• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

E-55 AMG Vs. NSX CTSC

OK I am going to leave in a few hours and take my car to the track for a drag race against an E-55 AMG. I am not sure I can take this car, it is a monster. But I wanted to make 1-2 runs and see how my car is running anyway. This is the first time I am doing this in this car. I am not going to power shift. I don't care if I run a little slower. I was going to get there early and let the car cool. Run stock tire pressures, regular 93 octane.

I will try to videotape it. Don't get upset if I lose. :biggrin: The E55 also has some sort of exhaust dump system. I would not be surprised of a very low 12 to high 11 run for it. I am hoping to run at least in the high 12's and look competitive. We all know which car will look cooler on the track. I'm not "warming up" the tires, not sure that does anything for street rubber.

Just hope I can get a good launch. I have never launched this car remotely hard. Any advice? I am just going to turn off TCS, was thinking about a 4K launch. Wish me luck.

This:

nsx_glen.jpg

Versus This:

11126-2005-Mercedes-Benz-E55-AMG1.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, you should have no problem if the E55 is stock. You have better power to weight ratio. I had 1 encounter with E55 before, no problem.

Just yesterday, I was cruising with John/Scorp935. I was cruising in 3rd gear anticipating the underpass approaching ahead so I can hear some music. Had no plan to do any run with any one. Just wanted time it right so I can hit 8k rpm in 3rd while passing through the underpass for the maximum sound.

There were a silver thing coming up from behind at rapid speed from left lane. The moment he got next to me, I gone it and I matched his speed immediately and pulled away. I was at a rolling stable speed. He already had momentum coming from behind going WOT. I let off moments after I heard the sound from my exhaust in the underpass as I originally planned. Same exact thing I would had done just to hear the exahust.

According to John afterwards, the CL55 was pulling away from his stock NSX with just exhaust while he was going wot, when it approached me from the left lane.

The AMG guy didn't seem to be too happy and continue to go on and weaves through traffic at crazy speed. I let off once I top the 3rd in theunderpass, exactly like how I planned it even if I were just cruising by myself.

Last edited:
Jason you ever been to a dragway? I hear this one is pretty slippery. Not sure what RPM to launch at so I don't bog. I have Azenis 615's, I hope they will do allright. From a butt dyno, that car felt about the same as mine when I drove it. With a wide open exhaust I think that car will be close to 500 HP. He was trying to put on drag radials but they didn't fit. LOL...

I am sure I will have the highest pitched exhaust on the track!!! :D

Last edited:
Jason you ever been to a dragway? I hear this one is pretty slippery. Not sure what RPM to launch at so I don't bog. I have Azenis 615's, I hope they will do allright. From a butt dyno, that car felt about the same as mine when I drove it. With a wide open exhaust I think that car will be close to 500 HP.

At the strip that is different story, very slippery with the water box and debries left from other car's burn out. Very different than launching on the road or streets.

Lowering your tire pressure gives you way better traction. Most importantly staying clam, pretend you are there by yourself, not thinking about the results, and have unstoppable confidence is the key.

If it is your first try. It would be great learning experience. You will probably only get 80~90% what you are truely capable of.

Yes, I have been to dragstrip. There is a pic of my NSX at the strip and timeslip on my gallery.

I only done it once long ago with no other mods other than SC and exhaust, that was pre-02 conversion as well. Ran a 8.1x SEC @1/8th =approximately 12.5sec 1/4mile. Right now I should be able to hit 7.6~7.8 easily without even trying. Approximately 11.9x~12.3sec.

Last edited:
Drop tire pressure a little -like 32psi rear only,empty any extraneous weight.Don't slip or feather the clutch and don't dump the clutch near redline.Relax! and start you clutch engagement as the last light on the tree is lit to time the green.Don't worry about the other car don't look at the car until you are near the end.

OK Doc... 32 PSI, don't ride the clutch. Just let it out quickly. What RPM? Yes the track I hear is slippery. But the 615's grip well. Maybe 3500K?

I always go on last yellow light. First time I am at the strip with a stick. I ran 11's with my auto Supra before, but it was auto.

I'll keep checking replies with the trusty iphone.

I own both an E55 and an NSX and I am betting on the AMG in this one.

You don't know about my secret weapon. My new e-bay Vortex Generator. They said it should give me an extra 90 Horse.... BOOOOYA!!!!

power.jpg

Last edited:
You don't know about my secret weapon. My new e-bay Vortex Generator. They said it should give me an extra 90 Horse.... BOOOOYA!!!!

power.jpg

your gonna need that, AND a whole bunch of racing stickers to stand a chance against the e55:wink:

and in reference to the cl55 mentioned a few posts earlier, a cl55 weighs like 800 pounds more than an e55, and is it safe to assume the cl55 was supercharged 480ish hp or NA 350hp?

