• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Entry level automatic wrist watch Omega/Tag Huera/Rolex

Best entry level automatic watch of these 3 choices

• Total voters
I have a Movado. I really like the Tag Kirium F1. I saw it in the carribean and really loved it. They said I should buy it there because it was about 30% cheaper than in the US. Me, who never shopped watches before, had no idea if that was true or not. Turns out it is. The watch was like $1995 here in the states. It was like $1200 there. Sams club now had it for $1138.

I also really like the Breitling Aerospace. I was going to get that instead of the F1, but at the time I didn't know how much my NSX repairs were going to be and I was afraid to spend that money.

Anyway, I am very happy with the movado, but I still hope to get something more high-end one day.

ghost said:
The rolex is like a rolls royce....*NAME* ...a classic

The breitling is also a classic, but more flashy, so i would say its more like a bentley. Breitling is one of my favorite watches (looks).

If your looking for an investment..i would suggest a patek philippe.

So Ghost, what car would a Patek Philippe? :biggrin:

Patek Philippe has always been my watch of choice.

I just went looking at Breitlings the other day. Take a look at the Chrono Superocean. It's @ $3500 and very nice looking. I agree with an earlier poster, a Breitling is kind of like the NSX. People that pay attention to class know what it is. Everyone else will just think it's a Rolex:biggrin:

Wifey says if I remain a good boy I get it at the end of the year for a 30th birthday present... yay!

Understudy said:
Breitling has a good selection of watches that are in the $2,000-$2,800 range retail depending on the style, dial, band configuration. Some examples of these entry level automatic watches are from the Aeromarine line: Superocean (beginning at $2,045), Colt GMT (starts at $2,040), Colt Automatic ($1,925). You can check out websites like www.authenticwatches.com for most of the styles available with retail prices of them too, in addition to the breitling website as previously mentioned. From my experience Breitling also likes to be as protective as possible with their pricing structure, but not to the degree of Rolex.

I also collect watches, and one of my favorite everyday watches is the Breitling Superocean. I have the same one as in this picture with the Blue face.

jomashop_1900_49437959

There's also the NOA. I used to know the person who manufacturer's this watch. I saw them before their public release and I was going to get one. Unfortunately, after my divorce, I lost the contact within the company. :frown:

223-12065s.jpg

I have a Breitling & a Rolex (Got both while overseas in the Army at great prices), but my favorite is my Doxa T-Graph.

I dive, and while their are more expensive watches around, the Doxa is the most solid Diver on the market IMHO. With the limited and numbered runs, the retain their value as well. I have #77 of 250, so I won't be seeing one on the wrist of every guy who has a credit card either.

RyRy210 said:
So Ghost, what car would a Patek Philippe? :biggrin:

Patek Philippe has always been my watch of choice.

Tough question... lol

i would say a classic bugatti (say 1931 bugatti royale type 41) or classic ferrari (say 1962 ferrari 250 GTO). :biggrin:

NRG, as i mentioned in my previous post, my cousin wholesales high end watches, most are in like new condition, some are brand new...mostly rolex, patek philippe, breitling , cartier, etc..He can get these watches at unbelievable prices, through his various connections.. Tell your wife " hey sweetie, your expensive shoes and purses are a depreciating asset, :) while a patek philippe is an "'investment"... say it is nicely to her :wink: or you will be "investing" some time sleeping on the couch. :biggrin:

I think the price of an entry level Breitlings is in the ballpark of $3500 in the states Give or take on the store. I paid 3800 in Jamaica in the states it was over 5k gotta love no duty fee's :biggrin: :biggrin:

SINCITY_NSX said:
I think the price of an entry level Breitlings is in the ballpark of $3500 in the states Give or take on the store. I paid 3800 in Jamaica in the states it was over 5k gotta love no duty fee's :biggrin: :biggrin:

Actually there are quite a few Breitling automatics that are in the $2,000 - $2,800 range too at a retail price (mostly in the Aeromarine line). I listed a few of them in a post earlier and for example the Superocean that DocL listed a few posts above with the blue dial retails for $2,220. Most of the chronographs start a little bit higher and some of the models can get quite pricey when you add in some gold or even diamonds on the watch too.

Wow! Looks like we have a lot of watch freaks on this forum.
No surprise there, I guess.
As I’m sure you know the Omega and the Tag both use an ETA movement which is common to over 90% of these type of watches.
Rolex make their own movements but IMHO they are a bit over priced for what they are.
Obviously Rolex are a nice watch but (flame suit on) I think that a lot of people buy them because of the name and they have not really bothered to do their homework and figure out that there are many superior watches for the same or a little less money and some very superior watches for just a little more money.
You can do better in terms of the same movement for a lot less money and the same or even better quality if you don’t mind giving up the name brand recognition.
Here are two examples (one similar to your color choice) for under $1200 one with a comparable ETA movement and one based on the same 7751 ETA movement as the Speedmaster.

Regards,

Patrick

Attachments

• augustegalaxyaviatorauto1.jpg
    augustegalaxyaviatorauto1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 137
  • emotion5.jpg
    emotion5.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 148
lutera said:
I think this is NSX equivelent in mechanical chronograph watches. Zenith is a prestegious watch house/brand in Europe and El Primero is their in-house COSC chronograph movement. It was world's first thin, automatic, 31 jewels, high beat (36000 bps) movement , capable of measuring short time intervals to a tenth of a second. These chronograph watches are unlike heavy, big burly models most everyone is offering now-a-days. I had my Class chrono for a year and it was accurate to +/- 2 seconds a day. Unfortunately, I sold it and the price since has doubled. However, I'd like to buy this discontinued model (http://cgi.ebay.com/ZENITH-RAINBOW-...942349855QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) some day. My cousin just bought a white gold Chronomaster and it is simpy awesome. Check http://www.zenith-watches.ch for more details.

