• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Esprit Body Kit for the NSX Any interest

Originally posted by sjs:
Unless the combined parts were wind tunnel tested (zero chance of that) a track car would be the worst reason for doing that. It's a good bet that the losses are greater than the gains.
nsxsc009.jpg

Not exactly the same, but pretty close and I guarantee that this one has been wind tunnel tested. Also, I just purchased the Burn-up front bumper and I would guess that it is about 40-50lbs lighter than the stock bumper. Nice weight savings. I like it.

I'll admit though, that it would definitely get attention and be interesting to see at a show or at the track. I expect show and track cars to be extreme and radical in their execution.
[/B]

Dude, what do you think that car is? It _is_ radical and extreme in its execution.
Going fast and looking unique at the same time is the requirement for some people...
I can kinda understand why people like to keep their NSX OEM, but I would never ever
keep any car I buy OEM. My NSX is not an investment... its a peice of machinery to
give me excitement, pleasure and display my originality.

I even applaud the rich bastards who build F355 Challenge cars as well as those
who make modifications to their F360. You should read the Japanese exotic
car magazine Genroq. It has tons of crazy people who want to be different.

Whats so special about a stock F360 anyways? Anyone with money can get one.

Good for you that you have a unmolested NSX. Some people like to collect stuff, while
other people like to use their stuff. I don't collect anything for the sake of collecting.
Everything in this world will return to dust someday anyways.... including ourselves.

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
Aargh, what a shame. Well, that's one more of a rapidly dying breed to bite the dust. There's getting to be very few real NSXs left. All the more rare, I guess. Like steveny said, keep f'ing up your cars guys and an unmolested, true NSX will be about as hard to find as an 83 Corvette.

Originally posted by kenjiMR:
Good for you that you have a unmolested NSX. Some people like to collect stuff, while
other people like to use their stuff. I don't collect anything for the sake of collecting.
Everything in this world will return to dust someday anyways.... including ourselves.

Well, technically, not me... I've got a little "deal"... BUT that's a whole nother topic that I'd rather not get into
biggrin.gif

Your point is well taken about these "uber kits", but people are certainly entitled to hate them just as some love them.

I like going non-OEM too, but I prefer doing it in a more subtle way.

Like I said, I think that kit makes for an interesting showcar, but I wouldn't want to be driving it every day.

Originally posted by docjohn:
Yes spooky that was me.Who was in SoHo NY. on Easter eve?Silver coupe, work? wheels.I also know what you mean about the kits for the supercars of the 70"s and 80"s.These youghsters should see the old Greenwood vettes and Koenig anything,B&B porsches, ect.Even Lambo went crazy on there 25'th countach.To each his, or her own.Oh and Ken I drove up and back with my Advans ,Yokohama says They are "for the sporty drive".

Woo hoo! Your car looks awesome man. PLUS, it was clean and shiny! (unlike mine... oops!)

I wonder who that silver coupe was in soho??? A family member of mine spotted a silver coupe at Chelsea Piers that same weekend and thought it was me! (They don't realize the whole coupe=black roof thing).

Ken,
I disagree with you on the new 2002 NSX. It was at the Detroit Auto show. IMHO very ugly.

Looks like they are searching for a way to boost sales until the upcoming model.

r.e. The above kit. Good for a Revell model.

I like the idea of the car perform better without killing it's styling.

------------------
HCleb.

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
Aargh, what a shame. Well, that's one more of a rapidly dying breed to bite the dust. There's getting to be very few real NSXs left. All the more rare, I guess. Like steveny said, keep f'ing up your cars guys and an unmolested, true NSX will be about as hard to find as an 83 Corvette.

I dont feel like I am F-ing up MY car at all. And what does having a body kit have to do with being a "true" NSX anyway? I guess a true NSX wouldn't have any engine, suspension or performance mods either(or is that OK)? When I bought my car it was nice, now it is incredibly nice,not rice, and much more enjoyable to drive with the performance mods. I bought parts for it before I bought the car. The car is engineered well, but it is dated in its stock form and definetly is behind the curve in performance. Modification is a necessity to bring it up to todays standards. Even if you dont go as far as I did, I understand, but it definetly needs suspension, brakes and performance upgrades and the Wings West kit is subtle and makes the car look more modern at least.

BTW the only thing a 83 corvette is good for is the engine and I put that in my JEEP Wrangler. Another one bit the dust.

Wow I stuck my head in here again...

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion.

So my opinion .... for those who like to mod there cars have a good time. For those who don't enjoy.

One big difference is I haven't seen ANY F355s or 360s that have had their bodies modified anywhere near to the extent many NSXes are being modified today. I don't claim to have seen all of them but have seen well over a 100.

However I wonder if it's more of a cultural thing. The dress styles in Asia are much different than in Italy with similarities between modifiying cars. Nothing wrong with either. A little like the beer versus the wine belt in Europe.

So my opinion... I think I'd pass on the mods but I'm the MOB.

BTW another body mod for the 360 for those who care http://www.koenig-specials.com/ferrari/ferrari-360modena.html#Anchor-6147

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 11 April 2002).]

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 11 April 2002).]

Just a thought.

Anyone who has an NSX has the option of keeping it stock and not touching one single swirl of paint on it.

That begets the question... well why do so many people modify them? I think the answer is that there is something beautiful out there about some modification that inspires an even greater appreciation for what is already a wonderful car.

IMHO... who gives a rats ass if your car has the original coat of paint or if you've never swapped out the stereo system? That's like... if you fart in the forest and nobody hears you... did you really fart? I mean, do you really think that that somehow make your NSX better than someone else's? Given that they obviously could've left it the way you have it currently? I highly doubt it.

