• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally bought my car!!!!.... But....

Hi guys, I finally purchased my new NSX. Its a 1992 black/black with only 50,000 miles on the clock AND.... the complete Cartech Twin Turbo package has been installed as well.

Here is my question however. After driving the car to work upon starting it to leave I noticed it would not engage reverse or 1st gear without some effort. I would have to force it. Now it won't shift into any gear with the car running, but shifts fine with the car off. I asked my local Acura service department and they said this sounds like a bad clutch, does that make sense? Anyone experience similair problems.

I've only had the car a couple days, so this is a real bummer for me. The estimated the clutch at about 1600, with another 1200 for labor. Does that sound right?

Any input would be great.

I suppose I could go take some good pics of it to post, with it standing still and all.

I don't think so, I checked the transmission serial number and it doesn't look like it was in the range it was a number that started with an S instead of a J so I am guessing it either wasn't affected, or the previous owner had it repaired.

Would those be symptoms of a snap ring failure?

I had an issue shifting into 1st and reverse with my '94 (would take significant force, as you describe), and had the fluid changed with GM syncromesh fluid - with the new fluid in the shifting felt the same for about 2 weeks, but after 2 weeks the car shifted fine - it is now nearly 2 months later, and the tranny has been smooth ever since, perhaps you should try the GM syncromesh fluid, prior to swapping out your clutch? A search here on nsxprime will turn up the GM part numbers, I bought mine at a Chevrolet dealership and had a local nsx mechanic change the fluid, total cost was around $70.

A simple 'test' to see if your clutch is worn would be to get the car going maybe 30 mph, shift into a high gear (eg 4th), and give the car full throttle - if it doesn't slip your clutch is fine.

Now that it is parked in the drive way it won't easily go into any gear running.

I had to force it into reverse to back out of my parking space at work. Then force it into first, once there it was fine to 2nd 3rd and 4th, down shifting I had to blip the throttle to engage the gears however.

Specifically 1st gear was the worst. Was this similar to your experience?

It seems that once I get it going its fine going up, but coming down isn't as smooth as it was the day before. Also the stick feel is noticibly different, more stiff.

In addendum, the clutch pedal seems to have more play then it did yesterday. It goes down further before encountering resistance.

eventhorizon said:
In addendum, the clutch pedal seems to have more play then it did yesterday. It goes down further before encountering resistance.

Could it be a pilot/throw-out bearing? I remember when my pilot/throw-out bearing went out on my Rx-7, I could not put the car into any gear while the motor was running. It will shift (albeit a little bit more effort) while the motor was off, but as soon as I fired her up, I could not get the car into any of the gears.

1st and reverse took serious force to get into, reverse more so than 1st - the other gears were notchy to varying degrees prior to the syncromesh fluid... the problem also came out of nowhere after quite a bit of driving (including a cross country trip) all without issue - I would definitly try the 'cheap fix' prior to dropping $3k on a new clutch & installation... I had no issues with my clutch pedal, and my clutch was installed fairly recently (only 6k miles when this issue appeared)

I was at the point where I was pricing transmission rebuilds, 6spd swaps, etc. - I don't think this GM syncromesh fluid is a fix-all, but the problem I had with my transmission was probably reduced 95%, to the point where now I only notice a bit of notchy-ness in reverse when the car is cold, and if I row through the gears 2-3 times prior to driving they are silky smooth. I would certainly give this fluid a try, and after having it put in drive the car for a few weeks prior to doing anything drastic.

My guess is something related to the clutch fluid. Either one of the cylinders are failing, or your fluid has been compromised. Check your fluid to start with. Clutch issues do not typically start this way, and since the dealer knows it will rebleed the system anyhow, they figure the clutch is the most profitable and sure-fire way to fix the problem. Don't fall for it, especially since your clutch is obviously not stock and my be expensive to repair.

My opinion would be to check the fluid. If it 'looks' fine, call the PO and ask him when is the last time he had it changed/bled if it isn't already within the car's records.

If this isn't the case, I'd go towards what Mr. Spinner suggested. Going from least to more expensive is usually the most efficient way.

Last edited:
I suspect hydraulic system problem - very commmon on the NSX. Do a search on clutch master cylinder or clutch slave cylinder for details.

It could be a clutch problem (see recent thread in the technical forum for example) but most likely a hydraulic issue - simply more common failure.

It sounds more like a master cylinder issue. I would think if it was the clutch I wouldn't of been able to drive it anywhere, but when I got it in gear it was relativly smooth and normal functioning.

I did read a post and feel up around where the rod enters the cylinder on the firewall and it was rather goopy all over. I tried to take a pic but the camera batteries died.

Would this be indicative of a failed master cylinder or a leak somewhere? Perhaps it was normal lubrication but it was pretty pronounced I thought, and dark black.

After a monumentous tug of war, with my wifes foot on the brake pedal half the time I pulled it into the garage. We checked the small resovoir on the upper right hand side of the front trunk.. and it was completly empty. We are going to put some DOT-3 in it and see if it remedies the problem

My master cylinder is leaking and you can see a streak on the carpet just under the pedals, and I had to top up the DOT-3 fluid when the reservoir gets low, but NEVER EMPTY!:eek: So did that help?

Yes it did. We topped it off and pumped the clutch a lot. It was still difficult to engage reverse unless you went to 1st first then over to reverse. However if we pumped the clutch a lot, it went back to being smooth as yesterday so I am thinking it was a pressure problem and we need to probably bleed the system to get any air out.

Any other ideas or things to check? We will still take it to the Acura dealership and have them check the master cylinder and flush/bleed the system. Should I check the slave cylinder as well?

Here are some pics of the master cylinder, is this normal looking, I thought it seemed excessive.

Attachments

• thumb1.jpg
    thumb1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 145
  • thumb2.jpg
    thumb2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 138
Around 390 I beleive. Once the boost kicks in (6 psi) its actually kinda scary.

eventhorizon said:
Here are some pics of the master cylinder, is this normal looking, I thought it seemed excessive.

That needs replaced.

Does anyone have some DIY pics of replaced that?

@eventhorizon: I hope you feel better that it's only the master cylinder. :)

I sure do. Do you all think I can still drive it a bit until I take it in? Would I do any damage to it? I'm itching to take a drive.

For eventhorizon & docmental - brake fluid does not get consumed or evaporate - if it is low, it leaked! Yes, it may work if you top it up but it probably minimally requires bled but is a bigger problem waiting tohappen when you least desire it. The leak on yours eventhorizon is pretty horrible - would replace that asap.
Please replace both your Master & Slave cylinders - this is pretty common failure on the NSX (do a search - you will find string recommendation from Guru Larry Bastanza that replacing both is a good plan)

Here are some tips on DIY replacement

Incidentally, even as a Newb it's OK to post technical questions in the technical forum. <!--StartFragment -->
pain.gif

Good Luck getting your problem resolved.

Back