• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For real? F1 is coming to Austin TX in 2012

Re: Sign the petition

Someone's crying wolf and it ain't Curmudgeon Central..........for once. :rolleyes:

.......If they do not hear from all of us, it is very possible Circuit of The Americas will not be built.......

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/supportusgpracing/

Austin City Council: Endorse Efforts of Grand Prix Organizers
SignBlogSignaturesEmail friends
Formula 1 and MotoGP Fans Around the U.S.,

Will you come to Austin next year to see Formula 1 return to the U.S. after a 5-year absence? How about in 2013 when MotoGP makes its debut at Austin’s new purpose-built track, Circuit of The Americas? We need to hear from you! More specifically, Austin’s City Council needs to know you are out there, getting ready to come here.

A few vocal activists in Austin have openly challenged projections that the race events will bring tens of thousands of people to Central Texas. The Council needs to hear that millions of Formula 1 and MotoGP fans are here in the U.S. and ready to enjoy the pinnacle of motor sports racing.

We want to convince Austin’s City Council that the projections are real and right and may even be too conservative! We are seeking 250,000 electronic signatures to show the Council that a massive number of fans support Formula One and MotoGP.

And we need your support today. Council is scheduled to vote on June 23rd to officially endorse the race. If they do not hear from all of us, it is very possible Circuit of The Americas will not be built. F1 is the anchor tenant for the facility, so we need to help bring it across the finish line!

Please sign our petition today to let Austin’s City Council know how great these races will be for fans all around the U.S.

Note: By signing this petition, your contact information may be used by F1WatchParty.com and its parent company for the purposes of keeping you appraised of this issue via electronic newsletter.

Got this thru Jerry Kunzman, Mr. NASA Racing.

Re: Reason for hope?

Sure hope they pick up the pace.

I've had a fairly extensive dialog with a local "big project" manager down that way. He speaks my language about how projects are managed and built and didn't try any of that "we love racing, this is Texas, and we do the impossible" boasting.

I posed each of my questions about the schedule. He countered with these opinions, which could be true and basically answer the most important of my concerns. His points are:

1. Unlike many recent epic fails in the development world, the financial backers here have pockets more than deep enough to handle anything that Murphy (including lawsuits) can throw at it. Very few can say "money's no object" and mean it but I'll trust his judgment that it may be true.

2. The project backers also have more than enough political influence to squash any midlevel regulators who ask hard questions about permitting issues. Apparently that has happened over the past 8 months and will be easier to continue as time goes on.

3. He knows some design team members and they say that they're on schedule. Of course I'm assuming he knows them well enough that they would be free to say otherwise in confidence if they thought so.

4. He says he knows and has faith in Tavo. Most importantly, this Tavo, a guy who was simply introduced as "knowing Bernie and liking racing" is really an incredibly understated guy who is the exact opposite of Peter Windsor. He will under-promise and over-deliver. Which explains why there are so few (if any) news releases about construction progress.

Of course he implied all these assurances apply to design and constuction and don't apply to the politics of Bernie.

Awesome...thanks for that, Tedroe.

Didn't the TX Gov. and an Aussie Premier sign a 5 year contract to bring Aussie Supercars to the Circuit of America's recently? When I read that and that the 2013 MotoGP will be there, they gave me much more hope about the project being completed on a timely basis.

Bring it, suckas!

COTA-1a-460x258.jpg

Awesome...thanks for that, Tedroe.

Didn't the TX Gov. and an Aussie Premier sign a 5 year contract to bring Aussie Supercars to the Circuit of America's recently? When I read that and that the 2013 MotoGP will be there, they gave me much more hope about the project being completed on a timely basis.

Bring it, suckas!

COTA-1a-460x258.jpg

Yes, Aussie super cars are coming too! There's a big discussion over at FerrariChat with plenty of argument coming from both sides of the camp.

Got to do a meet and greet at Ferrari Dallas for a F1 watching party with some of the Americas people.
They were promoting corporate packages and so forth.
Because of the elevation changes I think this will be a stellar track.
Also mention was made of it being used as a "club" type track and used for other series as mentioned before which I thought Bernie was against.

