• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drove a Tesla P85 awhile ago...

The price is high. But the cost may be lower than expected.

Here's a Net Present Value spreadsheet that looks at total cost over 8 years.

http://www.teslacost.com/

I agree the interior could use a little work. It is Spartan.

Once you drive it...it's hard to go back. Can you imagine what the 690 HP P85D will be like?!

I can't imagine. Its going to be awesome!

I know it's kind of crazy. You really don't "feel" the weight though. And because that weight is only 6 inches off the ground - the car handles like a dream.

There's no real way to describe this unless you've driven one. If you haven't driven one yet - do yourself a favor. Even if you have no plans to buy one. Just take an afternoon and take a test drive in a P85....or wait until the P85D comes out. Instead of going to the roller coaster at the amusement park take a test drive. You won't be able to wipe that silly grin off your face for a long time. Musk's analogy about being catapulted off of a carrier deck is spot on.

Extrapolating how LiOn batteries are advancing when it comes to energy density and cost reduction - the future looks pretty damn rosy indeed. The modest inconvenience of having to give more thought to planning a trip by making sure there's charging points along the way, or by dotting the map between supercharger sites is a small price to pay for this exhilaration.

Funny that I found this thread yesterday because I had already scheduled a test drive of the Model S 85 today.

10428041_10205269042064824_6756321464015430346_n.jpg

And it was either a good thing or a really bad thing that reading this thread convinced me to ask if I could try the P85 as well. The 85 is impressive, but the P85 is most impressive. I can't imagine what the P85D will be like.

I'm not even in the market for the Model S. I just wanted to get an idea of what to expect when the Model X comes out so I can better decide between the performance models.

The biggest surprise is definitely that the P85 does NOT feel heavy or large when you're behind the wheel. I accelerates fast and slows quickly (wonder how long it takes to get used to the fact the car starts slowing the second you take your foot off the accelerator pedal) and I really didn't feel the weight of the car in the one turn I carried a bit of speed into (the test drive area was limited to a fairly simple route on local streets...sadly no twisties in the near vicinity).

Last edited:
Funny that I found this thread yesterday because I had already scheduled a test drive of the Model S 85 today.

And it was either a good thing or a really bad thing that reading this thread convinced me to ask if I could try the P85 as well. The 85 is impressive, but the P85 is most impressive. I can't imagine what the P85D will be like.

I'm not even in the market for the Model S. I just wanted to get an idea of what to expect when the Model X comes out so I can better decide between the performance models.

The biggest surprise is definitely that the P85 does NOT feel heavy or large when you're behind the wheel. I accelerates fast and slows quickly (wonder how long it takes to get used to the fact the car starts slowing the second you take your foot off the accelerator pedal) and I really didn't feel the weight of the car in the one turn I carried a bit of speed into (the test drive area was limited to a fairly simple route on local streets...sadly no twisties in the near vicinity).

I didn't like how fast it started slowing down when you take your foot off the pedal. You can change it in the options to make it feel more like a normal car, but you lose some regeneration.

I thought the car felt big, maybe not heavy, but big.

I thought the car felt big, maybe not heavy, but big.

The car is huge...way larger than I'd ever want for a car...which is why I'm only looking at the Model X. Have no issues driving a big SUV.

Last edited:
The car is huge...way larger than I'd ever want for a car...which is why I'm only looking at the Model X. Have no issues driving a big SUV.

The Model S has a lot of room too. Perhaps more than many SUVs. With the exception of 3rd row seating of course.

Back