• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First time pulled over in NSX - no front plate

So I got pulled over for the first time today in the NSX. Completely lame situation.

Got on I-25 South in Colorado and I'm just going the speed limit in the farmost left lane, not even passing any other cars. I see a state trooper pulled off the side of the road about a quarter of a mile ahead of me - very obvious, he wasn't trying to be sneaky. I continue on my way past him, but I keep glancing in my rearview because I have a feeling - I'm still doing the speed limit exactly. About a quarter of a mile away I see him pull onto the interstate and within minutes he's directly behind me just following. I'm thinking, wtf, is he really going to try and pull me over for doing nothing. A few miles of driving - nothing. Then, as I predicted, he flicked the lights on. I pull over. He comes up and very nicely says "Sir, I'm pulling you over because in the state of Colorado it is required to have a front licence plate, why don't you have one?" I reply "Sir, I'm sorry, I'm originally from Arizona and in that state you only need one plate on the back of the car." He responds, "Well, they issue you two plates right? So wouldn't common sense tell you that you need two plates?" I concur. He takes my info and tells me he'll let me go if I have no previous offenses. I have none, he lets me go.

Got off pretty lucky, but it's pretty dang irritating that a cop has nothing better to do than to pull me over for having no front plate. It'd be a different story had every other car in the state had one, and I didn't. However, driving around today I looked at cars passing, and the front plate situation was nearly 50/50 - some cars had them, others didn't - yet he chose to pull ME over.

Lame. :biggrin:

I know exactly how you feel:biggrin: Most Corvettes don't have front license plate and I don't see cop pull them over :mad:

ive been driving with no front plate for a while now. i even circled around ny cops because i was lost without front plates. they just stared :biggrin:

ive been driving with no front plate for a while now. i even circled around ny cops because i was lost without front plates. they just stared :biggrin:

Yeah I've passed many cops before and have never been pulled over. And like I said, about 50% of the cars that passed me had no plates either. The cop was sitting on the side of the road for a while - you cannot honestly tell me he saw no other cars without plates pass him before he saw me.

I'm still not putting plates on - it's the principal of the matter :biggrin: If anything, I'm gonna modify a sos stealth bracket and make it spring loaded with a cable pull in the cabin. If a cop pulls me over again for no plate, engage the spring and pop the plate out. Vioala... "Um, sir, you are wrong, I DO have a front plate" :biggrin:

Yeah I've passed many cops before and have never been pulled over. And like I said, about 50% of the cars that passed me had no plates either. The cop was sitting on the side of the road for a while - you cannot honestly tell me he saw no other cars without plates pass him before he saw me.

I'm still not putting plates on - it's the principal of the matter :biggrin: If anything, I'm gonna modify a sos stealth bracket and make it spring loaded with a cable pull in the cabin. If a cop pulls me over again for no plate, engage the spring and pop the plate out. Vioala... "Um, sir, you are wrong, I DO have a front plate" :biggrin:

If state law requires a front plate, then put one one. The principle of the matter is the law. I believe the less difficult we are our day to day lives towards the police, the better we'd be. Idealistic yes.

Miner

He was fishing...using the absense of a front plate for an excuse to see if you had any other violations. Just be glad he didn't write you up.

He either:

1) Was having a slow day
2) Hates guys in sports cars
3) Operates by the letter of the law
4) Some combination of the above
5) All of the above

However:

1) WELL within his right to pull you over
2) Be happy you just got a warning
3) The law is the law

Don't get me wrong, I am happy he just gave me a warning. Yes, I know the law is the law and I accept the fact that not putting a plate on may or may not lead to a ticket. But the fact that he decided to pull me over out of the other plateless cars on the road is bs. I do believe he was fishing for something more, but next time there won't be nothing to be fished. :biggrin:

Got on I-25 South in Colorado and I'm just going the speed limit in the farmost left lane, not even passing any other cars.

By the way, in Colorado they can issue a ticket for that, ask me how I know. The left lane is for passing.

If state law requires a front plate, then put one one. The principle of the matter is the law. I believe the less difficult we are our day to day lives towards the police, the better we'd be. Idealistic yes.

