• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Down Force intake Scoop.. Wow!

Re: Down Force intake SCOOP..WOW!!

If I am not mistaken, Peter has personally tried to answer your questions. We have also shipped all your parts, extra parts, etc. the same day you requested these items.

Please forward any questions that have not been aswered to RayDF. I will personally make sure that he replies to each and every question you ask.

Ben

According to Ray's record, he replied to you very promptly. Here is even a copy of the email minus the tracking info:

To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: Complaint!

Dear Shaw,

I apologize for the late response, I personally shipped out missing parts via usps global airmail on 1-24-07 here is the link with the tracking # http://XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
usps track # XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Please accept my apologies.

Regards,
Ray Anamos
Sales Manager
Tourenn
714-288-1630
714-276-0582 fax

If you have any further questions, comments, complaints, you have Ray's direct email. I have the utmost confidence that he is answering your questions.

I will not respond to any more of your posts in threads. All of us here at DF are trying to take make you happy, but we are starting to feel that we may not have the ability to do so.

I did not receive any email or PM from ray. I have double and triple checked my email and pm box. If ray did indeed email or pm me as claimed by you please resend the email to me. Thanks.

Shaw, Don't tell me you bought the scoop :confused: we talked about this.

You have a CTSC so all you NEED to do is run a good filter (or a new clean stock paper one) in your stock air box. Take the fender liner off, remove the entire air intake snake looking assembly.

If anything you might try and smooth the transition from the stock airbox to the SC like the CTSC airbox tries to do with a longer exit into the charger.

You could do this on the cheap by replacing the corrugated airbox to intake pipe with a smooth silicone hose that you can find at any turbo shop for the IC (COLD) connection and 2 clamps.

Like this but it does not have to be CF as your SC will suck all the air it CAN: http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/boy_racer/cf-intake-stage-3/index.cfm

Or spend the BIG bucks and get the CT Box that was designed to go there.

Later, Jeff

I did not receive any email or PM from ray. I have double and triple checked my email and pm box. If ray did indeed email or pm me as claimed by you please resend the email to me. Thanks.

pm sent with email attached..

**also resent a copy of email to you..

RayDF

I ordered mine this week :biggrin:.

I just wanted to say that i had a question about my order after purchase and i sent Ben a PM, he responded to my question in under 2 minutes :eek: . I expected it to take 1 day or more as with alot of companies but 2 minutes. That is exceptional customer service.

Thanks Ben for your help.

hey, can someone help me find a link of a quick DIY install on these scoops? i think my body shop threw away most of my inner workings of stock parts... i have the scoop and metal brackets from DF.... do i need any other parts from stock components? and also instructions if possible... thanks!

I installed the downforce air scoop yesterday. Man this thing makes the engine sound cool :cool: . With the stock exhaust all you here is the howl from the scoop. There is a strange sound that sort of sounds like a a blow off valve on a turbo just not as loud (not sure what that is). I guess you could call it a whistle but it sounds kinda cool too. The first time i stepped on the gas the sound just made me smile :biggrin:. This is well worth the money and everyone should have it.

Thanks Downforce and especially Ben.

Shaw, Don't tell me you bought the scoop :confused: we talked about this.

You have a CTSC so all you NEED to do is run a good filter (or a new clean stock paper one) in your stock air box. Take the fender liner off, remove the entire air intake snake looking assembly.

If anything you might try and smooth the transition from the stock airbox to the SC like the CTSC airbox tries to do with a longer exit into the charger.

You could do this on the cheap by replacing the corrugated airbox to intake pipe with a smooth silicone hose that you can find at any turbo shop for the IC (COLD) connection and 2 clamps.

Like this but it does not have to be CF as your SC will suck all the air it CAN: http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/boy_racer/cf-intake-stage-3/index.cfm

Or spend the BIG bucks and get the CT Box that was designed to go there.

Later, Jeff

Are you saying that it's possible to remove the stock intake scoop and that will increase the amount of air going in and that is 'ok' without consequence? I have an SC & the Comptech Carbon Air Box.. wondering if there's a consequence for this. I can understand that more dirt will get in, but as long as you clean the filter regularly, I guess it's ok.

-Paul

Not sure if this thread still serves a purpose, but...

