• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Entry level automatic wrist watch Omega/Tag Huera/Rolex

Best entry level automatic watch of these 3 choices

• Total voters
Rado? Raymond Weil? Chuck E. Cheese?

Ok Len, what I was waiting for... for battery-replacement/etc' you send to TAG? Mine's been sans' functional battery all winter, as I wasn't quite sure to just go local or go w/ the manufacturer. I'm an avid open-water diver, so gasket/patency actually mattes... (fingers crossed it's just the battery) :frown:

len3.8 said:
I am a big fan of Tags and Old Heuers.
You'll end up with something nice either way you go.

I like Old Heuers and can also go both ways.

Patrick

Re: Rado? Raymond Weil? Chuck E. Cheese?

Osiris_x11 said:
Ok Len, what I was waiting for... for battery-replacement/etc' you send to TAG? Mine's been sans' functional battery all winter, as I wasn't quite sure to just go local or go w/ the manufacturer. I'm an avid open-water diver, so gasket/patency actually mattes... (fingers crossed it's just the battery) :frown:

OOO take it to a competent dealer, most likely they will send it off to TAG, I would just contact TAG and set it up myself, save the $$$s that the dealer will add.

You definitely want the gaskets changed and reinstalled correctly, if it is indeed that time. If they open for the battery, chances are they will want to change the gasket. YMMV.:smile:

I only briefly browsed the thread, so apologies if it's already been mentioned.

Despite TAG's reputation as being a "2nd tier" brand, NSX and sports car enthusiasts can usually appreciate TAG's involvement in F1 and Motorsports. They actually came out with a limited edition Ayrton Senna commemorative edition in 2004, which was a nice tribute. (It's actually pictured in one of the posts above)

That said, in addition to TAG, check out Breitling, IWC, and AP, to echo a few of the previous recommendations, although with the exception of TAG, all of those are far above entry level.

After I starting this thread, I have visited Hing Wa Lee (does not carry Tag Heuer), Ben Bridge, duty free at LAX trying out some of these watches, picked several watch magazines at Kinokuniya, and many hours browsing the TimeZone forums (Great forum for watches, tons of great atricles, hardcore watch collectors for every major brand, faq on movement, calibre, technical terms, similar to nsxprime for NSXes).

Initially I only wanted one entry level automatic mechanical watch to replace my 5 year old Tag Link Professional. I will definitely end up with 2. I did picked up one of the 3 on the poll, and will add one additional mid level Rolex soon. I can stare at the mechanical movements for hours, very happy so far.

On the side note, I did sold my 5years old Beater Tag Link Professional off ebay, and shockingly got nearly what I paid back, and the buyer paid immediately. That was really odd. This model is discountined with color Tag logo instead of the B/W on the newer models.

Retail price for these 3 watches on the poll:
Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono tachymetre $2450
Omega Speedmaster Date $2200
Rolex Oyster Pertetural Date $3675

Tag and Omega can be had for 30% off retail and 20% off retail for Rolex at authorized jewelers if paying via cash or online. Rolex is definitely siginficantly cheaper at authorized shops in Japan 10~20% less than the price at the State, probably because they consume more Rolex than rest of the world combined.

I also check several Breitling models. Awesome watch with top notch built quality. Very pricy, $4k+ for the models that offer the look I liked.

The decision was down to Tag Carrera Tachymetre vs Omega Speedmaster for the entry level automatic mechanical watch in $2k range. Omega Speedmaster date wins in built quality and function. The Tag Carrera Chrono wins hands down aesthetic department, with reliable Calibre 16 movement, aka Valjoux 7750 Engine, same engine in Speedmaster Date and also used in some Breitling, IWC chronographs.

I have been looking at getting a Tag or equivalent watch too.

Its just that I don't know anything AT ALL about watches. So, its really hard for me to understand what is so special about the IWC $12k watch Vs. the IWC $2k watch. Is the TAG that much better than the "utilitarian" Seiko's or equivalent watches.

I need a durable watch as I tend to be quite rough on my electonic toys. I would hate to buy a $3k watch just to get it all "scratched up" in a month or two. What would you guys recommed. What is the equivalent of Acura(good blend of value, luxury and quality) in the watch arena?

sorry to jump in on your thread nsxsupra:tongue:

nsxsupra said:
Tag and Omega can be had for 30% off retail and 20% off retail for Rolex at authorized jewelers if paying via cash or online. Rolex is definitely siginficantly cheaper at authorized shops in Japan 10~20% less than the price at the State, probably because they consume more Rolex than rest of the world combined.

