• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Down Force intake Scoop.. Wow!

Re: Down Force intake SCOOP..WOW!!

jcjcf1 said:
I was considering getting the Downforce scoop and was reviewing past threads about it. When I came across the post quoted above, I decided to simply remove my resonator and see what difference it would make. Although I've not ridden in a car with the Downforce scoop, I think BITeR got it right - this is a definite improvement subjectively, and free to boot. My car is a 92 and has CTSC/h/e/stock airbox/UNI filter. It's not just my imagination, along with louder induction sounds, the SC whine (and unfortunately the slight SC rattle at idle) is more pronounced.

Also, and this REALLY surprised me, the car seems more responsive and free-reving, although I'm sure this is simply a pyschological effect. But, to a large extent, perception is reality. I won't put the resonator back unless someone has a valid reason why it needs to be there.

Other than getting my car on jackstands and the wheel removed, this was a simple 15 minute modification.

Whew! I just read this whole thread. Now the questions...:biggrin:

When you are talking about removing the resonator, are you talking about removing the entire OEM piece that is pictured on Downforce's website? And what end did BITeR seal off?

Sorry about the confusion, but I love cheap DIY mods. I just want to be clear on this. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer. :smile:

Ruined 2 said:
Whew! I just read this whole thread. Now the questions...:biggrin:

When you are talking about removing the resonator, are you talking about removing the entire OEM piece that is pictured on Downforce's website? And what end did BITeR seal off?

Sorry about the confusion, but I love cheap DIY mods. I just want to be clear on this. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer. :smile:
I'm not sure what is pictured on the Downforce website, but there is only one piece to remove - the resonator. And other than removing the resonator, I did nothing else.

And I'm not trying to convince anyone not to buy the Downforce scoop, just that you may want to try this first.

Can anyone confirm or deny that one would get less mpg with the scoop? That's the only thing stopping me. Thanks.

jcjcf1 said:
I'm not sure what is pictured on the Downforce website, but there is only one piece to remove - the resonator. And other than removing the resonator, I did nothing else.

And I'm not trying to convince anyone not to buy the Downforce scoop, just that you may want to try this first.

Is there nothing between the outside air inlet and the air box intake then? Wouldn't that cause all kinds of turbulence in the fender well?

Ruined 2 said:
Is there nothing between the outside air inlet and the air box intake then? Wouldn't that cause all kinds of turbulence in the fender well?
Can't speak to the turbulence issue. I'm sure you could get differing opinions on that, informed or otherwise. But since the resonator does not connect physically to the outside air inlet, I'm not sure the turbulence, if any, would be materially changed. Besides, some owners have cone filters in the engine compartment with no direct connect to the sidewall inlet, and probably no resonator in place.

I was not aware that the resonator wasn't connected to the air inlet. Excuse my ignorance on this subject. Is it just there for sound deadening then?

I'm just gonna tear this thing apart and eyeball it for myself. Best way to learn about a car is to dismantle it :biggrin: .

Got my AIS and uni filter today!

Service was first class. I can highly recommend Downforce.
Thanks Peter!

About the product...
I felt a slight improvement in throttle response and the growl from the engine got more pronounced - deeper at low rpm's and much louder on v-tec.
It definitely put a grin on my face when i first tried it! :biggrin:

It does'nt turn your NSX into a Ferrari, (I did'nt expect it to either) but I think it is a good value for money upgrade.

And the Install was a piece of cake, thanks to the instructions that came along.

Last night I took the liner out and removed the entire assembly. It was too late to take her for a ride, so no impressions about the sound/performance yet. But after re-reading some of this, did I remove to much? Sounds like some of the people just removed the little tube hanging off of the back. I yanked the whole pig-stomach looking thing out of there. There's just the opening leading to the airbox with the filter now.

Hey guys. Happy holidays. I just picked up one of these for Christmas. My wife said the response from Downforce was quick and the shipping was fast as well. Anyhow, I just went out to install it. After trial and error I finally got the thing in place but I could not get the upper bracket to line up. After I looked at the instructions and compared it to the bracket I have, I noticed the top bracket was bent the wrong way. My wife has their e-mail and has responded back to them. I hope they understand and just send me the correct bracket. So, if you have one of these and you are going to install it, make sure the bracket is bent the correct way. I almost gave up. I'll post pics and impressions after I hear back from DF.

Anyone have a sound clip of the intake "swoosh" sound? I don't notice it from my df intakes.

VADER33 said:
Hey guys. Happy holidays. I just picked up one of these for Christmas. My wife said the response from Downforce was quick and the shipping was fast as well. Anyhow, I just went out to install it. After trial and error I finally got the thing in place but I could not get the upper bracket to line up. After I looked at the instructions and compared it to the bracket I have, I noticed the top bracket was bent the wrong way. My wife has their e-mail and has responded back to them. I hope they understand and just send me the correct bracket. So, if you have one of these and you are going to install it, make sure the bracket is bent the correct way. I almost gave up. I'll post pics and impressions after I hear back from DF.

You are correct. The design is transposed. I recently bought the AIS as well and found the same flaw. Contact Peter, he is awesome to work with and will make things right! Btw, I sent him pictures to help illustrate the bracket, so he should be aware of the problem.

Regards,
- Z

Thank you Z. I thought I was unique. :biggrin:

NSX FoYoAss said:
You are correct. The design is transposed. I recently bought the AIS as well and found the same flaw. Contact Peter, he is awesome to work with and will make things right! Btw, I sent him pictures to help illustrate the bracket, so he should be aware of the problem.

Regards,
- Z

The company that made the twist brackets got it wrong. We are recalling all customers to let us know this problem so we can have a solution for you. They will be making the new brackets very soon, let us know if you are affected so we can send out the bracket to you. Sorry for the error.
Thanks,
Peter

Got the bracket bent and on the car. I don't know what you guys had to do to get the wheel well back on , but it's a pain in the arse. I have the scoop all the way foreward and the holes are not even close to lining up on the fendor well.I am heading back out now to tinker.

Well, with a little muscle, I got the thing in and the fender well is on. Not perfect, but it's on. I drove the car and was not all imressed. I was driving with the stock piece off so the change is sound is not that noticable. At lower RPMs, the scoop whistles, which drives me nuts. At higher RPM there is a bit more of a growl. Car does not feel faster, but I only drove it for 30 minutes around some back roads. Does anyone know if the whistle goes away?

I think you'll get over the whistle though. Just drive it for a while. Alot of folks actually like the whistle. I thought it was pretty neat AFTER I found out
it was "normal". I was worried till then, lol.

I just didn't expect it by changing the filter alone.

Peter, I have not seen the bracket. Did you guys get a new batch? My last e-mail was from Ben on Jan 12th.
Thanks

I have answered your email and your post in the other threads about this already.

Ben

Everyone that needed a revised bracket should have received one by now. Please let me know if you have not.

We appreciate your patience through this.

Ben, neither you nor Ray (who is supposed to take over from you) had answered any of my 10 or more emails. Stop giving me the cold treatment and be responsible and man enough to answer my emails!!:mad:

My patience is running out. You can't just sell items and not listen to complaints and rectify the problems!

Back