Love the El Primero
I checked one out a few months back
It's about a grand or so over his price range even in ss. Is it not?
As I'm sure you know, Zenith used to make movments for Rolex.

Regards,

Patrick

ps I want this but I try not to think about it.

Attachments

• 39-50-02-12-04_low.jpg
    39-50-02-12-04_low.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 147
I love watches.

I'm still young and less mature, and well, less $$$... i don't yet have the desire for these kinds of watches. I used to think they were dumb! haha, now I am interested in watches like this.

I'm still improving my taste level. :D

for now, my young'in butt is in love with this, and I want one

420aa12f84a7d.jpg_0_0_0.jpg

Baume Mercier Capeland
baume_mercier001.jpg

You can also find thi watch at the 2k price range or below, it comes with this face or white, black.
A very nice watch that has been around for awhile.

Concord Impresario, though out of production, there are NOS pieces out there at this price rance.
The much used Zenith El Primero movement inside..
images

The only Movado that I would consider in this sector.
Also has the El Primero movemeny..
MOV180.JPG

If you can find a mint watch that you truly want used, then buy it used. Just make sure it has all documentation.

IWC, my favorite by far can be had for great deals.
http://www.bernardwatch.com/International-Watch-Company

Breightling would be my next choice.
Rolex only for resale...:confused:
PateK, kids college funds, It's been that kind of watch....:smile:
Panerai, If you can find a cheap one, buy it, they are rising like crazy..4 years ago a song, today through the roof in comparison.

If you want a Tag get an older Carrera or Monaco, not the re-release versions of new.

There are some great suggestions mentioned within the posts here... Betcha can't buy just one.:smile:

Here are some listings...
http://www.bernardwatch.com/Rolex
http://www.bernardwatch.com/Omega
http://www.bernardwatch.com/Hublot
http://www.bernardwatch.com/Girard-Perregaux

Up and coming.... Especially the XL chronos, Big is in.
http://www.bernardwatch.com/Revue-Thommen

Just browse through, so many nice watches out there.
The trick is to find one at an incredible price that does everything under the sun, well.
I guess it depends on what you want it for. Function, Looks, reliability, appreciation (All ways), Status (Couldn't care less) Features, uniqueness..

Here is a brand that has been around for awhile.
This is a nicely priced chrono.
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>Zodiac Calame Sport Chronograph: Stainless Steel Head & Bracelet, silver dial, tachymeter, automatic, date @ 12, sapphire crystal, display back, Water Resistant 100m, 40mm, Retail = $1995, Never Worn in Box with Papers + BW Warranty... $580 (ZOD2005BR) </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle> <A href="javascript:void(window.close())">
ZOD2005BRC.JPG
javascript:void(window.close())</TD></TR><TR><TD>Zodiac Calame Sport Chronograph: Stainless Steel Head & Bracelet, silver dial, tachymeter, automatic, date @ 12, sapphire crystal, display back, Water Resistant 100m, 40mm, Retail = $1995, Never Worn in Box with Papers + BW Warranty... $580 (ZOD2005BR) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I am not affiliated with any of the listings above.
'Just happen to own TOO MANY damn watches...:smile:

len3.8 said:
I am not affiliated with any of the listings above.
'Just happen to own TOO MANY damn watches...:smile:

I was wondering when you'd see the thread and respond. :smile: I know Heather was talking to you in chat a few weeks ago about the Breitlings and we ended up getting both. I got the Chronomat Evolution MOP and Heather got the Starliner Two-Tone, Blue MOP. We're loving them! :biggrin:

Understudy said:
I was wondering when you'd see the thread and respond. :smile: I know Heather was talking to you in chat a few weeks ago about the Breitlings and we ended up getting both. I got the Chronomat Evolution MOP and Heather got the Starliner Two-Tone, Blue MOP. We're loving them! :biggrin:

Awesome,,, She said you all were looking.
Your wife sounds like mine... Lucky we are, they let us play with all the toys.:wink:

I don't even own a watch, but I voted anyway.

Looks like the poll won't help -- it's split right along with 1/3 for each.

It was a nice 3 way tie, look like split decision between voters. I am very impressed by all the enthusiam and knowledge. Really turned a boring thread into a entertaining and informative thread.

Does anyone know the name of the famous Asian chain jeweler in Southern Cal? or know any shops that might price match or offer deep discount for cash payment?

This is the very first and only watch I have ever purchased for myself. I purchased this Tag Link professional in around my 21st birthday. I swim, sking, workout, travel with it, after 5 years of abuse, it still looks fine and work perfectly, surprisingly I still have the orignal box, documents, and receipt after all these years. It seriously is time to move on.
tag.jpg

medusa said:
I'm surprised with all these nsx owners no one has even mentioned a pam... :confused:

I did..:wink:
Panerai actually. Not pam the spray.:smile:

nsxsupra said:
It was a nice 3 way tie, look like split decision between voters. I am very impressed by all the enthusiam and knowledge. Really turned a boring thread into a entertaining and informative thread.

Does anyone know the name of the famous Asian chain jeweler in Southern Cal? or know any shops that might price match or offer deep discount for cash payment?

This is the very first and only watch I have ever purchased for myself. I purchased this Tag Link professional in around my 21st birthday. I swim, sking, workout, travel with it, after 5 years of abuse, it still looks fine and work perfectly, surprisingly I still have the orignal box, documents, and receipt after all these years. It seriously is time to move on.
tag.jpg

I wear my Tag 6000 Chrono on a daily basis. 5 years before the battery need replacing, only because I actually use the chrono features..
Spent $120 by sending it to tag, it came back next to new.

I am a big fan of Tags and Old Heuers.
You'll end up with something nice either way you go.

Back