I also check several Breitling models. Awesome watch with top notch built quality. Very pricy, $4k+ for the models that offer the look I liked.

The decision was down to Tag Carrera Tachymetre vs Omega Speedmaster for the entry level automatic mechanical watch in $2k range. Omega Speedmaster date wins in built quality and function. The Tag Carrera Chrono wins hands down aesthetic department, with reliable Calibre 16 movement, aka Valjoux 7750 Engine, same engine in Speedmaster Date and also used in some Breitling, IWC chronographs.

I seem to remember you posting about visiting Taiwan frequently in another thread. In my experience, list prices for watches are cheaper in Taiwan, and there is much more room for negotiation. If you're going to be in Taipei anytime soon, I can recommend the authorized dealer that I go to. It's not uncommon to get 25-30% (or sometimes more) off of the Taiwan list price (which is already lower than the US list price). A big point of savings too, is that there's no sales tax as well, which is significant on such a high dollar value item. As an example, I've bought a couple Breitling Chronomats from them for about $2100, which list for around $4000+tax in the US (with very little room for negotiation).

NSXLuvr said:

Its just that I don't know anything AT ALL about watches. So, its really hard for me to understand what is so special about the IWC $12k watch Vs. the IWC $2k watch. Is the TAG that much better than the "utilitarian" Seiko's or equivalent watches.

I need a durable watch as I tend to be quite rough on my electonic toys. I would hate to buy a $3k watch just to get it all "scratched up" in a month or two. What would you guys recommed. What is the equivalent of Acura(good blend of value, luxury and quality) in the watch arena?

A lot of the difference between the cheaper and more expensive models in one maker's line has to do with the level of complication in the movement (features), and the materials used in the case/band/bracelet.

For the mechanical TAG vs. a mechanical Seiko, the difference is you are getting a swiss movement.

My picks for an "Acura" equivalent watch might be a Breitling or something of that level. TAG is not quite to that level, but I like them because of their history with F1 and motorsports in general.

This is my first automatic:

wMTI2MzYwNDZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

NSXLuvr said:

I recommend you spend sometime at Timezone.com and browse the forum and read the FAQ. Warning!! don't blame me if you get into a new addiction.:tongue:

An expensive watch is no better than a lesser expensive watch as far as functions and keeping time. In fact some of the best performing watches cost less than $500, including some that keep time +/- 1 sec within 1 million years!!!. In fact most quartz movements performs way better than mechanical movements. Durability wise ,no comparison you get what you paid for. One big plus with utilitarian watches is that you can throw them away when they go bad. I can't even count how many utilitarian watches I have gone through before my first decent watch.

Similar comparison I can think of is F430 vs C6 Z06. One looks better and is a mechanical art while the other has all the raw performance. Its all relative.

My first decent watch was the Tag Link Professional, had it for 5 years, wore it each and everyday, it has been through anything you can imagine, no problem, not a single scratch on the lens. And I got almost all my money back when I sold it. This is what it looks like 5 year later, looks tough, doesn't it? I am sure the new owner will enjoy it for years to come. Decent watches retain a certain % of value when you sell and upgrade to a new one. If you buy used with all original paper work, box and at decent price, you will likely to get near if not 100% of your money back when you sell.

People in Timezone refer Rolex as Mercedes/BMW (from base model to AMG55/63 or M5/M3/M6). I think Breitling is Porsche level. Omega is Lexus, Tag and Grand Seiko (highend Seiko) is Acura/Infiniti. Then there are base model to higher level models.

Last edited:
time is money...

nsxsupra said:
People in Timezone refer Rolex as Mercedes/BMW (from base model to AMG55/63 or M5/M3/M6). I think Breitling is Porsche level. Omega is Lexus, Tag and Grand Seiko (highend Seiko) is Acura/Infiniti. Then there are base model to higher level models.

Interesting corelations! I wonder what would be an Audi, Jaguar, Lotus, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley (sorry Breitling, lol), Rolls Royce, Maybach, and Yugo? :tongue:

I'm due for a watch somewhat in the near future, actually. I might have to PM some of you fat`cats for some advice or where/how, etc'! I'd be beyond words if I can grab a pre-owned Royal Oak for a pittance... :cool:

Re: time is money...

