• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPA exhaust defect

Finally took the car out for another weekend cruise, only about my 5th time and a week later i get a EPA defect notice in the mail.
So i get the exhaust tested and it comes to 100dB, well over the allowed 90dB.
I ask the tester if they can make a system to pass and they think that it would be too hard given the space constraints and the only chance is to get a standard exhaust.
With only 2 weeks the get the problem fixed two questions:
Has anyone got their stock exhaust i can buy/rent off them.
Does anyone have recommendations for a exhaust manufacturer that can make a decent legal set up?
Thanks.

Due to the fact you need it changed so soon is unfortunate, i will being bringing an nsx i have just put a deposit for down from perth, if you could wait a month i could of temporarily swapped you, as i wouldnt mind trying out an aftermarket system as i will be after one eventually to replace the stock exhaust.

With only 2 weeks the get the problem fixed two questions:
Has anyone got their stock exhaust i can buy/rent off them.
Does anyone have recommendations for a exhaust manufacturer that can make a decent legal set up?
Thanks.
You could try the steel wool trick or Exhaust City in Cheltenham who I found very helpful and reasonably priced for a job they did for my Esprit.
That's a loud exhaust!

My car had a stock exhaust when I purchased it in Perth, but unfortunately I didn't think it was worth the cost of shipping to get it here. You could try emailing Alex at <[email protected]> to see if he still has it. I know he was advertising it free to good home on NSX Prime a while back. The only problem is, you would need to get it from Perth, which might be expensive.

All the best,

David

Thanks for the feedback guys,

I have had two local places say it was too hard or they could not get it down to the required level. Now have booked in into Exhaust City, dropping it off Tuesday and not phased by the job.
Funny thing is i am driving it daily now just in case of the wost case scenario.

It always pays to keep hold onto the stock exhaust.
I've had the same thing happen to me in an RX7.(to be expected seeing it would set off cars alarms as i would pass them).
The cops dont even bother pulling you over.
you just get a letter in the mail.
When my new engine goes in i think i will be getting a few letters in the mail.:frown:

The old ones fine just not a Forced induction supercharged engine.
I had science of speed build me a new engine.
It got delivered a few days ago.
A serious work of art. good for 350 kw:smile:

...The cops dont even bother pulling you over.
you just get a letter in the mail.

Really??? I've never heard of this! Is this in all States or just Victoria?

Are the cops the only ones who issue them? If not, can any old busy-body take your rego and make a complaint?

This is unbelieveable!...

Really??? I've never heard of this! Is this in all States or just Victoria?

Are the cops the only ones who issue them? If not, can any old busy-body take your rego and make a complaint?

This is unbelieveable!...
Not sure about other states. It happened to me in victoria over 7 yeras ago.
So it's been in along time.
I think only the police can issue the infringment notice.
Ive had a titanium exhaust on my nsx for a couple of years now and had no problem and would be over 90 DB.
Soon i'm fitting headers and air intake so things may change.
as long as you keep your original exhaust it's not much of a hassle.
costs round 30 bucks for the test.

Hey guys.

I have been done for my s15 before in Sydney by the DECC aka EPA.

A letter is sent stating your vehicle has been tampered and must be inspected by a DECC authorised station, bare in mind there is only 6 authorised station in Sydney. Inspection includes noise test, car up on the hoist and photos are taken by the DECC authorised station and sent to headoffice for the next step.

You will have to either return the car back to complete stock standard or else change your air filter back to stock, aftermarket fuel pressure regulator to stock, plumb back BOV and get an emissions test done to see whether it meets the nox and carbon levels.

Anyone in the public can report your vehicle, but the ones who usually report you are those who are an authorised members eg. Road Traffic Authority, Cops, Council workers, EPA, or a public member who becomes a member of the DECC.

In Vic, are they known as DECC??

Last edited:
... Anyone in the public can report your vehicle, but the ones who usually report you are those who are an authorised members eg. Road Traffic Authority, Cops, Council workers, EPA, or a public member who becomes a member of the DECC.

In Vic, are they known as DECC??

DECC - Department of Environment and Climate Change??? Well bugger me with a Queensland pineapple! WTF is this world coming to???

I'll tell you what if I got a letter from them, I'd have great pleasure in shoving a freshly removed set of catalytic converters right up were those govt. b@stards couldn't pollute the planet anymore!

UNBELIEVEABLE!

In Vic it's a registered EPA Officer or Police that can issue the ticket and the ticket will specify where, when and if it was EPA or Police that reported you.
The same problem in Vic with only limited testers. It costs $40 but takes an hour for proper testing so not many places are too keen to get registered.
I rang Honda for a price just in case, $7000!

Back