• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Downforce/Mugen rep. stack?

For those who have or had these, are they worth the price. Even used they fetch a healthy $$. Are they just for bragging rights? What's the real story?

Also wondering because they are more than double what a used cf airbox lid goes for so they better perform.

Claims are 10 whp iirc.. If you can't tell I bet it's useless like all the other intakes. Or just as good as the $50 UNI filter..

If you really want to know, do Dyno test before and after that would answer your question. Couple more hp, cant feel or cant tell the difference. But I like the sound of the exhaust.

Last edited:
There's a big difference esp in feel and sound, theres more air going into the motor so there's a hp gain granted I don't redline or vtech my car really ,I have a dry carbon mugen intake with a mugen filter not a df foam filter that the replicas come with , I also have it connected to a Cantrell air intake tube and the dfr cf sides , so over all there's a big weight savings gain also , when i open up the car ounce on a blue moon i feel like it opens up , anyways bottom line it's really a expensive mod compared to say the prospeed injector mod , if y'all guys want hp bang for the buck get that

Last edited:
I think there isn't any more air going into the cylinders because it still bottle necks at the throttle body and then in the intake manifold before it gets there. Then again The uni filter showed small gains too IIRC and that still deals with the same restrictions. There may be increased velocity perhaps, I don't know all the variables. It did show dyno results so there's proof of gains but I'd like to see multiple dynos all confirming the same gains to determine effectiveness, to justify such a high cost. I can't hear anything over my exhaust so "better sounding" is not a factor for me at all.

I think there isn't any more air going into the cylinders because it still bottle necks at the throttle body and then in the intake manifold before it gets there. Then again The uni filter showed small gains too IIRC and that still deals with the same restrictions. There may be increased velocity perhaps, I don't know all the variables. It did show dyno results so there's proof of gains but I'd like to see multiple dynos all confirming the same gains to determine effectiveness, to justify such a high cost. I can't hear anything over my exhaust so "better sounding" is not a factor for me at all.

No one can hear anything over your exhaust. :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

So did DF make 2 versions of these. With carbon brackets and without? I've seen both versions. Now I'm confused. :confused:

Haha yes I am going for that race car loud sound David ;) and yes DF made a couple versions though I think they were successive and not offered concurrently (only difference is brackets I think).

Man the dyno graphs are dead so you can't analyze them for area under the curve. Peak HP really means nothing..

For those who have or had these, are they worth the price. Even used they fetch a healthy $$. Are they just for bragging rights? What's the real story?

David you're an old timer here are you seriously asking this? The best intake in the world on an nsx will give you 2 HP. if you have forced induction, the number grows to 10-15 with a twin screw supercharger (not a centrifugal or a turbo which won't use the OEM intake route at all)

Yes that downforce stack is as good as it gets IMO.... but don't go expecting anything big. It's just not where the NSX bottlenecks.

Last edited:
David you're an old timer here are you seriously asking this? The best intake in the world on an nsx will give you 2 HP. if you have forced induction, the number grows to 10-15 with a twin screw supercharger (not a centrifugal or a turbo which won't use the OEM intake route at all)

Yes that downforce stack is as good as it gets IMO.... but don't go expecting anything big. It's just not where the NSX bottlenecks.
Well Dave, I really want one for the "cool factor" and that's about it. I was just wondering is there any other advantange other than bragging rights. Theres 2 for sale at the moment. One with mounting brackets/one without. Decisions, decisions.:redface:

Well Dave, I really want one for the "cool factor" and that's about it. I was just wondering is there any other advantange other than bragging rights. Theres 2 for sale at the moment. One with mounting brackets/one without. Decisions, decisions.:redface:

It's a lot of dough for bragging rights! LOL... I got you... Like I said I think it is the best intake. So it's not going to hurt anything. But I have never seen an intake alone do 10 HP unless its on some twin turbo AMG V12 or a viper motor. On a 3.2 NA NSX that already has a good instake but a tight throttle body? No.

It does look fantastic.

Last edited:
Well it did show dyno gains... But now there's no graph to see unless somebody saved them. If its at least ten usable power across the rev band then that would be much more value than ten peak HP in a small window.

Well it did show dyno gains... But now there's no graph to see unless somebody saved them. If its at least ten usable power across the rev band then that would be much more value than ten peak HP in a small window.

Nero, you need to take Dyno graphs by the people that make and sell a product with a grain of salt. If every part sold actually produced what the Dyno sheet shows we'd all be driving around 1500 HP cars. You have to understand the manufacturer always has an incentive to get bigger numbers. I am not saying they lie outright, but the test conditions are often "favorable". I've seen waaaay too many independent Dyno tests on intakes to fall for the whole cold air cone shape miracle swirl power thing.

I do believe that with a blower there is some restriction not only at the throttle body but at the factory airbox. It's beyond the filter at that point.

Last edited:
Well you're right Dave, I would like to see multiple dynos confirming the results but now we don't even have one to look at! That does perhaps indicate that everyone buys it for bling and not performance.

No need for dyno....................it has Mugen POWER................

I've really noticed no power difference between this and the Comtech box I had. I had the complete Comtech setup way back. The DF is much much louder though. I suppose it's due to straight through design though. My wife even noticed the noise, and she's clueless about cars.
haha..............................It has mugen replica power............................ so there's no power gain.

Back