• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First time pulled over in NSX - no front plate

This is not really related to the front plate but traffic ticket in general. Traffic tickets are on the rise to raise revenue.

Last edited:
Last week I was meeting some friends by dunkin donuts and there were a few cops sitting there close to us talking about how much they would like to "take the NSX for a spin". Cops left a few minutes before us and when i pulled out of the parking lot to go home one the officers that was there pulled out of a side street and pulled me over, he gave me a ticket for no front plate...:eek:

Last week I was meeting some friends by dunkin donuts and there were a few cops sitting there close to us talking about how much they would like to "take the NSX for a spin". Cops left a few minutes before us and when i pulled out of the parking lot to go home one the officers that was there pulled out of a side street and pulled me over, he gave me a ticket for no front plate...:eek:

That's jacked up lol. Sniped ya out man.

i got wacked for obstructed front plate this weekend...
lidar diffuser insitu....:cool:
bedminster cops.
54 bux. meh....
beats the redlight violation and
"goin too fast" violation he accused the innocent of...
told em both were bs....
cop stated "yellow light is a red light":eek:
don't think so, sir.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy he just gave me a warning. Yes, I know the law is the law and I accept the fact that not putting a plate on may or may not lead to a ticket. But the fact that he decided to pull me over out of the other plateless cars on the road is bs. I do believe he was fishing for something more, but next time there won't be nothing to be fished. :biggrin:

Tell me about it... my car was parked over night and the cop just wrote a no front license ticket and clipped it at my windshield here in Southern California. What kind of $%^& is that! I have a TX plate too!!

No offence to The Kid but why do dealers need only one plate and we need 2 plates? I thought we were equal? Take it to the Supreme Court. I see mant dealer owned cars with a plate permanently attached so it's not a test drive issue.

No offence to The Kid but why do dealers need only one plate and we need 2 plates? I thought we were equal? Take it to the Supreme Court. I see mant dealer owned cars with a plate permanently attached so it's not a test drive issue.

Here in the states dealers have only one plate because its used basically to transport cars for repairs or from auctions or to test drive cars during business hours it not to be used for personal use.

most dealers bend or break the rules I know a few of them..

That is what I meant by fishing...:wink:

We deal with the same thing here in California, so I am used to it. So far after 3 years, never got popped for a front plate missing. (Fingers Crossed)

When I was active duty military in California, I had my car registered in Florida (my home state that does NOT require a front plate). I had one of those gift shop/cheap/replica FLORIDA License plates on the front of the car that said NATIVE (since I was born there).

I kept it on because I got a # of parking tickets that said "native" on them.

ive been driving with no front plate for a while now. i even circled around ny cops because i was lost without front plates. they just stared :biggrin:

lol. were do you live?

i live in utica ny 13501. i got my nsx in the fall last year. and in the late winter was sooo in the mood to drive it. even tho i drove the thing all the way from west palm beach florida. Cant get enought of it. I went from a 91 crx si to a nsx. love it.

So i take her out on the nice day with no registration yet. only full coverage, come to a road block stop. 4 cops there. One stops me and looks arround. Went to the back of the car to see the plate. Only one would think so as I watched him in the rear view mirror as he was looking at the car and not the plate. comes back and says to me. ?You are test driving this thing rite? I replied "yeah". He then says. whos plate, i replied "mine". As the nsx had my truck plate on it. He then realized that it wasn't a dealer plate. As they all stared at me burning my tires as i left the next block.

Two weeks later he pulls nme over. This time thinking he was going to get me. Comes up to the car and says licence and registration. Here you go officer. looks at it and says nice car. Tells me that he remembers me from the road stop and that i didnt have the dealer plate on it i had some other plate. I said "i had my truck plate on it that i was transfering, but ended up taking the plate off my accord for plates and thats whats on it now.

So he said "i will have to issue you a ticket for no front plate". and i said officer there is no spot for the front plate. these cars never came with a front plate mount just like the ferrari's or vetts. he thought about it and said ok. this time i will let you go. but try to avoid road stops because they will issue you a ticket.

then we got to talking about the car and seems like he wanted a ride in it.

Cops, alsways think because they are cops they get stuff for free.:biggrin:

NY state is very hard on front plates. My friend Neil f. is a utica cop and said that the reason why is they get a more accurate reading on the radar when you are speading. :rolleyes:

you can win it in court. just tell them you bought the car from another state that never put the front plate holder on and you dont have one and that they are no longer are made and cannot be bought. ticket will be dropped. very easy. i did it with my crx.:eek:

In law enforcement we have this thing called probable cause. Basically its looking for a reason to pull you over to find something worse.
Yeah, and in court, they have this thing called a "pretext stop," which coincidentally is described exactly the same way, and can easily lose the case for the prosecution.

(We have a deputy prosecutor in our family who finds pretext stop busts to be an annoying waste of her time.)

Being in the same state as you... In 10 years my father (previous owner) and I have never been pulled over for this (or anything) in the NSX. On the other hand, I know a good number of people who have been pulled over between Fountain (south of Circle, where I'd guess you were) and Pueblo on I-25 for not having a front plate in all types of vehicles.

State troopers in that area seem to be a bit more hard-line than elsewhere. Good or bad, my guess is they mostly use lack of a front plate as an excuse to spot check (is the car stolen, the driver a fugitive/drunk, etc).

Keep in mind that he could have ticked you for something besides the lack of front plate.

I'm just going the speed limit in the farmost left lane, not even passing any other cars.

Sounds like you may have been technically in violation of the left lane law.

More people in CO need to be aware of that law (seems lots of folks have moved here since its introduction and related publicity campaign) and section three of the minimum speed regulation (too often I see traffic backed up on mountain highways behind someone who doesn't use the pulloffs).

I'm still not putting plates on - it's the principal of the matter :biggrin:

If state law requires a front plate, then put one one. The principle of the matter is the law. I believe the less difficult we are our day to day lives towards the police, the better we'd be. Idealistic yes.

Most cops I know would sympathize with not wanting a plate on the front of a nice car like the NSX. I assume they would only issue a ticket for such if the driver were a jerk or as a compromise to give someone who was breaking another traffic law a break (they still get a ticket, but only for the plate). None of our cars have front plates (same used to be true for my parents in the Springs, but that changed when they started driving to Pueblo frequently).

Back