• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Entry level automatic wrist watch Omega/Tag Huera/Rolex

Best entry level automatic watch of these 3 choices

• Total voters
What would you consider as the best buy for entry level automatic watch from the 3 choices below:

Tag Heuer Carrera
movadobaby_1898_3330455

Omega Speedmaster Day-Date
movadobaby_1898_53957061

Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date
ba_1.JPG

Last edited:
I'll be dead honest, before I voted I looked at the pics, not knowing anything about the watches...

and i swear i didnt even realize the pearl one was a rolex, and wow ..Daddy likes she's perdy...lol

The Omega is pretty nice. However, the Rolex has a very clean look to it. I've never been a big fan of Rolex models with the date though. I got an Air King as a gift and really like that to some of their other offerings, particularly as an entry level automatic.

Check out Breitling too if you haven't already. IMO they have some of the finest looking watches out there right now. I just picked up a Chronomat Evolution MOP and love it. Their entire line has the best visual appeal of them all right now as a whole. You really can't make a wrong choice though. They're all good and it comes down to which one moves you the most. Get what you feel passionately for and then you'll be happy. :smile:

EDIT: Dang, slow typing tonight and got beat out on the Breitling suggestion. Which Breitling do you have SIN?

NSXSUPRA,

I'm somewhat of a small time watch collector and I seem to always lean toward Rolexes, I've lost count, but I've probably been thru about 8. I currently wear a GMT Master II and love it. I also like Omegas and recently sold a "James Bond" Seamaster and Omega Schumacher Speedmaster. I'd say, the Omegas are the best bang for the buck as far as quality, construction, materials, resale. I don't care much for TAGS as most of their line is quartz and they just have little pedigree as far history, longevity, collectibility, resale, etc. If you are interested in the Rolex Datejust, I have one for sale in mint condition just like the one pictured w/ the smooth bezel and Oyster band in stainless. The dial is also the very rare, deep blue "anniversary" dial w/ the Rolex logo embossed all across the dial. I can email you pics, asking $2,400.

I sold my used Rolex Oyster Date-Just similiar to the picture above for about 2300 to a friend. I enjoyed wearing it...and I noticed that the "expert" can tell from a fake vs. real one miles away. A lot of people recognizes Rolex by the bubble date. The only drawback in that style is that you have to adjust the date manually at the beginning of each month. You'll also need to get one of those automatic shaker for the watch when you don't wear them to keep the time moving....

You just can't go wrong wearing a Rolex brand watch.

Make sure you get all legitimate paperwork on the Rolex. You should get offiicial certificate with your name and ID # to that watch during your purchase.

I own three Tag Heuer's, and would lean in that direction given the choices in your poll; this said I recently (6 months) picked up a Formex SC800 Tacho Chrono for my daily-wear watch, if you're shopping in the $800-$1k range for a quality watch this is a solid-looking piece that has been good to me so far... I opted for a quartz movement, as I purchased it for a daily wear, but it is also available with a swiss ETA movement.

mod_8001_3311_stahl.jpg

Get what you like....

I own one of the top watches rolex makes...an 18k rolex presidential with diamond bezel...and to be honest with you, it just sits in the box...I hardly ever wear it.

I wear a simple movado vizio.. Like the other poster used cars as comparison...i would compare the movado to an nsx..its sporty and slim

The rolex is like a rolls royce....*NAME* ...a classic

The breitling is also a classic, but more flashy, so i would say its more like a bentley. Breitling is one of my favorite watches (looks).

If your looking for an investment..i would suggest a patek philippe. My cousin wholesales high end watches mostly rolex, patek philippe, cartier. ..and even though rolex are his most popular sales.... he calls me from time to time to tell me how one patek philippe he sold a while back is now a collectible. He just bought a patek philippe few weeks ago for around $17k, and the factory announced they would not be producing this specific model anymore, and the price of that watch just doubled to $30k!

Infact one of the most expensive watch sold was a patek philippe for $11 million !!!!!

But as i mentioned in my first statement..get what YOU like...

Where can I get a patek philippe for 18K now? hhehehe.

