• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Electric fan in right side of engine bay?

I took a pic of Rob's (RON98) engine bay the other night and he has a fan on the right side of the engine. What is this for? Does anyone else have this fan? I believe his car is a 91. I've also attached pics of my engine bay.

Attachments

• fan 1.jpg
    fan 1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 85
  • fan 2.jpg
    fan 2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 78
  • my car 001.jpg
    my car 001.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 77
  • my car 002.jpg
    my car 002.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Don't know, I owned a 95 and currently on an 03, both of them don't have that feature. I do know they had it between 1991 to 1994.

NSXB said:
I took a pic of Rob's (RON98) engine bay the other night and he has a fan on the right side of the engine. What is this for? Does anyone else have this fan? I believe his car is a 91. I've also attached pics of my engine bay.
Yeah, Gene. I remember the guy that came up to my car at the Valencia meet and asked, "Where's your fan?" Since then, as Vance pointed out, I've only noticed it on pre-95 cars. The only thing I can think of is to blow air into the engine compartment... maybe to reduce heat build-up. Perhaps they realized that they didn't need it. I wonder... is it thermostatically controlled?

Is only present on early cars.
Did only run in severe overheating conditions.

Do a little searching on forum, has been discussed a few times in the past, might find additional info.

Mich

That's the factory installed blower. Only us early NSX owners have it. :biggrin:

NSXGMS said:
It can be found on any NA1 NSX (91-96) and according to every NSX tech I've ever spoken to it's pretty useless.

The cars that don't have it simply have a gaping hole leading to the intake scoop on the right side of the car. If you don't have the fan and drive a lot in the rain your engine bay will get dirty in a hurry. Plus you run the risk of having small furry creatures sucked in then cooked which could come in handy for a quick roadside meal on a long trip. :smile:

Hugh said:
The cars that don't have it simply have a gaping hole leading to the intake scoop on the right side of the car. If you don't have the fan and drive a lot in the rain your engine bay will get dirty in a hurry. Plus you run the risk of having small furry creatures sucked in then cooked which could come in handy for a quick roadside meal on a long trip. :smile:

I've found the engine bay temperature broils the creatures particularly well. Takes a couple days but comes out very tender. :smile:

Back