• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dropping the motor tomorrow. Advice?

Good to hear you were able to get away without touching it with the chisel. I had two vvis plate screws loose. Time to put it all back together. I'll see you at NSXPO ;)

Good to hear you were able to get away without touching it with the chisel. I had two vvis plate screws loose. Time to put it all back together. I'll see you at NSXPO ;)

Wow, good catching the screws!

See you there (as long as I didn't fudge up my rebuild!) We'll see once it's back together in a week or two ;)

Mike B

Wow Mike- you have made HUGE progress since I last visited you at your shop. These pictures are so beautiful and your attention to detail is ridiculous, I love it! No doubt you will be piecing together what will last you many many years and smiles to come. Maybe a few of us can cruise over to enjoy its first start up with you, if thats cool :) looking forward to results!

Wow Mike- you have made HUGE progress since I last visited you at your shop. These pictures are so beautiful and your attention to detail is ridiculous, I love it! No doubt you will be piecing together what will last you many many years and smiles to come. Maybe a few of us can cruise over to enjoy its first start up with you, if thats cool :) looking forward to results!

Hey Robert. Thanks man! It's been a lot of work (partially due to overthinking everything) but it has been really cool to learn a bit about the NSX's inner workings.

Yeah you guys are welcome to swing by. I don't know when I'll fire it up for the first time, but we'll do a F1 night or something shortly after and do an NSX photo shoot :smile:

Mike B

Really nice work man! Looks to be a very clean and well kept car! I also have a sebring silver (with silver rpf1s too actually) and plan on doing a engine pull for maintenance. Hopefully its as easy as you make it seem to be!

Really nice work man! Looks to be a very clean and well kept car! I also have a sebring silver (with silver rpf1s too actually) and plan on doing a engine pull for maintenance. Hopefully its as easy as you make it seem to be!

Thanks! Where are you located? It would be funny to see an identical sebring to mine rolling around.

Best of luck with it. If you like knowing how things work, I probably won't be difficult for you. It all seems to make sense. The difficult part is having the patience to read the manual throughly and do the research online. If anything at all seems off, just stop and do research. It saved me a few times!

I've never dropped a motor, or done anything more involved than a valve adjustment. The manual walks you through the process really well though, and nsxprime fills in the gaps.

Mike B

Last edited:
The NSX is back together and I've put about 300 miles on it across the past few days. I'm happy to report it hasn't exploded! :biggrin:

Here are some pics for you guys. I wanted to make sure I got some shots of the engine since it will likely never be this clean again.
Also, did a little write up on the Defi ZD install behind the oem headunit screen. Trying to keep the cockpit clean and free of frills.

Big thank you to Larry Bastanza for accepting my calls and offering advice, and to all my friends and NSX brothers for the help and infinite wisdom! NSX Prime is a great place.

Mike B

Last edited:
Congratulations on a job well done!!
I'm sure it gives you a lot of satisfaction to crank your car and go for a drive now.

I hopefully will be following in your footsteps shortly (minus most of the cool mods).
You have been an inspiration.

Congratulations on a job well done!!
I'm sure it gives you a lot of satisfaction to crank your car and go for a drive now.

I hopefully will be following in your footsteps shortly (minus most of the cool mods).
You have been an inspiration.

Thanks JL! Yeah, it makes me feel like I have "earned" driving the NSX now. Best of luck with your rebuild. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Mike B

Thanks JL! Yeah, it makes me feel like I have "earned" driving the NSX now. Best of luck with your rebuild. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Mike B

You're welcome. That's how I feel anytime I do work on my vehicles. Thank you, it will be more of just an overhaul of everything. Pretty much a bunch of maintenance. Thanks for the offer.

(I need to build a shop with a lift, lol)

Also, where did you find the Honda cradle?
And, were those the OEM rear quarter panel covers or the aftermarket reproductions?

Last edited:
You're welcome. That's how I feel anytime I do work on my vehicles. Thank you, it will be more of just an overhaul of everything. Pretty much a bunch of maintenance. Thanks for the offer.

(I need to build a shop with a lift, lol)

Also, where did you find the Honda cradle?
And, were those the OEM rear quarter panel covers or the aftermarket reproductions?

The lift is a dream. Even just raising the car to stomach height so you don't have to bend over as much. They can be found brand new and installed for around $3500, and they have versions that are shorter for home garages. I chose to go with Rotary as it seems the quality is a step higher than Bendpak, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

The engine cradle belongs to a friend. I haven't tried looking for them online, but here is the part number if you want to try to source one: 07MAK-PR7020A

The mechanics mat I'm using is the OEM Honda one (part # 07MAZ-SL0000A). I found it in the Prime for sale section since it's been discontinued for a while. They come up once in a while.

