• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Discount Tire Jacked up my rims!

I just got back from Discount Tires to have the Bridgestone Potenza RE 010 on all fours. They scraped the crap out of one of the rear wheels and lets marks on all four my gun metal finished OEM rims!

On top of that, they mounted the rear tires on the wrong sides. The rear left is mounted on the rear left and visa versa. Can't they read? It is labeled inside rotation and outside rotation on the tire walls.

This after the manager promised that he would take his time and thus it may take longer than usual.

Arrrrggg. Why can't people do their jobs correctly???

Thanks for reading. I had to vent.

onecrazydriver said:
The rear left is mounted on the rear left and visa versa. Can't they read?
I can read, and you just said that the rear left is mounted on the rear left. There's nothing wrong with that. :D (I know, I know...)

Sorry to hear about your wheels... :(

I know exactly what you mean. Those bozos messed up my rims and bent the triangular beam under my car, all on the same visit. They had my car up on the lift and since the engine is in the rear they felt that they needed to be sure it wouldn't fall. So they put a jack stand under the rear of the car. Now, while the "KID" was carrying my front rim to the balancer, he held it by the valve stem and it broke! After freaking out over that, they had to put on a black rubber stem cause they had no polished one like the one they broke, I was pissed. Then after they put the wheels back on the car they let the lift down without moving the jackstand. It was all my girlfriend could do to keep me from flying through the window at this guy. Your right though, they should have people with a little common knowledge wotking on other peoples cars.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Since we’re on the subject...

I called the new Discount Tire right down the road, explained that I have some rear tires to be mounted. I also explained that I do not want clip-on style weights and that the rims are somewhat valuable (well, at least to me) - if there’s any chance the would be scratched, I’ll just go elsewhere. After all, I’m sure they don’t want a headache for a transaction that’s not even $50. They said everything will be fine, quoted me a price, and said that they could have me in-and-out quickly, during lunch.

The next day, I brought in the tires and wheels loose (to minimize the chance of other problems, such as overtorquing the lug nuts, scratching up the car, etc.). I pointed out the inside/outside label on the tire and asked them to please handle the rims with care as the tires do not protect the edge of the rim. I specifically told them to not lay the wheels down on the concrete. Guess what they do. I go inside to do the paperwork and am charged $10 more than I quoted (the guy on the phone apparently quoted me the wrong price). After going back and forth for a while, I said fine, whatever.

Essentially: 90 minutes later, the wheel and tires are loaded into my car, they use the wrong weights (oh well, I don’t have time to mess with it), I go home, realize they are mounted incorrectly. Argh. I go back to the shop (Would you believe I was pulled-over and got a ticket along the way?), ask them once again to be careful with my rims (I notice they seem to be doing their best to scratch them up), I wait 45 minutes. They are about to do the first wheel, they tell me I only brought in one center cap on the wheel and that I must have left the other at home. I said no, it must be in the shop. I wait 45 more minutes, the other wheel is done and they start loading into my car when I notice the center cap is still missing. I ask them if they looked for it, they said yes and insisted it was not on there when I brought the wheel in. I said look in your shop, I bet it’s next to the balancer. It was.

Over 3 hours to mount and balance 2 tires.

OK, stop it now. That's enough. The hair on the back of my neck is standing straight up and I have goosebumps from stories like this... I think the people that designed those tire stores with glass in the waiting rooms so you can actually WATCH the destruction and carnage (and be unable to do anything about it) were sick masochists. Who the hell wants to watch that? It's like a bad accident, you just have to look!

"Look, honey, is that your car on the rack? Are they supposed to be revving the engine like that, just to back it up? Oh, I didn't know a test drive was required after you mount tires!"

18 more months, and I'll be back in the good ole US of A and get to deal with the same thing!

Sadly, we bring this on ourselves...

The reason an 18 year-old with (hopefully) a GED is changing wheels on an $80k car (beyond the fact that you brought it there yourself) is that Americans as a whole demand service that is 110% above what the other guy is offering, and we want that service to cost less and be delivered faster. So companies like Discount tire, Pizza Hut, Dunkin Donuts and other retailers hire untrained and unskilled help at low wages. Those kids are in there for exactly the other half of the same equation: no interest in making a long-term committment to a job like that because the money's not that good, but hey, it's a job and it's not demanding. They're just tires and wheels, right?

