• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does your NSX feel dated?

If I drive it everyday it sometimes feels like an older car especially when I look at the dash and see that it lacks the latest nav system with integrated touch screen for radio and climate controls. But people still react to the car as if it were the rare exotic that it is so thats pretty cool and reassuring that its only my perception.

After not driving it for 3 weeks or so I am still amazed every time I fire it up and go; nothing drives like it and if I want more power, an engine upgrade is still far cheaper than any new car.

Meeyatch1 said:
<snip> The conversation goes something like this:

Onlooker: 'Wow! Nice car. What is it?'
NSX owner: 'It's an Acura.'
Onlooker: 'Really? What kind?'
NSX owner: 'It is an NSX?'
Onlooker: 'Is it brand new?'
NSX owner: 'No. This one is a 1991.'
Onlooker: 'NO WAY!'
NSX owner: 'Yep...this car is 15 years old.'
Onlooker: 'Wow....it looks brand new.'<snip>
some variation of this discussion happens nearly every time i drive my car and park it.

honda did it right the first time out the gate, so didn't need to keep adding stuff to bring it current.

No it has never felt dated; a few up-grades to the engine and the suspension keeps performance fresh and new feeling. The stock look of the car has never felt dated; classic maybe but certainly not dated.

Bob

There is a couple minor thing that make it feel dated but that is only because I drove a Caymen. Steering is not power assisted.. Sound dampening material is at the minimum.. so cruising on the hwy is louder than the modern sports car.

The way a NSX drives is so different tho.. You will have no complaints even when you think it is dated.

The Chassis is super tight.. No rattles or anything..

Dated? Not in my opinion! I absolutely abhor the electronic gizmo's they put on cars nowadays. From the overly controlling stability assist(any is bad) to all the crap on the inside (NAV, heated seats, blah blah). You can say I'm definitely closer to the "pure" type of sports car. The Acura NSX is as close as they come!

Depends upon what you mean by "dated"?

If you're referring to more and/or current electronics, e.g., stereo, GPS, lighting, paddle shifter, iDrive, etc., or creature comforts, etc., then I'd say it a little "dated". But, from a basic technology perspective or the classic and timeless design, I'd say "not at all". Their are a lot of aftermarket and NA2 cosmetic and performance items that can address some of these elements and can bring the NA1 NSX forward some...if that what you're looking for?

Personally, I like the driving feel and simplicity of "dated" car...which is why I still have and prefer the late 80's BMWs and Porsches to today's new cars. In some cases the "look" is also preferred. This is proven everytime I drive my NSX, e30 M3, e28 M5, or 911 Carrera as compared to any new car I or my friends drive... I get all the thumbs-up, 'great car' comments, questions, etc., and no one even notices the newer car! Now admittedly, all of my "dated" cars have lots of aftermarket mods... but that's a whole different affliction!

Dated? Absolutely NOT!!!

IMHO, the NSX is ageless. The NSX may not have all the current whiz bang gizmos, but more than makes up for that in a complete package. Add some aftermarket upgrades and the NSX will put an even bigger smiley on the driver's face.

fkong777 said:
Steering is not power assisted.. Sound dampening material is at the minimum.. so cruising on the hwy is louder than the modern sports car.

Be careful with your description...it almost sounds like the NSX has a "soul" when compared to a modern P or F car. :biggrin:

I don't feel the car is dated compared to most cars on the street and have many similar experiences such as Meeyatch1. The only time I maybe thought the car was dated was this past saturday when I was parked next to a ferrari 430, with its slighty more curvy lines ,but when I say dated I just mean the exterior shape. So only when compared to modern supercars, however I like the interior and love my analog gages. And I guess if you compare it to the new lambos that are out gallardo, mucilago angular lines are modern too

Last edited:
I sold my NSX last summer, my second. I do admit, at the end I did feel as though the car was a bit dated looks-wise, especially next to the likes of a 360. The public seemed to still enjoy the lines, but I simply felt it looked a little too angular for this day and age. Now I own an AMC Pacer and feel great... kidding.

smonop said:
I simply felt it looked a little too angular for this day and age.
In a Gallardo way, ey?

It doesn't look dated to me. I love it. I do feel the interior looks a little dated without an in-dash CD player and digital odo. I am shocked that they didn't update that stuff in 97, let alone the 2002 upgrade.

chumch said:
If you want to see dated, have a look at a lamborghini countach. I used to think that was something special when i was a kid...now it look like a steaming pile.

I agree, I used to love that car as a kid, drool all over it. I saw one last year at a car show and it looked so crappy more like a kit car than any sort of production car, exterior and interior were horrible. I do still think the diablo looks good, and infact I was thinking about this today that its design could of
been released today, i.e the succersor of the gallardo, mucielago and it would still be consider a good looking car, too bad they run so terribly.

I find this thread particularly interesting. There's a hint of defensiveness in many replies, perhaps born from past encounters with coffee-can street-racer types. "yeah, wull...your car is, um...old!"

My NSX is 15 years old. It looks terrific, smells like leather, and drives wonderfully, but it most certainly feels dated. There's no way around that. Do I love to drive it? Sure do. Did I buy it for it's timeless beauty? Nah. That'd be reading into my decision-making too far. It was more of a visceral response: it looks gooood. But I am happy that it has a certain classic-ness. (There's probably a good analogy here to a woman you meet in the bars and turns out she's classy too...)

Oh and that Countach (sp?) business...I saw one the other day and was totally underwhelmed...how the mighty have fallen.

Ok, time for my opinion :D That is if your interested about an opinion from a car designer...Anyways, the anwer is YES.