The wife spends $$$ on purses and shoes, while the watch should be considered as the men's fashion toy :)

ghost said:
Get what you like....

I own one of the top watches rolex makes...an 18k rolex presidential with diamond bezel...and to be honest with you, it just sits in the box...I hardly ever wear it.

I wear a simple movado vizio.. Like the other poster used cars as comparison...i would compare the movado to an nsx..its sporty and slim

The rolex is like a rolls royce....*NAME* ...a classic

The breitling is also a classic, but more flashy, so i would say its more like a bentley. Breitling is one of my favorite watches (looks).

If your looking for an investment..i would suggest a patek philippe. My cousin wholesales high end watches mostly rolex, patek philippe, cartier. ..and even though rolex are his most popular sales.... he calls me from time to time to tell me how one patek philippe he sold a while back is now a collectible. He just bought a patek philippe few weeks ago for around $17k, and the factory announced they would not be producing this specific model anymore, and the price of that watch just doubled to $30k!

Infact one of the most expensive watch sold was a patek philippe for $11 million !!!!!

But as i mentioned in my first statement..get what YOU like...

Actually I was going for the Omega SeaMaster but couldn't spend too much on the watch. I end up with Tag Heuer Formula 1 Professional. From what I've read almost every part of the watch came from the material they use to make the Formula 1 car. I'm happy but is not yet satisfied until I got one of the SeaMasters.:biggrin:

I like Breitlings as well. I also like the LV watches that have come out recently, maybe it's the nice colors :)

I have a Bvlgari and Rolex for sale, both new and never used. PM me if you're interested.

Re: Entry level automatic wrist watch Omega/Tag Heuer/Rolex

Thanks for all the replies, as the title suggested, I am only looking for a entry level automatic watch. Functional, classy, looking good without giving the impression of trying too hard.

The 3 choices on this thread is what I had narrowed down and I have found as best bang for the buck within the price range I am willing to pay. I will not settle for other color combinations, the Carrera, and Speedmaster both cost around $2000, the Oyster Perpetual Date in $3200~$3500 range.

I have always wanted the Rolex Perpetual Date in black dial and a decent automatic chorograph watch. The decision would be easy if I can buy 2 out of the 3 watches instead of just 1.

I had also considered Cartier Pasha C (a little too feminine), IWC (expensive), Oris William F1 automatic (most affordable of all the choices, stealthy looking, but not as well known), Cartier Roadster (same price as CTSC), Breitling Navitimer Heritage (pricy). All in black dial only.

movadobaby_1900_77437454

Last edited:
Have you considered IWC ? www.iwc.ch These are my thoughts:

TAG, mostly quartz and it tends to have a younger demographics and not really good re-sale value. great beater watch.

Rolex, one of the most recognized watch brand, great marketing and great re-sale value. It hold its value because Rolex forces its dealers not to discount too. Generally on its steel watches you got a good discount if you get 10-15% off list.

Omega, best value for a watch, it tends to be a very heavy watch. 30-35% off from a dealer. I think its a great beginner watch.

IWC, a good value as well. Very clean simple functional watch. well respected brand among watch fans. you get them 30-35% off from a dealer.
if you had to get one watch , get one of these, though you might get bored with its very simple design.

I am a watch freak, I own Breitling Blackbird, IWC GST Chrono automatic titanium, IWC Aquatimer titanium, IWC fleiger chrono, Omega Seamaster "James Bond" , Omega Split Seconds Chrono in carbon fiber, Rolex oyster date, Rolex Date just two tone, Omega Seamaster Chrono,

good luck, norman

I like the Tag the most, but none of those would be my choice. I am very fond of Movado, and wear a SE w/ a blue dial. If I were to buy a Tag, it would be a used Senna edition, which run in the 2k price range...

as01watch.jpg

as02watch.jpg

as03watch.jpg

as04watch.jpg

nsxsupra,

$3200~$3500 that's about the price I paid for mine. After several years of owning the Rolex, my friend said that he can get 25% on the Rolex because his good friend that managed a restaurant in the same complex with the jewelry store. Ask around...maybe you can get a discount. A 25% discount would be nice.