Here in Germany my car has only seen a select Honda dealership that knows the cars, and I DREAD the thought of having it in the hands of a service like the one you described...

This after the manager promised that he would take his time and thus it may take longer than usual.

Ten times out of ten, if someone "takes their time" it doesn't may take longer, it will take longer.

Thanks for reading. I had to vent.

If nobody bothered to even read this thread, would you still feel vented? Does a falling tree in the forest still make noise if nobody is around to hear it? :cool:

I have to pipe in here. Typically Disount Tire Company has done very good job for me and my family. When we have flats the guys take great care to fix the tires and the wheels.

Like all businesses, there's bound to be incompetent employees. If I was bringing my NSX to the tire shop, I'd personally talk to the person who was doing my tires, to make sure he understands how important my wheels and the NSX are to me. And maybe give the guy an extra tip PRIOR to service may help ensure a bit more care.

I am sorry to hear of the story above, but I think Discount Tire Company is one of the best tire service companies I've dealt with.

"Ditto to what Sloopy said", convenience can be crap. Our babies need special care when getting new sneakers. Sorry to hear about your xperience, Just dont let them fix your wheels ,I would hate to see what they're version of a corrected finish would be!:rolleyes:

I'm very anal when I brought any of my car in any shop

especially when I know a thing or two about the job they are performing... :p

Most of the time, I would do exactly what nsx_dreamer does, talk to the guy who will do the job and try to make freind with him... sometime I would even want to give him a hand... after all that's my car, and if there's something I can save his time ( and I exactly doesn't like the way he's doing), I'll just tell him leave it and I can fix that when I got home.

Respect and be polite goes a long way... and if you just zoom back when you were 16, 18 yrs old and doing a summer job... whatever your manager or parents said wouldn't stick into your mind more than 2 minutes... It's not always just the education level but just the mentality, their 'live' doesn't begin until afterwork, they are most likely thinking what to do to get chick an stuff...;)
it does take someone really really love cars to be excited about mounting your tires on the rims. After 7 and 1/2 hrs dealing with pick up truck tires, rusted hub cab rims (that people probably never clean it in last 7 yrs), 22 inches spiners... YOUR nsx rims are JUST ANOTHER SET OF RIMS to them.

Because of these experiences, I tead to leave the shop (with my car) if I found out they don't like people wandering around the shop. I see the point of insurance coverage and other nuisens, but I know better and I'll stay away when I needed to...
10 out of 10 times, improper installation or 'accident' happens when I'm not looking.

This is so funny because in the past I had always had very good experiences with this company. Then just last week I needed new tires for my wifes Accord. She got a flat coming home one night, thought it was just a rough road and decided to drive all the way home on a completely flat tire, but that's another story.

Anyway, I needed new tires so I automatically call up discount tire to get some quotes on several different models. The people on the phone (at 4 different stores) were very uninformed. They couldn't tell me the mileage on certain models. One guy kept trying to sell me z-rated directionals even though I was only interested in H rated. Another guy told me that they don't carry a certain brand even though I was looking at their newest ad in a car magazine that was a full page just for this brand.
So I go down and talk to the people. There was only one other customer in the store. There were no less than 5 employees that I could see. Neither of them would give me the time of day. They wouldn't even acknowledge that I had just walked in. Finally I have to approach one of them. This guy was clueless. He was trying to tell me things about the tires I was inquiring about as if I was some idiot who had never bought them before. Every tire I wanted, they didn't have. I asked him what he did have. He starts looking them up and then picks up the ringing phone. Apparently all of the other employees were too busy doing nothing to answer it. So anyway, nobody else helps me. This guy spends a good 10 minutes on the phone and I just leave. Long story short. I go to another place down the street who actually has the tires I wanted in the first place and I'm out of there in 20 minutes. They even saved the flat tire (with the shredded rubber inside) so I could show my wife what happens when you drive 5 miles on a flat. I never thought it would be such a hassle to just buy 4 tires. I'm huge on customer service. I'm finding it harder and harder to find any places be it restaraunts, dept stores...whatever that actually have some small amount of customer service. I know someone mentioned earlier that it's our own fault that we suffer with idiots because we demand everything be cheap, but I'm willing to pay way more than something is worth just because of the customer service. The tires that I ended up buy were more than 1/3 more than I was willing to pay at Discount.

Worse Yet

Firestone mounted my rears last week. They did get the correct rotation; however, they gouged both of my Racing Hart M5s. The worst damage was on the lips, but they somehow hit the painted center and chipped the paint in a few spots.

