• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

engine light came on

So weird. Drove around last night in the NSX and all of a sudden the engine light came on. So was so careful driving home at low speeds etc. I am due for an oil; change is that the reason my engine light came on? The previous owner had all the sensors replaced ( o2 etc.) but then I checked my oil and it was lower than normal but found no leakes or anything in the garage? I am taking my baby in tomorrow morning but what could it be?
Thanks

Your overdue oil change will not turn on your Check Engine Lamp....If your car is OBD2 (1995 and newer) there are about 200 codes that can be set..

It's like a slot mechine! pull the code and see what you get?:smile:

yea it's a 1995 red/blk
My 2nd NSX :) Love these things
Just that I told my wife that this thing is a reliable car.... she was with me when the light came on... the she said quote " I thought this thing was reliable" She was just giving me a hard time and told me just to take it in tomorrow at Goodson Acura/ TX... And will get my baby fixed and will change her oil.
Next big project is Timing Belt etc. in March :-( Was lied to when I bought the car. Original owner said it had been done. Guess I was too much in awe over the car to really do some research. Goodson Acura had said it still has the original Belt etc. on it :-( Oh well atleast it is a valuable piece of mind knowing I had it done...
Thanks for all the info guys on my little problem.
Enjoy your Sunday!

I was driving mine home to California from Texas (Goodson Acura did its service actually, say hi to Susan for me!), and had to fill up on 91 gas at a place where there were no 'name brand' gas stations. About 2 hours later, the engine light came on. I looked into it and ran a couple tanks of known quality gas, and the light went out on its own. I concluded that the guys out in the middle of nowhere were dumping low quality gas in their premium tanks. Hasn't come back on in 10k miles.

Kenny York said:
Next big project is Timing Belt etc. in March :-( Was lied to when I bought the car. Original owner said it had been done. Guess I was too much in awe over the car to really do some research. Goodson Acura had said it still has the original Belt etc. on it :-( Oh well atleast it is a valuable piece of mind knowing I had it done...
I would get t/b done immediately!!:eek:
I don't quite understand what you are saying though. You state that you were lied to and it has the ORIGINAL belt on there, which is now ~11yrs old.:eek: Then the next sentence say that knowing it is a valuable peace of mind knowing that it had been done?!?!?:confused: What gives?

When I bought he car a couple months back from an individual everything checked out ( receipts etc) when I bought the car. Until I got my rear brake pads done the guys at Goodson ( last month)said that the timing belt is still original. Meaning that when I had purchased the car the guy had said he had all the receipts ( new clutch, maintenance etc.) When he posted it on Prime he had said timing belt etc, has been changed) but he had lied :-( The car is in beautiful shape in and out but I will have to wait till next month to spend 2k on service/parts. He had a receipt of the timing belt but no labor??? So that is why I was confused. Anyway the guys at Acura still say the belt looks good but to get it replaced soon since it is the original.
Driving a TL right now and it is pretty cool. Car is in the shop and getting worked on :)

Kenny York said:
said that the timing belt is still original. When he posted it on Prime he had said timing belt etc, has been changed) but he had lied :-( The car is in beautiful shape in and out but I will have to wait till next month to spend 2k on service/parts. He had a receipt of the timing belt but no labor??? So that is why I was confused. Anyway the guys at Acura still say the belt looks good but to get it replaced soon since it is the original.

How do they know it is the original? To my knowledge you just can't look at it and tell if it is or not.
Also, just because it looks good doesn't mean anything. If it breaks and causes more engine damage are they going to pay for it, since it 'looked good'?:confused:

Get the code reading from a mechanic who has a scanning tool for OBD 1 and OBD 2 models.

Danny RED SR 71:smile: :biggrin: :wink:

Well the problem was the Cats and the O2 Sensor. They said since I don't do any long drives on the car that it built up crud in the Cats and the sensor. basically I need to drive the car for the Cats to get hot enough :)
then they said it was going to be $1550 for the cats and another HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR THE SENSOR + labor.!!!
Good news is it is all covered by Honda Emissions Warranty :)
150k mile or 15 yrs
so all i had pay for was the oil change $13
I love Honda!!!!!

Back