Finally got one of these things and installed it this weekend. I had been running without the OEM pig stomach with a K&N and it sounded pretty cool. But I still liked the idea of there being a connection between the side scoop and the air inlet.

Workmanship is ok, the inside of the unit looks a little rough but I have no idea how much of a bitch it is to make it, so who am I to judge? Fitment is ok. I'm having the liner trouble and I swear there's nowhere for the scoop to go to clear it. It's right up against the fuel door release mechanism. It's only a small gap visible from beside the car, but the lining actually rolls up a bit by one of the upper plug holes inside the fender well. I'll mess with it more because it bothers me. I can't understand why some have fit and some haven't. It can't be differences in the cars, can it?

No drain hole in mine, but there is an opening at the bottom between the DF piece and the side scoop that would allow water to exit, depending on the volume. But I may drill a hole in the puppy anyways. No one elaborated on whether or not this was necessary or recommended.

As long as this thread is, there are still many questions that never really got a good answer :rolleyes: .

Hi Ruined 2, if you have any other questions please let me know.

Workmanship
The workmanship is what is available for the price it is currently at. If there is any interest for a scoop with double sided finish please chime in. I believe I can make a scoop with clean in and out finish at around $270.00. However the cleanliness of the scoop will not increase the performance because the air traveling through the scoop has to go through the filter which breaks up at flutter. Any surface after the filter becomes critical to the performance of the engine.

Liner Fitment
The best way to do this is to do the following:
1.) Push the air scoop further into the side vent. You can put at least 50 lbs of pressure or something like 1/2 of your body mass into the scoop and it will give you the clearance you need to put the liner back into place. Now tighten the brackets.
2.) Start putting in the clips at the top of the wheel first. Once the middle (top) clip is in, then take the bottom of the liner (the side near the side vent) and push it up hard. This will force the wheel liner to conform to the shape of the wheel arch. Now screw in the large wheel liner screw on the bottom to hold it in place. Once this is done, you can finish putting the rest of the wheel liner clips back into place.

Drain Hole
The first 100 or so units had a drain hole, after I personally tested the effectiness I stopped putting them in. If you really wanted one, you can just put a hole with a drill. For those that don't want the hole it's more involved. So therefore I deleted the drain hole. I did a simple spray mist test where I put a dry paper towel (blue shop towel w/ perforations). Car was in neutral running 4500 rpm and tested to see how much water made into the filter and into the box and scoop. Since the hose was aimed at the vent, the scoop gradually sucked bits of water into the scoop 3/4 way up. At higher engine speeds or aiming the mist up into the scoop will channel water into the airbox. The water got so heavy at 3/4 way up that it begins to flow down once it builds enough weight. Once it flowed down, it drained out from the scoop regardless of the drain hole.

Water Issue
If you get a lot of heavy rain, I would prefer everyone to run with OEM filter. Water and Oil do not mix. For dry conditions the oil filters work perfect, but overall I think paper filters are the most versatile, the only weakness I see with it is the lack of load capacity before failure. It does get expensive after a while especially it is not reusable.

Anyone else have other problems please make it known.

Thank you nsxpowered! I will try your suggestions on the liner and forget about the drain hole. And I just thought the inside of the thing could've been smoothed out a little. But as long as it has no effect on what it's meant to do, it's no big deal.

Thanks again.

Phil.

I messed with this puppy again and did get it to clear the liner. It's all about jamming that sucker as far into the rubber gasket on the inlet of the airbox as possible. After a drive to Fredricksburg, VA to Summit Point, WV to Gettysburg, PA to home, with a lot of it in the rain, I had no water problems whatsoever (with a K&N). And I can't get over how absolutely obnoxious it sounds when you hop on it. Beautiful :smile: .

My experience with water.....

This was one of, if not, the very first mod I did to my 2nd NSX when I bought it. The car pretty much gets driven on nice days. Well, I got caught in the rain and I didn't think it was a big deal. It was raining hard. I mean, cats and dogs hard. The roads were flooding, trucks were passing me and splashing water on and over my car. And during all this, it didn't once register that I has the AIS installed, since I had installed it so long ago.

Got home, not one problem. I've driven 3-4k miles since, no problems. I've never heard of anyone getting water damage with the AIS. Has anyone?