I had went over the condition of the wheels with the shop manager prior (I had 1 curb rash on the RR) and explained the wheels are no longer being made. He commented that this was an easy mount as they do a lot of 22-24" tires.

After the damage, the tech claimed the machine to be at fault. The manager offered to have them repaired.

Now the fun begins. I take them to his fix it guy. He wants nothing to do with them. So I go to the expert (My first choice) Skip's Wheel Werks. Skip is one of the best in the US, and happens to be close! I show him the damage.

His summary:

1. The lips are coated and must have the coating removed to repair the gouges, this means complete disassembly of the wheels.

2. The paint will be hard to match, so he recommends doing the fronts as well to make them perfect.

3. Again, the fronts must be disassembled to remove the coatingto match the rear.

4. The coating on the lips can not be reapplied due to environmental laws. This can only be applied in Jp. He states the wheels will be more work to take care of, but will be a more brilliant shine.

I saw Skip's work on a lot of local Porsches (Fuchs) and in his shop. I know he is the best, so I agree to the work. Firestone will pay for the rears, but I am stuck with the bill for the fronts. The only saving grace is I ended up doing his website.

>> http://www.skipswheelworks.com

In addition, the repair will take 3-5 days. Skip is trying to find me a set of loaner wheels for the duration. The NSX is my only car.

What a mess...

Hey guys....havent been around here in a while but someone was nice enough to call me and let me know about this thread. Thanks!

Anyway...we are very sorry to hear about you recent problems. I wish I could respond directly to your problem, but unfortunately I was not there to witness. Personally, when I worked in the stores...I made it my job to be the 'go to' guy whenever a high dollar car, enthusiast car, show car, hard to work on cars (rubber band tires), etc etc. NO ONE in my store would touch them. Not that they couldnt do it just fine...but I liked the cars, I liked the people, and I knew if I talked to the owner he would tell me to take as much time as I needed to do the job perfectly. Nevertheless...ALL cars that enter our bay doors at Discount Tire Co and Americas Tire Co shops should be done perfectly and the customer should leave happy. Obviously a few of you have not. I assure you that you dont have the easiest car to work on...but it isnt a problem for someone that takes their time and thinks it through.

When you have a problem...immediately speak to a store manager. I also suggest when you enter the bay that you ask for a SR, or Manager walk around the car with you to check for any current wheel scratches. If you dont show them they are flawless before...you may not have a leg to stand on later if their is a problem. Just a suggestion.

If any of you drive your sports car...like a sports car, then you and I are alike and we both spend WAY too much on tires & wheels...and burn through rubber like no other. So im sure that you visit the stores quite often. Build a relationship with someone there. I can guarantee you every store has at least one guy that is a fanatic and has his own little pride and joy. Let him work on your car and youll leave with a smile every day.

Keep in mind that these guys work on 50-90 cars a day, most of which are your standard everyday cars. Then a car like a NSX comes in a couple times a week. These guys are in fast forward mode trying to knock out all these cars...and in most cases they'll go through yours just as fast. Best bet...ask them to slow down. Ask for someone with Seniority only to work on your car. Insist on it.

We pride ourselves on customer service so it bothers me to come across a thread like this. Problem is..one bad experience posted on here does more damage than 50 good comments. Its just how it works.

Again, I apologize for your situation. Id suggest to speak to that store manager. If thats not to your satisfaction call the regional office and I can assure you they will do everything to make you happy. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

Todd#DiscountTire, thanks for replying to our venting. I wish you would have been there the day I took my wife's car in. I appreciate people like you. I know what you mean too. Posts like this do have quite a bit of damage. It's true what they say, people with good experiences are just satisfied. People who have bad experiences will tell at least 10 other people. I will probably cool off after awhile and give them another shot later, but bad customer services really gets under my skin for some reason.

White92 said:
but I'm willing to pay way more than something is worth just because of the customer service. The tires that I ended up buy were more than 1/3 more than I was willing to pay at Discount.

I can't even put in to words how true this is. Its the same for me as well. Man does this thread disappoint me. I personally work at Discount Tire DIrect (mail order) now, but I spent my years in the store. NOTHING was more important than the 'experience'. IF you didnt walk out with a smile on your face...I stopped you and found out why. I truly hope these are isolated instances, and that you will trust us enough to give it another shot.