Just my two cents. If I want to keep a stock NSX in my home, it'll be a Tamiya one.

Originally posted by kenjiMR:
Now nsxtasy is asking me if Modena owners have no taste... what kind of dumb question is that.

Stop accusing me of saying things I never said.

I asked you what you meant with your comment about 360 owners and your comment about creativity. If you don't feel like explaining your comment, fine - but don't just turn around and start attacking me for asking what you meant, and don't twist my question into some other concept that I never said.

Well how about my opinion since I have the joy of driving a highly modified $100,000 NSX to work everyday. One thing is for sure all us NSX owners enjoy the attention we get when we go cruising around town in our exotic super cars. Lets face it, one of the joys of owning an NSX is the reaction and the attention you get when people see your car and just stare at it. Well if you think you get reaction when cruising around in your stock NSX you aint seen nothing yet. Try taking a cruise in my car. Last Sunday I was at the Morroso racetrack and as I was leaving the parking lot I got chased by 2 TV crews wanting to get shots of my NSX(my car was not the only NSX their but it was the only one that was chased down and filmed). If there is an NSX owner out there who says he or she doesn't like the attention, I say you are in denial. If you didn't like the attention you would be driving a 4door BMW sedan. In conclusion all of us who own NSXes do so for the same reason as those of us modify our NSXes. My opinion is, modify it and enjoy it even more. my pics.
dsc00090.jpg

dsc00093.jpg

dsc00099.jpg

dsc00102.jpg

dsc00085.jpg
www.cybernationmotorsports.com

[This message has been edited by NSXGee (edited 11 April 2002).]

P.S. Both the orange car at the start of this thread and the yellow cybernation car have slit-shaped openings in the front of their bumpers. Is this solely a styling element (cosmetic only) or is there a specific function that this is designed to meet?

Originally posted by nsx1164:
Headlights:
Painted Marga Hills lens shields.

Are other units available? Personally, I prefer something with flat/flush-fitting Lexan or glass shields, ala Ferrari F40. SoS used to sell these awhile back.
In addition to Chris' parts (SoS), I also found these -- from GT-ROM.NET, which brands these as "Pop Nishimura" ( http://www.gt-rom.net/gtrom/lightkit/top.htm )

Interesting website at http://www.gt-rom.net/gtrom/index.htm . Looks familiar.

I'd like to approach the issue of mods from another direction.

The NSX is an extremely rare car. Fact is there's just not many out there. Particularly after 1994 the yearly production numbers are really small.

As someone who appreciates cars pretty much in their original state (my Vette is a numbers-matching original car with 10K miles) I suspect that if a significant percentage of NSXs are modified in an irreversible manner that it will make those NSXs that remain stock extremely rare and collectible.

I'm not criticizing anyone for modifying their NSX. It's your car, do as you please. However, when I see a car that is significantly modded (not just wheels or other reversible bolt-ons) I do feel somewhat saddened because one day, there's just isn't going to be much left.

Yeah, I guess I'm one of those "older" guys that someone made fun of, but I guess I've seen so many older Corvettes (and other older cars) that have been really hacked and modded and I know what kind of effort is required to restore these cars.

As time goes on I suspect there will be more people who want the older and 1st generation NSX for the historic significance. I just hope there's enough out there.

I would also ask (and recommend) to anyone who mods their NSX to at least consider making only those mods that can be easily reversed. Try not to do anything that's a one-way mod. Save your old parts. If you're considering extensive mods, consider a safe car that might have been damaged already.

I know many of you are not thinking about this now, but someday you might want to sell your car and it might make a big difference in resale as well as help preserving a bit of history.

Just a thought.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 11 April 2002).]

Originally posted by sjs:
Unless the combined parts were wind tunnel tested (zero chance of that) a track car would be the worst reason for doing that. It's a good bet that the losses are greater than the gains.

Notice I said I wouldn't mind having "that look" as opposed to having those exact body parts...

And "that look" is indeed racy as evidenced by the JGTC NSXs.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
P.S. Both the orange car at the start of this thread and the yellow cybernation car have slit-shaped openings in the front of their bumpers. Is this solely a styling element (cosmetic only) or is there a specific function that this is designed to meet?

The slits are for extra cooling. The elliptical shape in the front of the Taitec bumper has been proven on the track to increase the endurance and the warm weather performance of the NSX by effectively cooling the condensers and the radiator. Everything on my car is functional not just for looks.

Originally posted by NSXGee:
The slits are for extra cooling. The elliptical shape in the front of the Taitec bumper has been proven on the track to increase the endurance and the warm weather performance of the NSX by effectively cooling the condensers and the radiator. Everything on my car is functional not just for looks.

Why do you need to cool the AC condensors on the track???????????????????

------------------
G Dummy~

Faster than stock.
:D :D :D

http://sacramento.nsxca.org/Events/thunderhill_driving_school_4-02.htm

Originally posted by cojones:
What is the suspension setup on the Cybernation NSX ??

Any problems with rubbing/scraping on the relatively rougher roads in South Florida ?

The current suspension is Comptech but is schedule for serious upgrade later. As for the Florida road I must always pay close attention were I drive even when the car was stock.

As for your question regarding the engine the only thing done is the Type R type clutch conversion. However much more coming soon.

Originally posted by maomaonsx:

Why do you need to cool the AC condensors on the track???????????????????

I don't know about you but when I am on the track I keep my ac on, this is Florida and it is really hot. Just joking.

The point here is if you live in warm weather conditions such as Florida better cooling of the condensers could be of some benefit.

This car is equivalent to all the kids with tatoos and piercings these days. Some day they will grow up and see how f'd up they look. Why do irrepairable damage to your car?

Back