• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For real? F1 is coming to Austin TX in 2012

Re: ummmm, this is good news????

The City staff reads about this in the newspaper???? :eek: Hmmmm, this is unraveling with all too much predictability. We won't even calc the % of the total cost that the City is "contributing".

Sounds like more good news! :biggrin:

Re: Counter clockwise.

Give those guys more balanced neck muscles. :smile:

First turn looks different; not too many uphill tight T-1s that I can think of.

Austin's first U.S. Grand Prix is slated for 2012. December has been mentioned as a possible starting date for construction.

"I don't want to put a date on it............
Hmmmm, someone :redface: forgot to give him the project script and kool-aid. :rolleyes:

Edit: I :redface: was thinking Tilke said this, but Tavo said it and he wrote the script and made the kool-aid !!!! Man, if he's backing away from the date already.......... :eek: He must be listening to the skepticism of the Korean track?

Last edited:
Re: aw, WTH, go ahead.........

oh sorry - trying not to get too excited.
Live in the moment because one day you might be an old curmudgeon like me. :wink:

Can't wait for the Korean track test on Saturday. :biggrin::biggrin:

Re: Korean track......can they make it?

Can't wait for the Korean track test on Saturday.
Picture Michael Scott from "The Office" crowing "Can they make it?......... Yes they can.........And they will !!!! Why? because (as he glances at the camera)........ because Bernie wills it" (and he smirks). :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD5jHiTK_pA&feature=player_embedded

Track looks about as finished as Riverside in the 60's. And no need to ask the questions about where the walls are and aren't. :confused: Plenty of time for that later. :rolleyes:

And they still have a top course of AC to put down that won't have time to cure. Would not be surprised if they have to patch up big chunks in the brake zones each night. Saw that in some CART/Indycar races, didn't we? :wink:

Chief Curmudgeon over and out.

Attachments

• michaelscott.jpg
    michaelscott.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 38
Uh oh! Looks like there might be delays. Story here.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vph_Bdvm-kU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vph_Bdvm-kU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

340x.jpg

Last edited:
Pirelli bringz the LULZ...

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6381738/Grosjean-replaces-Heidfeld-as-Pirelli-tester

Pirelli have announced that Romain Grosjean is to take over from Nick Heidfeld in testing its 2011 Formula One tyres at Monza next week.

Heidfeld had been released from his contract with Mercedes GP to test for the Italian company, which is taking over from Bridgestone as F1's sole supplier next year.

However, it was announced earlier this week that the German is to replace Pedro de la Rosa at Sauber, beginning at next weekend's Singapore Grand Prix.

Swiss-born Grosjean, who competes with a French licence, drove for Renault as a replacement for axed Brazilian Nelson Piquet Jr. for the final seven races of last year without scoring a point.

He was not retained after the end of the season and has most recently featured in the GP2 support series.

Pirelli thanked Heidfeld for his contribution after the German completed some 200 laps over a two day test at the Jerez circuit in southern Spain at the wheel of last year's Toyota TF109 car.

He also tested for them at Mugello in Italy last month.

"The tests here at Jerez have gone extremely well and we completed all the work that we planned over the two days," said Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery.

"Now we move on to Monza where our task will be to finalise the (tyre) construction before we focus further on compounds."

Looks like Pirelli is gonna pull a fast one on F1.

Last edited:
Re: I don't get it

How is Pirelli pulling a fast one? Can you speak a little more slowly so us older folks can keep up? :redface:

Thank you. :smile:
LOL, meant to post that in the F1 thread. As for the pulling a fast one reference, Heidfeld is a much better driver for development than Grosjean. Apparent pirelli wants to make F1 more interesting by providing crap tires and making the race more of a spectacle.

Re: Now, don't be jerking us old folks around........

.......Heidfeld is a much better driver for development than Grosjean. Apparent pirelli wants to make F1 more interesting by providing crap tires and making the race more of a spectacle.

Haha, that's a good one Jack. Sounds like some plausible BS I try to blow by the uninitiated in my race reports. :biggrin: But, hey, always up for a good conspiracy theory. :wink:

How do you know Heidfeld is a better development driver? Did James, Joe, Will or someone say that and more importantly that Grosjean would be crap for testing? Some of the best testers were crap racers and vice-versa.

But let's just go with the assumption that Nico is better. Then that leads to this: Heidfeld pulled a fast one on Pirelli or even the FIA by getting out of the contract.

Of course, I'm so old and slow, I just think he wants to race and Sauber needs some speed. I never would have figured Pirelli would be so bold in their debut. But, in this day and age, something that simple couldn't possibly be the real reason, right? :rolleyes:

JMHOWTFDIK :smile:

Re: Now, don't be jerking us old folks around........

Haha, that's a good one Jack. Sounds like some plausible BS I try to blow by the uninitiated in my race reports. :biggrin: But, hey, always up for a good conspiracy theory. :wink:

How do you know Heidfeld is a better development driver? Did James, Joe, Will or someone say that and more importantly that Grosjean would be crap for testing? Some of the best testers were crap racers and vice-versa.

But let's just go with the assumption that Nico is better. Then that leads to this: Heidfeld pulled a fast one on Pirelli or even the FIA by getting out of the contract.

Of course, I'm so old and slow, I just think he wants to race and Sauber needs some speed. I never would have figured Pirelli would be so bold in their debut. But, in this day and age, something that simple couldn't possibly be the real reason, right? :rolleyes:

JMHOWTFDIK :smile:
I wont OT this thread anymore. I'll respond to your post in the F1 thread.

Re: OK, now I'm getting excited.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/168096/1/us_gp_construction_on_schedule.html I love this quote:
.....Organisers have taken steps to mark the layout of the circuit, which will feature extensive elevation changes and will mimic a number of top corners in F1, and despite the lack of any further visual progress, spokesman Jeff Hahn insisted everything was on schedule.....

But hey, it must be true; someone else parrotted it too. :rolleyes: http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-157290.html

And hey again, they got a new cafe in the neighborhood that the locals are pretty happy about. Newspaper said so. And............soon as more equipment shows up they'll need to expand.

Edit: strike the repost about the aerial video. Sorry about that. I'm just that excited.

Last edited:
Re: Current video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oECDNtOWL3I&feature=youtu.be

I would love to be in the weekly progress meetings and listen to the review discussion of the schedule that the contractor has to routinely update. Best case is the resident engineer (RE or owner's representative) and the contractor's supervisor are wracking their brains on how to speed things up. A bad case is the contractor is handing in phony schedules saying he's on schedule and the RE is disapproving the schedule and withholding a good portion of the progress payments. And worst case is the RE is clueless and approving the contractor's phony schedules.

More importantly, the access roadwork is not underway yet. There will be a lot of unhappy fans trying to get in and get out of there.

Sure hope they pick up the pace.

Back