I want to believe this was an isolated instance for me anyway. I wont let all of the good experiences in the past be completely wiped away by one bad experience. By the way, thanks for responding on this thread. You've cooled me off alot.

And Im back!

Guys....to those of you who have had problems/issues in this thread, if you wouldnt mind please email [email protected]

He is part of our customer care dept and he would like to know the store locations you were at so that he can forward this to the appropriate sources and get some resolve for you. Again, we believe in the 'experience' and do not want any of you to feel let down.

Had 4 Nitto trip nick's put on the beemer this week at America's Tire Store... did the walk around with the installer. Told him to take his time (he did) and dont scratch the wheels as I had custom 19" alloys that were dirty but in perfect shape. So i just went to the mall next door and had lunch. When I came back about an hour later they were just finishing up. Excellent work! :) they were knowledgable and had good customer service and the price was the best. Even let me back the car out of the bay. So.. even though I will probably never take my NSX there, I will take my daily there anytime.

Todd@DiscountTire said:
I truly hope these are isolated instances, and that you will trust us enough to give it another shot.

Hi Todd, glad you are reading these posts. Unfortunately, these are not isolated cases (see separate e-mail I sent you). There is a lot of hit and miss as staff turnover happens on a regular basis. Even managers seem to change every 6 moths.

I too had my tires mounted wrong a few years ago, scratched wheels, and had two other incidents last month. One still pending as it has not been resolved. And I have been shopping at the same America's Tire Company (in California; in other states known as Discount Tire) since the late 1980s.

For the record, Todd has been very helpful with my purchases from Discount Tire Direct, and I hope he can take these posts to management for their review.

Edit: correcting company names

Last edited:
Had 4 Nitto trip nick's put on the beemer this week at America's Tire Store... did the walk around with the installer. Told him to take his time (he did) and dont scratch the wheels as I had custom 19" alloys that were dirty but in perfect shape. So i just went to the mall next door and had lunch. When I came back about an hour later they were just finishing up. Excellent work! they were knowledgable and had good customer service and the price was the best. Even let me back the car out of the bay. So.. even though I will probably never take my NSX there, I will take my daily there anytime.

That is how every past experience went with me. I loved that place! I recommended them to anyone. Their prices were dirt cheap as well. I worked at an Acura dealership at the time and always took my Prelude there. Their prices were way cheaper than even my discount through the dealership. When I had to get them rotated and balanced, they got me in and out faster than I could flip through a magazine.

As a side note, I recommended them to a lady at my work who took her Explorer there. She ended up going to the one that I had a bad experience with last week. She had a bad experience too, which made me look like a dumbass for recommending it to her.

Sadly I, too, agree that Discount tire is not the same place it used to be; you used to be able to go there without any worries - you knew when they quoted a price that you were getting their best price and that was that. Now there seems to be much more of a hardball feel to the sales effort. I have been quoted a price, pointed out that the internet price is LOTS lower, and then had the salesman immediately drop the price considerably. I suppose part of this is just a symptom of Discount's drive toward world tire domination, but I suspect that the DonDavis has hit upon another part of the problem - We seem to have lost respect for a whole lot of essential jobs that when done poorly make our lives worse. How many times have you had a service person explain to you that they are just doing this job until they become a famous movie star or brain surgeon ( Hi I'm Jason, I'll be your waiter tonite - I don't know anything about food or wine, but no matter as soon as I finish school I'll be getting a real job! ). In my experience people in Europe are more likely to be experts at their job, because they are respected for just that - being experts at their job. The people in the flower shop know everything there is to know about flowers, the car salesmen actually know a lot about cars, and the guy putting your tires on knows all about tires and wheels.

Having completed that rant - I must say that I have not, however, had any problem with the work at Discount Tire. I think that is because the store that I go to is in an area with lots of kids with tricked out imports ( I think that this location sells lots of wheels, and management REALLY bums when a set of THEIR wheels gets weenied ), so the people in the store that actually do the work either have the car disease or are use to dealing with those of us who do and are therefore sympathetic to our obsession. I don't think that I would be nearly as comfortable pulling up to a location with nothing but beater pickups in the lot. I also totally agree with Ojas - I always take only the wheels and tires down to the store so the biggest possible problem would be the wheels and tires. This was driven home to me by a tech at a high end repair shop telling me about the new employee who was learning by doing when he stamped a huge H on the bottom of a Ferrari while racking it.

Back