• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double DIN video head unit thread

Todd,

Love the install, the Double-DIN Alpine is perfectly centered and looks factory installed (nice console work, where did you have it done and how much did they charge?). Also like the junk tray.

This may be the year I finally replace my factory radio! The new Pioneer AVIC X series units look real enticing! Does anyone know how the new X710BT compares (specs, features, performance etc.) to the previous F700BT that got a lot of praise on this forum post 2.0 firmware update? Thanks in advance!

Here's my setup, installed by friend and prime member ddozier. He did a FANTASTIC job.

I found a guy on the avic411.com forum that makes a bigger radio knob.
http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=21115

DSC00890.jpg

DSC00896.jpg

DSC00912.jpg

DSC00913.jpg

DSC00897.jpg

DSC00904.jpg

DSC00909.jpg

DSC00916.jpg

DSC00917.jpg

Last edited:
It could be common knowledge, but I just figured out that you can use your ipod adapter to play just about any audio from your iphone. My bro has a police scanner app - we were listening to that. I have Pandora on my iphone - I can listen to that in my car. This is awesome! I'm gonna cancel my XM subscription.

I would imagine this works with any head unit that is compatible with an ipod adapter, not just the AVIC.

It could be common knowledge, but I just figured out that you can use your ipod adapter to play just about any audio from your iphone. My bro has a police scanner app - we were listening to that. I have Pandora on my iphone - I can listen to that in my car. This is awesome! I'm gonna cancel my XM subscription.

I would imagine this works with any head unit that is compatible with an ipod adapter, not just the AVIC.

That's how it has worked on all Kenwood headunits I've used.

I've looked at everyone's install and props for the install BUT......:confused:

WHY DOES EVERYONE INSTALL THEIR LOWER DOUBLE DIN UNIT FLUSH WITH THE DASH - THE GLARE MAKES THEM USELESS EXCEPT AT NIGHT :confused:

How come no one has thought about making the dash mold beveled out a bit so the double din can be mounted at more acceptable (aka readable) level?

I know it's hard to explain but instead of flushing the double din into the dash, decrease the angle of the deck to a more acceptable level. Next, fiberglass and build around the deck a "Bill" or lip if you can imagine sort of like a baseball cap. Mold around the deck to get a perfect fit. :biggrin:

I told myself no stereo in my nsx but now you know the route I'm leaning towards.

WHY DOES EVERYONE INSTALL THEIR LOWER DOUBLE DIN UNIT FLUSH WITH THE DASH - THE GLARE MAKES THEM USELESS EXCEPT AT NIGHT :confused:

How come no one has thought about making the dash mold beveled out a bit so the double din can be mounted at more acceptable (aka readable) level?

I know it's hard to explain but instead of flushing the double din into the dash, decrease the angle of the deck to a more acceptable level. Next, fiberglass and build around the deck a "Bill" or lip if you can imagine sort of like a baseball cap. Mold around the deck to get a perfect fit. :biggrin:

I told myself no stereo in my nsx but now you know the route I'm leaning towards.

Yup, I wish I did the same. The glare during the day is pretty bad - no, its terrible, unless there is some shade on the unit. There is a pic around here somewhere of someone who got that recessed angle install done with their Kenwood unit and it looks pretty good.

It can be done but it's a lot of work. There is very little room to play with and it can require moving things like the ashtray and climate control. The glare isn't that bad to live with actually. You'll find that you can see the deck fine most of the time and you actually don't look at it that much when it's in a bad situation.

In regards to my upper post about building "OUT" the upper edge, it seems this nsx owner read my mind.

Notice how the upper edge is actually smooothed outwards? Of course my plan is to make it even more pronouced so the deck can be mounted at a less extreme angle to avoid almost all of the glare.

3825Kenwood1.JPG

be sure to realize that the "less extreme angle" is not possible without drastically modifying the area unseen behind. there is just enough space for the radio and AC controls to sit parallel to each other. i was going to mount my ddin like you suggest and found out that you will have to cut out the factory radio mount and refab it as well as lose the ashtray assembly.

sorry i just looked up a bit and you got the exact same reply.