Miner

State law also says to stay cruising at speed limit at all times. Do you do this at all times?

it was just a freakin story.

If anything, I'm gonna modify a sos stealth bracket and make it spring loaded with a cable pull in the cabin. If a cop pulls me over again for no plate, engage the spring and pop the plate out. Vioala... "Um, sir, you are wrong, I DO have a front plate" :biggrin:

That won't really work. That frame has thumb screws holding it together and is actually a bit of work to move it around. I just leave mine in the up position and if anybody ever gives me any trouble about it I'll say "oops, forgot to put it back down after doing a photo shoot" or something along those lines.

Come on guys...he was doing his job. What if ur car was stolen...drove by a cop breaking the law...and the cop just over looks it? I mean really? Wouldn't u be mad he didn't do his job then? He did his job, and LET YOU GO, even after you were breaking the law.

In law enforcement we have this thing called probable cause. Basically its looking for a reason to pull you over to find something worse. DUI, Stolen cars, drugs, killers...haven't you seen COPS?? Think about all the shit that's not caught on tape that comes from a routine traffic stop.

In law enforcement we have this thing called probable cause. Basically its looking for a reason to pull you over to find something worse. DUI, Stolen cars, drugs, killers...haven't you seen COPS?? Think about all the shit that's not caught on tape that comes from a routine traffic stop.

That is what I meant by fishing...:wink:

We deal with the same thing here in California, so I am used to it. So far after 3 years, never got popped for a front plate missing. (Fingers Crossed)

Last edited:
That is what I meant by fishing...:wink:

We deal with the same thing here in California, so I am used to it. So far after 3 years, never got popped for a front plate missing. (Fingers Crossed)

Good luck man, I hope crossing fingers works :biggrin:

And I understand the intent of the whole licence place up front. The cop wasn't a douche and I gave him all the respect he deserved because I know he was just doing his job. Just a bummer the mini-van in front of me without a plate didn't get pulled over lol

Good luck man, I hope crossing fingers works :biggrin:

And I understand the intent of the whole licence place up front. The cop wasn't a douche and I gave him all the respect he deserved because I know he was just doing his job. Just a bummer the mini-van in front of me without a plate didn't get pulled over lol

Really...who would u pull over? :biggrin: I know my ass would be pulling the NSX over to check it out...lmfao!

Really...who would u pull over? :biggrin: I know my ass would be pulling the NSX over to check it out...lmfao!

Thats a good point. Also, He might have thought it was an F-Car...

I'm good for about 3 or 4 no front tags tickets a year. Good thing they are focusing on that and not the growing gang/drug problem that is flowing over from the next town.

I live in Colorado as well. I have two cars with no front license plate. Over the past 10 years I have been ticketed for no front plate once. I actually got pulled over for speeding on Speer and admitted speeding, but gave me a $50 ticket for no front plate.

I'm good for about 3 or 4 no front tags tickets a year.

So how many tickets (per year) would you have to get to actually consider putting a plate on?

Any how much are each of these costing you?

Being that I'm a retired Ohio Policeman the only reason to stop you would to question you about your NSX AND HOW AWESOME THE CAR IS.!!!! Oh by the way I have a 1991 NSX with no front plate either. Lets face it, it really takes away from the front end with a plate on it. Haven't been stopped in it yet but have been stopped in my 2000 Integra and 1998 RL . Both were for speeding ( go figure) ...... No i didn't get a ticket.!!!

How much are the fix-it ticket fines in your state?

In California they used to be $10 but now bumped up to $25. I have a few local and city cop buddies to write them off for me so I think I'll be okay (knock on wood) But one of them told me that they are being asked to limit or stop signing off on fix-it tickets. :(

How much are the fix-it ticket fines in your state?

In California they used to be $10 but now bumped up to $25. I have a few local and city cop buddies to write them off for me so I think I'll be okay (knock on wood) But one of them told me that they are being asked to limit or stop signing off on fix-it tickets. :(

Wow! If they were $10 in MN I would NEVER put on a plate!

They are $146 in MN.

I hate front plates, thanks god I have dealer plates and you only need 1 on the back:biggrin:

Back