Also, find a license Rolex store from an asian jewelry place and ask for a deal such like no sales tax if you pay cash.

PS...that ORIS watch is nice...i like it! That wrist band seems more sporty for everyday use. However, the Rolex is more professional for dressing up with slack/button shirt, wedding, evening dinner with wife, etc.

Good luck.

I have a Tudor, it is the budget version of the Rolex, from what I know it has Rolex internals and even a Rolex strap, just says Tudor on the face ??

The advantage I found was for the money of the Rolex you got everything the Rolex offered including pepetual winder but got Day and Date functionality, also I didn't pay for it myself, which was even more of a bonus.

However I still find it a little heavy to wear so opt for a Rado most of the time.

|Adeel said:
What pricelevels are entrylevel Breitlings?

Breitling has a good selection of watches that are in the $2,000-$2,800 range retail depending on the style, dial, band configuration. Some examples of these entry level automatic watches are from the Aeromarine line: Superocean (beginning at $2,045), Colt GMT (starts at $2,040), Colt Automatic ($1,925). You can check out websites like www.authenticwatches.com for most of the styles available with retail prices of them too, in addition to the breitling website as previously mentioned. From my experience Breitling also likes to be as protective as possible with their pricing structure, but not to the degree of Rolex.

look at this site for watches timezone.com but be careful about sales corner (that area is for selling watches, use your ebay shopping skills) . that is how I got hooked on watches like I got hooked on a NSX :wink:

I think this is NSX equivelent in mechanical chronograph watches. Zenith is a prestegious watch house/brand in Europe and El Primero is their in-house COSC chronograph movement. It was world's first thin, automatic, 31 jewels, high beat (36000 bps) movement , capable of measuring short time intervals to a tenth of a second. These chronograph watches are unlike heavy, big burly models most everyone is offering now-a-days. I had my Class chrono for a year and it was accurate to +/- 2 seconds a day. Unfortunately, I sold it and the price since has doubled. However, I'd like to buy this discontinued model (http://cgi.ebay.com/ZENITH-RAINBOW-...942349855QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) some day. My cousin just bought a white gold Chronomaster and it is simpy awesome. Check http://www.zenith-watches.ch for more details.

Understudy said:
Breitling has a good selection of watches that are in the $2,000-$2,800 range retail depending on the style, dial, band configuration. Some examples of these entry level automatic watches are from the Aeromarine line: Superocean (beginning at $2,045), Colt GMT (starts at $2,040), Colt Automatic ($1,925). You can check out websites like www.authenticwatches.com for most of the styles available with retail prices of them too, in addition to the breitling website as previously mentioned. From my experience Breitling also likes to be as protective as possible with their pricing structure, but not to the degree of Rolex.

Thank you.

I recently picked up one of these babies on eBay. Destined to be a collector's item since Honda now owns 100% of the F1 team and it's a beautiful watch to boot. And dare I say, it's more accurate and better made than a Rolex or Tag...

Most of the sellers are in the far east but make sure you buy from one with high feedback and you'll be fine. You can the listings here.

59608598.jpg

From my personal experience, I wouldn't spend too much money on high end watches. They all ultimately will tell the same time. I have the following:

My wife and I purchased matching Cartiers in St. Lucia and her's quit before we left that day. We replaced it before leaving and it quit again about 2 years and a day after we purchased it( you guessed it - a 2 year warranty). We sent it to Cartier and they were going to charge me $500 to fix it until l unloaded on them. They ended up fixing it for $95 (the cost of a battery replacement!). The Tag that my wife purchased for me at Christmas last year I wear every day but the Cartier doesn't get worn too often. The red F1 Tag is a great looking watch that you can pick up for less than $600. I wear it everyday. In hindsight, I wouldn't spend over $600 - $700 for a watch but my oldest son will like the Cartier when I croak.

Attachments

• B000E4C8FC.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    B000E4C8FC.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 248
  • movadobaby_1898_29365208.jpg
    movadobaby_1898_29365208.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 213
Back