A quick search revealed all hotels with reasonable rates at the airport and in the Austin central area have already been booked up. All that is left are Austin hotels at $400 -$800 a night. I found rooms at $50 a night about 25-30 miles south of Austin, the cities of Kyle and San Marcos. Many hotels require a 4 night stay. Does anyone local have suggestions of other hotels, or even B&B's that are off the beaten track, that would not jack-up their prices for the races?

Also, tickets and packages to the race do not yet appear to be available. Does anyone have an idea on the cost of a 3-day pass? I'm budgeting $500 based on other F1 races.

Best,

Mario

Re: Which date?

June? Did you know they're talking about moving it to fall and I haven't heard a fall date set yet.

A quick search revealed all hotels with reasonable rates at the airport and in the Austin central area have already been booked up. All that is left are Austin hotels at $400 -$800 a night. I found rooms at $50 a night about 25-30 miles south of Austin, the cities of Kyle and San Marcos. Many hotels require a 4 night stay. Does anyone local have suggestions of other hotels, or even B&B's that are off the beaten track, that would not jack-up their prices for the races?

Also, tickets and packages to the race do not yet appear to be available. Does anyone have an idea on the cost of a 3-day pass? I'm budgeting $500 based on other F1 races.

Best,

Mario

San Antonio is about 65 miles down the I-35 from the track. Smaller towns like Sequin, Lockhart, Luling and the like are all close by as well, and one may find a good deal there. Since my sister lives in east Austin, I'll be staying with her. There is a great NSX group in the Austin area, perhaps we can work some guest rooms / floors with them.

This whole deal about the possible change in dates is throwing a monkey wrench into the gears for a hotel. This year summer came early and a mid-June race would have been miserable, probably almost as bad as the 83 race in Dallas about the same time, so moving the race to the fall is a good thing.

Miner

Thanks for the info.

A group of us SoCal NSX owners were discussing the race and plans to attend. We were aware of the potential date change, but had decided to book the June dates becasue the hotels were already filling up, at least the ones with reasonable rates. We are counting on being able to cancel if the date changes. By-the-way, is the date change official, or at least very likely?

Since my son is attending college, he does not have a lot of cash at the moment, so we are trying to keep costs at a miniumum. We may even consider camping. I might have to make my son styart standing at freeway entrances with a sign saying "Car Addict, Need Money, F1 Races Are Expensive".

Thanks again,

Mario

I did some research on the cost of flights, hotel, rental car for the two of us for the 3-day event. I estimated the cost for a 3-day pass based on remaining 2011 race ticket prices, and middle cost tickets. This adventure is going to cost about $1,440 each, see below:

• Airfare Leave Los Angeles Thur 6/14 and return Monday 6/18 = $872
  • Hotel (25-30 miles away) four nights = $500
  • Car Rental for four days = $250 including gas
  • Food/Misc. 50 x 5 = $250
  • Race Tickets - 3 day pass = $1,000

I might be able to shave some costs, but not a large amount. A big variable is the cost of the race tickets.

The reason for the 4 night stay is that many hotels in the area have stipulated a minimum 4 night stay during the races.

Last edited:
I did some research on the cost of flights, hotel, rental car for the two of us for the 3-day event. I estimated the cost for a 3-day pass based on remaining 2011 race ticket prices, and middle cost tickets. This adventure is going to cost about $1,440 each, see below:

• Airfare Leave Thur 6/14 and return Monday 6/18 = $872
  • Hotel (25-30 miles away) four nights = $500
  • Car Rental for four days = $250 including gas
  • Food/Misc. 50 x 5 = $250
  • Race Tickets - 3 day pass = $1,000

I might be able to shave some costs, but not a large amount. A big variable is the cost of the race tickets.

The reason for the 4 night stay is that many hotels in the area have stipulated a minimum 4 night stay during the races.

Yikes. I'm going to have to start selling blood to attend.

Miner

Alternative to hotels

Best,

Mario

As an alternative to hotels, I have used vacation rentals through:

www.vrbo.com

Found places for several extended vacations in various cities and dealt directly with an owner in most cases (some are management companies depending on properties). If you have a few people together, it might work better than a hotel and better for amenities in addition to being a pretty good deal.

