• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dynamat

Hi
I'm doing some P. Maintenance on my window regs and decided to repalce the torn/damaged plastic covering with dynamat. Are there any tricks that may make the job easier or more sanitary looking?
thanks
Jim

Hi Jim - other problem you will have is that the dynamat will want to stick to areas you don't want it to stick to - like the door lock actuating lever; you also have a lot of open areas in inner door skin & you may need to put something solid over there to support the dynamat (Piece of stiff plastic sheet perhaps, like a binder divider?)

You can checkout some of my photos on this site:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/br...oo.com/ph/[email protected]/my_photos

Just make sure you mark off the places where the screws for the door handle and panels go so you don't go poking around. I pulled off all the wiring harnesses and tried to clear down to bare metal as much as possible before laying the dynamat down. Taking pictures with a digital camera help you find where things were and where things should go. Wear gloves because your skin will start peeling if you're pushing the hot dynamat around with your fingers. Start at the top of the door and move down.

Well, the dynamat install went just as I hoped it would. But now my doors are 5 lbs heavier so I used sunday as an excuse to get what I want, which means new wheels are on order to compensate for the weight gain.

Just curious, has the DYnamat made the interior quieter by any measure?

I do perceive less wind/road noise and a bit better speaker sound, but not by much since the door amps are already enclosed. I also note that the doors close with a much more solid sound. My X being a 92 has a tendancy to develop squeeks and rattles which are now totally eliminated in the doors.

Cheers
Jim

Back