If you have budget, this is the best time to install this since the engine is out.

Really does work and adds to the bling.

I wish I knew about this when I had the engine dropped.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dei...jPCLgpfbxgIVhTOICh2fDASG#tbm=isch&q=dei+gold+

Yeah, I went with heat reflective films from Thermal Protection. After some research, they seem to be the original makers of the stuff. I've applied a bunch of it in the different forms (thicknesses and colors) to my NSX, and it's definitely good quality. It's holding up well so far. I've put about 400 miles on my car in the past week.

Mike B

Hi Mike

I'm about to drop the motor and do water pump/timing belt/LMA/valve adjustment service on my NSX. While I got everything apart - I'm interested in doing the gold wrap like you did. How much feet of the wrap did you order (I will be wrapping all the same areas you did)?

TIA
Jeff

Hi Mike

I'm about to drop the motor and do water pump/timing belt/LMA/valve adjustment service on my NSX. While I got everything apart - I'm interested in doing the gold wrap like you did. How much feet of the wrap did you order (I will be wrapping all the same areas you did)?

TIA
Jeff

Hey Jeff.

I don't recall exactly since I wrapped various areas in different types of heat foil. You can measure out the areas you'll be heat wrapping, and order an extra foot on top of that to be safe. The sheets are approx 28" wide and are ordered in increments of 12". I like going through these guys; they have the best service and I believe shipping is free: http://www.fuelsafe.com/store/fab500.html

That link is the gold foil that I used. The picture isn't accurate.

Mike B

Thanks for replying. I was hoping you had some sort of idea as I wanted to order the foil have it ready so the car isn't stuck at the shop. Do you think 5 feet is enough? Or do you recall how many feet you ordered initially?

Thanks
Jeff

Hey Jeff.

I don't recall exactly since I wrapped various areas in different types of heat foil. You can measure out the areas you'll be heat wrapping, and order an extra foot on top of that to be safe. The sheets are approx 28" wide and are ordered in increments of 12". I like going through these guys; they have the best service and I believe shipping is free: http://www.fuelsafe.com/store/fab500.html

That link is the gold foil that I used. The picture isn't accurate.

Mike B

Thanks for replying. I was hoping you had some sort of idea as I wanted to order the foil have it ready so the car isn't stuck at the shop. Do you think 5 feet is enough? Or do you recall how many feet you ordered initially?

Thanks
Jeff

I would buy 6 feet to be safe. You'll likely have extra, but it can come in handy.

Please post up some pics on this thread of your progress and process. It can be tricky applying the foil to the curves and crevices, so I'm curious how others accomplish it.

Mike B

excellon said:
I noticed you wrapped some in silver. Will the 6 feet you suggested cover those silver parts as well?

Yup. I used silver above the muffler because it is 14mil thick (instead of 6mil) and has better heat reflection. It's something crazy like 95%. It's also harder to work with since it's thicker. If I recall correctly, that plate above the muffler takes 2 feet.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably just do all gold. I used 4 types of film mostly to just test how they react to application and heat reflection. The 6mil gold is the best overall, so I'll be using that in the future as much as possible (unless limited by an area's dimensions or surface restrictions)

Mike B

Really nice job on the rebuild Mike. I wish I had known about the heat shielding when I dropped my motor last month, but then again I was pressed for time to get it back together after getting stuck in a DYI shop for 3 weeks with an unexpected wiped cam bearing on the front head. Next time I pull the motor I'll make sure it's at home so I can take my time. Right now I'm dealing with loss of oil pressure mystery when both vtec banks engage so it looks like I'll be breaking down the front head to see what if I can find where the problem is.
Joe

Really nice job on the rebuild Mike. I wish I had known about the heat shielding when I dropped my motor last month, but then again I was pressed for time to get it back together after getting stuck in a DYI shop for 3 weeks with an unexpected wiped cam bearing on the front head. Next time I pull the motor I'll make sure it's at home so I can take my time. Right now I'm dealing with loss of oil pressure mystery when both vtec banks engage so it looks like I'll be breaking down the front head to see what if I can find where the problem is.
Joe

Thanks Joe. Sorry to hear that. I hope you're able to diagnose the problem and have it running well!

Mike B

Thanks Joe. Sorry to hear that. I hope you're able to diagnose the problem and have it running well!

Mike B

Thanks. Installing the SOS oil pressure sensor upgrade this weekend just to eliminate any possible errors in the the gauge, and I'll be connecting a mechanical gauge in various locations to see if I can narrow down the area where the problem may be.

Back