Osiris_x11 said:
I wonder what would be an Audi, Jaguar, Lotus, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley (sorry Breitling, lol), Rolls Royce, Maybach, and Yugo? :tongue:
Franck Muller, Patek Phillippe, etc, too many. It is too inaccurate too compare it to car brands, as every brand have variety of of different watches from base model to upper level model, the price vary by a lot.

Osiris_x11 said:
I'm due for a watch somewhat in the near future, actually. I might have to PM some of you fat`cats for some advice or where/how, etc'! I'd be beyond words if I can grab a pre-owned Royal Oak for a pittance... :cool:

http://www.luxurybazaar.com/
Price: $27,895:eek:, that is too extreme

Osiris_x11 said:
Bentley (sorry Breitling, lol)
haha, nice http://www.breitlingforbentley.com/en/
Tag Heuer (Mercedes Benz McLaren SLR):biggrin:
heur1.JPG

Another version of SLR:
tagheuerslr2.jpg

tagheuerslr.jpg

tagheuerslr1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: time is money...

nsxsupra said:
Tag Heuer (Mercedes Benz McLaren SLR):biggrin:

Very interesting.....I know IWC has an AMG version of their Ingenieur series too.

the results of this poll are very conclusive.:tongue:

BTW, go for the Breitling.....TAG has gone downhill in the last few years.

Hugh said:
I recently picked up one of these babies on eBay. Destined to be a collector's item since Honda now owns 100% of the F1 team and it's a beautiful watch to boot. And dare I say, it's more accurate and better made than a Rolex or Tag...

Most of the sellers are in the far east but make sure you buy from one with high feedback and you'll be fine. You can the listings here.

59608598.jpg

The new 2006 Honda Racing F1 Seiko just came out. I think the new one looks even better than the 2005 BAR-Honda version:

SeikoSporturaSNA749HF1.jpg

http://www.seiko.co.jp/mainsection.html?page_is=newsrelease&id=453&lang_is=en
http://www.seiko.co.jp/mainsection.html?page_is=newsrelease&id=449&lang_is=en

Does Honda have watches too? Not BAR Honda, but just the new Honda only F1 team? That would be interesting.

I don't like any of the mendtioned automatics.

I'm highly pleased with my IWC mark XV. Plain, simple.
Sorry, mobile phone pic I'm at work right now.
juli-84d83bb89d.jpg

I'm a watch junkie myself, I have several mechanical automatics as well as skeletonized manual mechanical watches. But I must say that my collection in total costs less than some of the watches mentioned here.

watches.JPG

I like to say I'm more a collector of non-traditional looking watches and am not very interested in the "brand name" or "logo". If I like how it looks, I buy it. Funny enough it's not necessarily my most expensive ones that generate the most positive remarks and interest. There are two watches in particular that I will get 2-3 positive remarks every day that I wear them and they cost less than $300 each.

|Adeel said:
Does Honda have watches too? Not BAR Honda, but just the new Honda only F1 team? That would be interesting.

Yes, I just posted it before your post above! No such team as BAR-Honda anymore, just Honda Racing F1 and the new 2006 Honda F1 Seiko watch is out.

Motegi said:
I'm a watch junkie myself, I have several mechanical automatics as well as skeletonized manual mechanical watches. But I must say that my collection in total costs less than some of the watches mentioned here.

watches.JPG

I like to say I'm more a collector of non-traditional looking watches and am not very interested in the "brand name" or "logo". If I like how it looks, I buy it. Funny enough it's not necessarily my most expensive ones that generate the most positive remarks and interest. There are two watches in particular that I will get 2-3 positive remarks every day that I wear them and they cost less than $300 each.

Motegi,

What watch is the one on the left box. Middle row, second from the left?

Honda F1 Racing said:
Yes, I just posted it before your post above! No such team as BAR-Honda anymore, just Honda Racing F1 and the new 2006 Honda F1 Seiko watch is out.

Hey... I didn't see this until now, sorry :redface: Where do I buy it? :D

Edit; Never mind, found it on Ebay at a great price :) My birthday is in October :D;)

Last edited:
Back