A couple of weeks ago I had a car wash and a while after, I noticed my engine idling rough and not having as much power during acceleration. I called my mechanic and I was on the way to bringing the car there until the issue resolved itself while driving on the freeway.

I have the Downforce scoop and GruppeM air filter. I inspected the filter as much as I can but could not find anything out of order.

I'll keep a close watch the next time I do my car wash.

My experience with water.....

This was one of, if not, the very first mod I did to my 2nd NSX when I bought it. The car pretty much gets driven on nice days. Well, I got caught in the rain and I didn't think it was a big deal. It was raining hard. I mean, cats and dogs hard. The roads were flooding, trucks were passing me and splashing water on and over my car. And during all this, it didn't once register that I has the AIS installed, since I had installed it so long ago.

Got home, not one problem. I've driven 3-4k miles since, no problems. I've never heard of anyone getting water damage with the AIS. Has anyone?

A couple of weeks ago I had a car wash and a while after, I noticed my engine idling rough and not having as much power during acceleration. I called my mechanic and I was on the way to bringing the car there until the issue resolved itself while driving on the freeway.

I have the Downforce scoop and GruppeM air filter. I inspected the filter as much as I can but could not find anything out of order.

I'll keep a close watch the next time I do my car wash.

Did you wash the engine bay as well? Generally, if you power wash the engine bay, water does get into the spark plug tube/coil area and will cause misfiring (especially during idle or low RPMs).

Did you wash the engine bay as well? Generally, if you power wash the engine bay, water does get into the spark plug tube/coil area and will cause misfiring (especially during idle or low RPMs).

It was just a regular car wash, unless their "Underbody Wash" feature was powerful enough to get water into the spark plug tube/coil. Should I be shopping for new plugs to be on the safe side? Thanks in advance for any advice! :smile:

It was just a regular car wash, unless their "Underbody Wash" feature was powerful enough to get water into the spark plug tube/coil. Should I be shopping for new plugs to be on the safe side? Thanks in advance for any advice! :smile:

I posted before that the OEM RWG is designed the wrong way or with a planned deffect.

I was washing my car when I noticed that water was getting into the engine bay thru the RWG ( rear window garnish ), I assumed that it was due to me removing the engine cover in anticipation of getting my NA2-R cover .

So I reinstalled the cover and the water keeps on coming in! The posts were the RWG attaches to the engine bay are not covered by the engine cover!

Everytime one watches the car, the rear bank valve cover gets wet!

I had new gaskets installed just in case when I had the valve clearnces checked/adjusted.

Seems like cheap insurance.

Cheers,

AR

I have one recommendation. this scoop does not have any drainage. I drilled a small hole on the bottom for drainage purpose.

sorry for bumping an old thread. The NSX I'm about to purchase has one of these installed and I wanted to know a little more about this so I read up.

I had one question, living in FL, I've always been worried about intakes and water.

Is there any chance this thing can suck up too much water from the side scoops?

Chances are this car will never see a drop of water other than when I wash it. But I'm still curious.

I know its been discussed in the thread, but given that most everyone in here has 2 years + with experience with it I was wondering if there is any update to information regarding heavy rain etc...

Thanks In Advance!

Last edited:

I can only tell you from my personal experience, I have driven on the track and the street in absolute torrential downpours with no ill effects. One time I got caught in a downpour that was one of those that you have to slow down to 20 mph on the highway (with RainX and full wipers) to see more than 50' in front you. No problems.

sorry for bumping an old thread. The NSX I'm about to purchase has one of these installed and I wanted to know a little more about this so I read up.

I had one question, living in FL, I've always been worried about intakes and water.

Is there any chance this thing can suck up too much water from the side scoops?

Chances are this car will never see a drop of water other than when I wash it. But I'm still curious.

I know its been discussed in the thread, but given that most everyone in here has 2 years + with experience with it I was wondering if there is any update to information regarding heavy rain etc...

Thanks In Advance!

Hi!

I've had the DF scoop since it was first introduced, honestly from the top of my head can't remember how many years back but definitely more then 3 years. I've driven through some torrential rains here(04deg North latitude) I have not encounter any problems. Never cross my mind anymore until I read this post again today. Together with the scoop I'm using GruppeM intake, pretty sure that would not make make any difference with any other intake. Unless maybe intakes which bolt straight into the top of the scoop ... maybe.

Back