, odd ginks in programming DVR schedule, strange outages...

The only reason we have it is because the attached internet service is blindingly fast.

Not so sure how having more options (we already have at least four options) in some "bigger" free market would make AT&T better. Exactly how many competitors does it take before a market is free?

Comcast here, and it's been working surprisingly well. Had a few hiccups hooking up the HD, but once that got straightened out it's been solid. The cost is too high, but the service is nice.

I have been a paying customer of D(TV) for 7 years since the 'testing' of the H1, H2 and H3 card days ended. We are break-even as I see it. Those were good times! As a loyal customer, the are giving me Showtime free for 5 months starting a few weeks ago. So nice of them considering I won't watch it. Really, I only watch the Discovery and Science channels, some History I guess. I am happy with the service. I have 2 receivers and basic programing. I will stick around for a while.

Back