• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double DIN video head unit thread

Nope, iPad way to big

Nothing is impossible if you spend enough money or have the will but I agree in this case, the NSX dash is not wide enough in stock form.

We can do it but that would mean a totally new dash/center console which means major rebuild and something a lot of owners do not want to tackle or invest in.

rick

We can do it but that would mean a totally new dash/center console which means major rebuild and something a lot of owners do not want to tackle or invest in.

We don't need the passenger compartment, do we? :biggrin:

Last edited:
We would need a smaller iPad or bigger iPod Touch for the NSX dash, 7-8" would be perfect IMO.

I guess an ipad really isnt needed, however some smaller tablets or something like that as mentioned by nsxrebel would work great. There's so much more you can do with a tablet (android or ios) that you can't really do with a conventional head unit...:smile:

I guess an ipad really isnt needed, however some smaller tablets or something like that as mentioned by nsxrebel would work great. There's so much more you can do with a tablet (android or ios) that you can't really do with a conventional head unit...:smile:

Agreed I've been doing stereo's for many many years and I can honestly tell you headunits are on their way out. Who the heck carries actual DVD's or CD's these days????

Well, unless your music is ripped and played back at a lossless rate, CD/DVD will still give you the best QUALITY sound. When i get my new head unit I will use the iPod interface almost exclusively - but I still want the ability to play my CDs. Now the casette deck...

why not a galaxy tab thats smaller? or Xoom? ipad's suck... :biggrin:

I love my Xoom. I can't take a dump without it!

I just got the hp touchpad for a wedding gift and I like it - im waiting for honeycomb source to be released so I can reflash it :)

Or be prepared to replace your android tablet every few months when a new one comes out.

Its the same issue with regular head units... same goes for everything in technology.

Its the same issue with regular head units... same goes for everything in technology.

How long do you think before traditional head units go away? I'm still surprised when I see friends having CD cases in their cars. I stopped using CD's in 2005 when I bought my first iPod, and before that I was only using MP3 CD's, so I only carried a few CD's in my car.

How long do you think before traditional head units go away? I'm still surprised when I see friends having CD cases in their cars. I stopped using CD's in 2005 when I bought my first iPod, and before that I was only using MP3 CD's, so I only carried a few CD's in my car.

True well nothing forces people to replace their head unit or any other thing for that matter unless it breaks... I know some ppl who still have the 8 tracks in their muscle cars hahah

I just wish I could run android on my AVIC! :eek:

True well nothing forces people to replace their head unit or any other thing for that matter unless it breaks... I know some ppl who still have the 8 tracks in their muscle cars hahah

I just wish I could run android on my AVIC! :eek:

put this in your dash http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-ViewPad-7-Inch-Android-Tablet/dp/B004ALMF6C and use some sort of adapter to get sound to your speakers.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q65f84mjN_8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
i'm in the beginning stages of mounting a galaxy tab in my navpod...

So my question is, "is it possible to create an app that relplaces the traditional HVAC hardware?" Once that is figured out, the center console could be one large tablet running bothe stereo and heating/cooling functions. Seems like a no brainer.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

So my question is, "is it possible to create an app that relplaces the traditional HVAC hardware?" Once that is figured out, the center console could be one large tablet running bothe stereo and heating/cooling functions. Seems like a no brainer.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

"hey guys I've done a search but came up empty, has anyone else had trouble running their HVAC app? It's 20 degrees out and I am frezzing my balls off, and my tablet keeps saying "error: command <453> not valid" when I try to turn on the heater.... LOL...

Anyway, if you are bent on that, watch this:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/3321/

http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/3320/

Last edited:
Remind me not to use your Xoom.

I received the same comment for my ipad as I'm taking a dump as we speak. :cool:

Back on sub-topic, I don't think it's worth the trouble now to permanently install any tablet in our cars or any other car. Technology advances far too quick and I doubt there will be a universal size for tablets, at least not anytime soon. Head units' sizes, on the other hand, are far more standardized (just give and take 5% on dimensions).

Upgrading your head units and phones would be more practical.

Back