• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine compartment cleaning

Anyone have any suggestions for what to use to clean the engine bay in the nsx? Also is there anything I should cover or make sure does not to get wet in the engine bay or the front compartment with the radiator and spare tire?
Thanks alot! :cool:

I use Simple Green, a small brush, a hand towel and a gentle trickle of water from the garden hose - not the high pressure car wash type. Other than avoiding water into the alternator, fuse boxes, electric pin connectors and the AC blower motor, I spray SG / water everywhere.....no problems to report.

It's been a while since I've used GUNK engine de-greaser, but I believe the instructions say to cover any inlet ports with foil. It's mostly just common-sense stuff. Anything that CAN let water in should be covered up(brake/clutch reservoirs, air fliter ducts...etc.).

Wheel cleaner also works really well for light to moderate engine cleaning. P21S is pretty gentle, so you don't have to worry about acids breaking down your rubber hoses and such.

For any of the acidic cleaners, be sure to rinse your engine bay well.

I've used simple green also and it works really well. Followed with some Armour All foam tire dressing makes everything shiny and looking new!

I know there's a write up in the FAQ on this so be sure to check it out.

Honda Spray polish wiped with a soft cotton cloth works for me.

Veleno said:
I've used simple green also and it works really well. Followed with some Armour All foam tire dressing makes everything shiny and looking new!

I know there's a write up in the FAQ on this so be sure to check it out.

This way works great.

Chopsjazz,
Pig Spit? Very interesting. Going to have to ask the Harley riders about that stuff. But if it works then “Pig Spit” it is! Funny name…
:D

Totally makes sense...what else would you clean your "hog" with but "pig spit" ???

Good advice to use Simple Green, a brush and water rinse followed by some kind of spray vinyl or rubber protectant. For cleaning I've also had good results with the newer Orange/Citrus based cleaners.

engine bay clean

griot's garage makes an engine cleaner that is excellent. Spray it on and gently hose it off. Cover the altenator and any electronics.
good luck

I use the products for cleaning tires, the no wipe type like tire wet or no touch. The only problem that if you drive your car alot dust builds up on the engine compartment. You just spray it on and the dirt and grime drops to the floor. Use newspaper under the car as the dirt will melt off the engine. I have used it for years with no ill effects. It will not stain any painted engine parts.

I thought using armor all after cleaning the engine bay area would cause the rubber hoses to eventually crack. I was told to never use armor all ever on anything.

Tan

I would never use Armour All on anything. It leaves a film and does dry out rubber parts.

The best thing - and the simplest thing - I've ever seen used on the engine bay is S100 Total Cycle Cleaner. You can get it at most motorcycle shops. Just spray it on, little water to rinse it off, and everything looks like new. Try it. The Harley crowd here swears by it.:cool

If you have access to a pressure washer, I'd recommend spraying the engine down liberally with 'all purpose' cleaner, wait about a minute, and spray off. This is a great way to clean tires/wheels without ever touching them.

You'd be surprised the brown grime that comes off of a perfectly clean looking sidewall.

(note: careful on how high the pressure is. Don't want to remove any paint. generally the ones at the coin operated car washes are good for this.)

Yellow Rose said:
Other than avoiding water into the alternator, fuse boxes, electric pin connectors and the AC blower motor, I spray SG / water everywhere.....no problems to report.

can someone use this picture and pin point where all the above mentioned are located? I want to make sure i'm not missing out anything. Thanks

clean_engine.jpg

unit-x said:
can someone use this picture and pin point where all the above mentioned are located? I want to make sure i'm not missing out anything. Thanks

clean_engine.jpg
fuse box & alternator are pretty obvious...
yellow rose may have typo'd the "ac blower" part, as he had an FI setup...a/s key proximity? may be wrong??
that engine looks perty:redface:

lol "milkjug"

I think "AC blower motor" refers to the that black snail-looking thing under the front hood (the 1st green arrow from the right). ;)

Attachments

• nsx-hood-no-water.jpg
    nsx-hood-no-water.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 209
clean_engine.jpg

Was going to clean the engine bay today but it was raining. Just wondering, since the engine bay is pretty filthy in my car, I really want to hose down the whole thing. I noticed there are some electrical wires sticking out from the bottom left side of the engine bay. I guess I could wrap those in foil. But how about the paper to the upper right of the engine bay? Does that thing turn yellow over time because it gets wet or damaged from the water at all? Should I avoid water contact on it and just wipe it with a damp towel?

The engine is impervious to water, I would just avoid spraying directly into the alternator and the fuse holder and coil pack covers. A degreaser and some water should remove all the road grime as well as using soft brushes to get into the tight places. I spray the engine bay with tire dressing after dry.

Armando

Back