Jason you ever been to a dragway? I hear this one is pretty slippery. Not sure what RPM to launch at so I don't bog. I have Azenis 615's, I hope they will do allright. From a butt dyno, that car felt about the same as mine when I drove it. With a wide open exhaust I think that car will be close to 500 HP. He was trying to put on drag radials but they didn't fit. LOL...

The last time I went, I lowered my tire pressure to 26psi and launched at 2500 rpm and achieved my best run for the day, 12.5@115mph. If I would have launched harder I am sure I could have improved on my 60 ft time, which was 2.2. Good luck and I can't wait to hear how you did! I think it will be a driver's race.

your gonna need that, AND a whole bunch of racing stickers to stand a chance against the e55:wink:

and in reference to the cl55 mentioned a few posts earlier, a cl55 weighs like 800 pounds more than an e55, and is it safe to assume the cl55 was supercharged 480ish hp or NA 350hp?

CL55 are all supercharged, 498 HP, and yes heavier than an E55, since it is an S class coupe. I just bought some octane boost from autozone... It says on the box "liquid supercharger". that should do it... lol... I mean now my car is twin supercharged. Surely an E55 can't beat that!

The last time I went, I lowered my tire pressure to 26psi and launched at 2500 rpm and achieved my best run for the day, 12.5@115mph. If I would have launched harder I am sure I could have improved on my 60 ft time, which was 2.2. Good luck and I can't wait to hear how you did! I think it will be a driver's race.

This is the info I was looking for. You didn't bog down at 2500?

i have faith in turbo2go.

I have a comptech supercharged nsx and up until 4 months ago had a comptech supercharged s2000. My s2000 could barely beat an sl55 (same engine as e55)

I have done this race myself, so this is not speculation. And my nsx can beat my s2000. So turbo's comptech supercharged nsx should beat the e55. However, It will be somewhat of a drivers race.

best of luck, and yes, launch at 2500-3000 rpm , and make sure you turn the traction control off. It will kill your run if you don't

Tom

This is the info I was looking for. You didn't bog down at 2500?

Nope. Again, it will depend on the track conditions, but launching between 2500-2800 should be ideal. If you bog a little the CTSC should be able to pull you through, which is much better than just sitting at the line spinning your tires if you were to launch at a higher RPM....ask me how I know! :biggrin:

And yes....don't forget to turn off your traction control....again...ask me how I know. LOL!

OK leaving in 20 minutes so wish me luck.

Definitely lower the rear tire pressure down to ~25 psi and try to pull around the water box at all costs. I can't give any tips on a launch since you have a CTSC, different rear tires, and are at a different track than I've ever raced.

I would try to get there real early and practice launching a few times, then pull off and let her cool real good with a bag of ice over the CTSC before your main run :wink:

Definitely lower the rear tire pressure down to ~25 psi and try to pull around the water box at all costs. I can't give any tips on a launch since you have a CTSC, different rear tires, and are at a different track than I've ever raced.

I would try to get there real early and practice launching a few times, then pull off and let her cool real good with a bag of ice over the CTSC before your main run :wink:

I agree! Stay away from the water box!!! A rear tire psi of 24-26 should be perfect.

i love my NSX.....but imma say that the E55 AMG will murder you in the straight away----ESPICIALLY the hwy.

my friend has a chipped E55 and that car is just f'ing amazingly fasssst!

power.jpg

haha good one

and for good measure dont forget to pick up one of these :biggrin:
Buy It Now price: US $24.99
PERFORMANCE CHIP ACURA RL GAS FUEL SAVER TL CL MDX NSX
b033_1.JPG

IMG_3650copy.jpg

INCREASED PERFORMANCE

+60 HORSEPOWER
+50 ft/lb of TORQUE
+THROTTLE RESPONSE
+ LOW END ACCELERATION
+ HIGH END POWER!
+ IMPROVED MID RANGE
- Better mid-range acceleration
- Real chip! Don't be fooled by the competition!
- Faster Track times
- Improved track times
- Increased towing performance
- Smoother shifting with automatic and manual transmissions
- Extend the time between engine tune ups!
- Smoother idle
- Fuel burns cleaner, resulting in longer engine life
- Less RPMs for more power = longer engine life
- Better emissions, think green!
- Street Legal

Sounds like a deal of the century, more HP gain for the buck than your CTSC :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
I own a SL55 AMG and it launches like a mad freight train in a straight line. The AMG torque is no joke (almost 500lbs at 2K rpm). I've witness a E55 AMG take down a M5 at the dragstrip last summer. The only weakness is its weight and stock IC (which suffers from heat soak). Run him back-to-back-to-back and you might cause his intercooler to overheat, thus the supercharger will automatically shut down. Good-luck!

Last edited:
Back