• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fender liner clips,,,not the push in ones?

What the hell was Honda thinking with the fender liner attachment methods???? I not talking about the round push in expanding plugs, but the crappy rectangular hold down. Each wheel well has 2 I believe. I've been doing some minor work on the front end of my NSX and had the front wheel liners out. I have new push pin clips, but the small flat toe clamp clips are dry rotted and all have broken. These are the ones that pinch the wheel liner to the edge of the lip on the inside of the fender. Anyone have a part# or better, a alternative method????

Yep, those are the POS clips I'm talking about! Just seems like a extremely crappy afterthought when it comes to design engineering.
Not impressed with design criteria here. I'm going to make a reasonable facsimile of this clip out of Black Delrin and see how well they will work as a alternative. Relatively simple to do with a Bridgeport Mill.

When I replaced my liners I put aluminum threaded nut-serts into the factory holes for the push clips. Now I use aluminum bolts to attach the liner.

Actually, there are some details called Wellnuts that are extensively used on sport bike body work and they work very well. Would be a excellent choice for the fender liners. They are available in a very wide range of sizes, both metric and standard. They consist of a rubber sleeve with a threaded brass insert at the end of the pliable rubber. You push the rubber sleeve into the whole, insert the screw and start tightening. The rubber expands on the back side of the detail you are trying to fasten and tightens the two details together.

The parts I was referring to in this thread however were the rectangular plastic tab with a tapered end on it. There are wholes in the fender liner, but no mating whole on the fender itself. The rectangular plastic tab simply pinches the liner to the flange on the fender. Two per wheel well in approximately 10 oclock and 2 oclock position.

What the hell was Honda thinking with the fender liner attachment methods???? I not talking about the round push in expanding plugs, but the crappy rectangular hold down. Each wheel well has 2 I believe. I've been doing some minor work on the front end of my NSX and had the front wheel liners out. I have new push pin clips, but the small flat toe clamp clips are dry rotted and all have broken. These are the ones that pinch the wheel liner to the edge of the lip on the inside of the fender. Anyone have a part# or better, a alternative method????

Is it item #9 based on the drawing link below?

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...ront-fender/?trim=nsx-t&engine=6-speed-manual

I've considered nut-serts but when they slip, they are a PITA to remove/replace. Well nuts are a good option and easy to replace but need a longer bolt and the rubber can break down over time. I'm now considering Jack Nuts for the application for its benefits like a nut-sert but being easier to replace.

Back