I feel the car's design is definetly dated. Is that a bad thing? Not at all. You can tell by certain design cues that the car was designed in the late 80's, but it was very, very well designed and designed well beyond it's years.

I'd consider it more of a "classic" design rather than "dated". Even with updates, the car still shows its age (just like when someone gets a face lift or plastic surgery...they can look better, but not necessarily hide his/her age).

Certain cars are instant classics...Viper, NSX, original 240z, some corvettes and etc. Newer cars are definetly more up to date in their design philosophies, but this does not necesarilly mean its a better design. Its kind of like fashion. I'm sure the fake painted aluminum (ie silver painted plastic) found in most modern cars will soon take the same path as the fake wood trim of the past.

About how the car feels...well that's a different story. I don't feel like the car feels or drives out dated at all. This car still feels and drives better than most other cars on the road today (IMO)...obviously, not necesarilly faster, but I like the way it feels.:cool: I just sold it, and hope the next gen. NSX will be just as great.

Yes and No.

It doesn't look dated, it doesn't drive dated, and it doesn't feel dated.

But... I have to admit that some of the features which are absolutely ordinary on garden variety cars today (Homelink and keyless entry to name two) and I have on my other cars are glaring exceptions to me. I can add the keyless entry but it aint cheap and it would still require a bulky key fob (unlike the design built into the key fob on a gaden variety accord or lexus) and I think I'm SOL on the homelink (which sucks when I have the roof panel off my car).

But these are relatively minor issues and the fact is that in the year I've had my NSX, I've had the "itch" to try out several newer and supposedly better cars (Porsche 987S, Cayman S, C6 Corvette, etc.) and nothing was as satisfying overall to drive as my now 8-year old car. At least not to me.

Here is a private message I sent just now to a prime member. Kind of related to this thread and kind of not. The car did feel old, but now it feels more new...

-------------------------------------------------------------

The 360 is a different car. Then again I'm not that experienced on tracks. Yes it's everything I hoped it would be but in a different way. My personal view of the 360 is your paying for the horsepower, name, status and probally the main thing the sound. If I learned anything from Eddie that I didn't learn from my previous instructors from other events was to be smooth. With that in mind the nextday I drove the NSX and it made me appreciate it alot more. My feeling is the NSX was built for the track. Before the event I felt like the NSX was a tad slugish, gears are too long, etc but all not in a bad way. But now, the way it is was built to be smooth. Perhaps built to be forgiving and make you a better driver. Any chance do you feel like that in your car? I've actually never took any of my NSX's on the track. This is my second NSX. The 1st one i had 3 years ago I was forced to sell due to job layoff. Now I got the 2nd NSX 3-4 months ago it's in a way not the same. Kind of like a old girlfriend, the wow factor is gone because been there done that. That is now the 360 came into play, it was something different.

I don't think you can really compare the 2 cars. Both built for very different purposes. I don't think one if better then the other. Personally I don't like the power assist on the 360, steering is a bit light even in sport mode. The NSX has alot better feedback through the steering wheel. I guess what I'm trying to say is just because it says "Ferrari" don't mean it's better. What is better is what fits your needs. But I feel very lucky I can own a Ferrari.

I for sure want to do more track days. I had fun. I think one of the best parts if meeting all the different people out there. You got people with Porche GT2's to people with Scion's. It's about the sport and love of cars that bring people together. I do think it would be cool to work up to be a instructor someday.

Lack of NAV and other electronic goodies is part of the reason the NSX doesn't seem dated...because those are the things that get old quick. Wire in a mini-jack (or buy an FM transmitter) and you'll be able to use an iPod through the stereo today (as well as whatever is cool in 10 years).

The optional phone made the NSX feel cool/new in 1991, but is something a lot of us are glad can be easily removed. Just think what today's cars with all these built-in (and much more difficult to remove) gadgets are going to feel like in 15 years. :eek:

"only" 270/290 horses makes it a little underpowered compared to modern competition...but a supercharger will solve that real quick (and it will still be more dependable than modern competition unless you're upping boost, etc in trying to squeeze every possible horse out of it)

Spinner said:
I'd consider it more of a "classic" design rather than "dated". Even with updates, the car still shows its age (just like when someone gets a face lift or plastic surgery...they can look better, but not necessarily hide his/her age).
QUOTE]

Agreed. That is, if you're interested in the opinion of a surgeon.

Da Hapa said:
...I think I'm SOL on the homelink...
I don't see any reason one of these ($150) couldn't be wired into the NSX somewhere (don't see why it has to be in the visor)...or maybe even find a homelink-compatible remote control that runs off batteries (not sure if this one really is compatible or not). You might be able to get the visor insert cheaper than $150 by buying a visor out of a junk yard from a car that had homelink and cutting the unit out.

The Wayne-Dalton 3-button remote and/or keyless entry pad and/or other controllers may also be homelink compatable (not sure). You can see one (no details) by going to one of their opener pages and clicking on "3-Button Remote" or "Wireless, keyless entrypad" on the lower left.

Last edited:
10Blade said:
Spinner said:
QUOTE]

Agreed. That is, if you're interested in the opinion of a surgeon.

Absolutely! I'm always up for learning. I don't know how long plastic surgery has come, I just remember seeing my aunt when she got a face lift (about 6 years ago)....it made her face look a little less "worn out":biggrin: , but I could still tell she was around 40.

latzke said:
I don't see any reason one of these ($150) couldn't be wired into the NSX somewhere...
I had one in my 92. It was installed where the roof upholstery meets the windshield, directly in front of the center visor.

Back