In regards to my upper post about building "OUT" the upper edge, it seems this nsx owner read my mind.

Notice how the upper edge is actually smooothed outwards? Of course my plan is to make it even more pronouced so the deck can be mounted at a less extreme angle to avoid almost all of the glare.

3825Kenwood1.JPG

Hehe. That's my car.

Also, I don't think I would have installed a head unit without reverse tilt.

Last edited:
Hehe. That's my car.

Also, I don't think I would have installed a head unit without reverse tilt.

where did you get that console trim? and how did you mount it like that? ... thx

The glare is there, but my tint does help. I normally dont look at the screen unless im using the nav, or at a stop light. I took some of my pics with the top out, of course that increased the glare. I guess to each his own on the headunit visor thingy.:smile:

Last edited:
I'm sure there are some "challenges" but thanks for the insight guys, as I get into this more I'm sure there will be more issues. Mounting a radio in a pre-existing hole is much easier than mounting a radio where is is no hole to begin with such as in my s2000....(see picture below)

My plan is to use the Eclipse AVN726P unit which to my knowledge does NOT have the reverse tilt feature so I have to really look at all the angles. As another poster noted, I LOVE to drive with the targa top off so too much glare is definitely a NO NO as it gets annoying....

My entire install will be custom without cutting anything besides the dash trim piece so it will be unique. My goal is to create the ultimate double din dash setup and also integrate my V1 display and a few other things I want to use on a daily basis. I hate having the cigarette plug right next to the shifter so that entire cavity will be gone. Figured if I'm going to spend the time and effort might as well make it look perfect.

Layout from top to bottom below the temp control will be as follows:

V1 display + Switches > Eclipse AVN726P radio > Audiocontrol Preamp unit

Sidenote: Is Kenwood the only company that offers "reverse tilt" so far?

here's what I did for my s2000, we hated the oem radio location so we cut a hole in the dash and hand built the bezel so it sits squarely between passenger and driver. Note the unit is deeply flush mounted to avoid glare!

Eclipse_overview.jpg

Just had my Alpine W200 installed, but now there is a static pop when I change the radio station (yes, I have an iPod connection). Anybody have or fixed this problem??

This may be the year I finally replace my factory radio! The new Pioneer AVIC X series units look real enticing! Does anyone know how the new X710BT compares (specs, features, performance etc.) to the previous F700BT that got a lot of praise on this forum post 2.0 firmware update? Thanks in advance!

Anyone have experience with this unit yet? Malibu?

same units with a slightly more polished interface and response time. i just put the 910 on display the other day and played with it for a few minutes.

physically they are the same units. less features and more $$ this year.

no high volt pre-out model, no premier model w/ 2 year warranty. no ipod cable in the 910 unlike the f90.(i recommend the apple cable anyways as the pioneer one is junk.)

the interface is slightly faster and it doesn't have the same lag as last year but its still not where it should be for the money IMO.

ill update anything else i notice.

IMG_0814w.jpg

:biggrin:

pioneer avic z3
dvd
sirius radio
bluetooth
backup camera
custom double din painted in black
subwoofer in passenger footwell
tweeters
jl audio amp​

Attachments

• 030NSX.jpg
    030NSX.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 638
They now have some that have an adjustable angle to help with glare. I do not have any experience with them so I do not know how effective the tilt is in an NSX, something like this...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVH...od&nvpair=FFBrand|Pioneer&nvpair=FFBrand|Sony

Yes Kenwood's reverse tilt is the best, we used it recently and no more glare (notice how we angled the deck to get rid of the odd angle seen by most installs above)

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3886.jpg

But these days quite frankly double din's are being dated faster than cassette players - who the heck uses DVD's and CD's anyways? :)

This is a recent install we did for a local client:

IMG_0058.jpg

If you want to see more of our work, visit our website or PM us:

www.euroboutique.us

rick

Back