Looks like November is at least the semi official date now.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-bernie-ecclestone-confirms-november-switch-for-austin/

The weather will be much better although more unpredicable.

Miner

I'm planning on attending this race, race or shine, summer or not! I don't care about booking a room in advance since I'm planning on staying at Lackland AFB or Fort Hood, probably the former since AF tend to have better amenities than the Army AND San Antonio is bigger and better than Killeen, I'm assuming.

They're both about 1 1/2 hours away from Austin, but I don't mind the drive, specially since I'll be saving a lot by staying in base lodging, probably less than $30/night. :)

I do have friends that live in Texas, although I'm not sure how far away from Austin. Either way, I have the military to fall back on! ;) Good luck to all of you, hope you can get rooms at decent prices.

Re: Alternative to hotels

As an alternative to hotels, I have used vacation rentals through:

www.vrbo.com

Found places for several extended vacations in various cities and dealt directly with an owner in most cases (some are management companies depending on properties). If you have a few people together, it might work better than a hotel and better for amenities in addition to being a pretty good deal.

Thanks TXTony,

I quickly reviewed the web site and it looks like a good alternative if a group of people don't mind sharing a house. They list several neighborhoods. Do you know which ones are closer to the circuit?

Thanks TXTony,

I quickly reviewed the web site and it looks like a good alternative if a group of people don't mind sharing a house. They list several neighborhoods. Do you know which ones are closer to the circuit?

I am from Houston and not as familiar with Austin. Might try our southcentral section here on PRIME as a cross post and see if some can help out. Several members in Austin are active on there.

In fact, my DREAM would be we host NSXPO 2013 in Austin after the track is up and running and available (maybe) for the track days.

Glad to help out!

Tony

I am from Houston and not as familiar with Austin. Might try our southcentral section here on PRIME as a cross post and see if some can help out. Several members in Austin are active on there.

In fact, my DREAM would be we host NSXPO 2013 in Austin after the track is up and running and available (maybe) for the track days.

Glad to help out!

Tony

Thanks again,

Now that would be something. I'd even track my car again, risking another blown auto trans like what happened to me during the HPDE at the Las Vegas NSXPO last year, to get a chance to run on a F1 circuit.

Definitely check out Kyle and San Marcos. They haven't jacked their rates up yet while Austin already has. A Super 8 out by the Austin airport quoted me $309/night for a king/non-smoking. Price gouge much?

San Marcos is only about 30-45 minutes away from the track & I was able to get a room for 5 nights at the Best Western there for $103 so I'm locked in. Now all I have to do is find my seats at the track and get there. Booyah!

Re: Reason for hope......or despair?

Back several months ago.....
I've had a fairly extensive dialog with a local "big project" manager down that way. He speaks my language about how projects are managed and built and didn't try any of that "we love racing, this is Texas, and we do the impossible" boasting.

I posed each of my questions about the schedule. He countered with these opinions, which could be true and basically answer the most important of my concerns. His points are:

1. Unlike many recent epic fails in the development world, the financial backers here have pockets more than deep enough to handle anything that Murphy (including lawsuits) can throw at it. Very few can say "money's no object" and mean it but I'll trust his judgment that it may be true.

2. The project backers also have more than enough political influence to squash any midlevel regulators who ask hard questions about permitting issues. Apparently that has happened over the past 8 months and will be easier to continue as time goes on.

3. He knows some design team members and they say that they're on schedule. Of course I'm assuming he knows them well enough that they would be free to say otherwise in confidence if they thought so.

4. He says he knows and has faith in Tavo. Most importantly, this Tavo, a guy who was simply introduced as "knowing Bernie and liking racing" is really an incredibly understated guy who is the exact opposite of Peter Windsor. He will under-promise and over-deliver. Which explains why there are so few (if any) news releases about construction progress.

Of course he implied all these assurances apply to design and constuction and don't apply to the politics of Bernie.

Well, just to spice things up, we've got some fresh drama, which has been alluded to over the past week.

http://assets.circuitoftheamericas....115/CoTA_Construction Release_111511_1400.pdf

Well, I'm bummed that Tavo has let this thing get out of hand.

Back