• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For those of you that have owned a BMW M3

For those of you that have owned a BMW M3 (and i know there are quite a few) how did the insurance compare from the M3 to the NSX?
Just trying to get a ballpark idea of what the difference is like.
I currently own a M3 and am trying to get into a NSX in the next month or so.

Thanks,
David

I previously owned an 98 e36 M3 before I bought my nsx. I live in NJ, single, male and not married with 2 points on my license. My M cost me $3300 for the year with Liberty Mutual. Now I have NJM and its $3700 for the year. Both full coverage with 1k deductables. Well worth the increase in cost although my M was faster the NSX is simply unreal!

Depends on the year of your NSX and the M3. I had a '99 M3 for a while and paid more for insurance than I do for either the '91 NSX or the '94 NSX. See.....buying an NSX can SAVE you money. :D

Get married!!! It will save you a fortune on insurance!

My NSX insurance cost me a lot more money than my e46 M3.

23/ single /male with no tickets = My 1993 NSX insurance is cheaper than my 1996/1998 BMW e36 M3's were.

NSX FoYoAss said:
23/ single /male with no tickets = My 1993 NSX insurance is cheaper than my 1996/1998 BMW e36 M3's were.

Who do you insure with? My NSX is significantly more than my 01 330Ci w/ Horace Mann. I am certainly willing to switch to get a better rate.

White94 said:
Who do you insure with? My NSX is significantly more than my 01 330Ci w/ Horace Mann. I am certainly willing to switch to get a better rate.

I shopped around and around and no one could beat Allstate in my case. I think this is a pretty accurate comparison also since both my BMW's were also insured with Allstate and the same agent. I just thought I could find a better rate somewhere else, but that didn't happen.

Also, Progressives rates seemed to be almost as low, but not low enough. Farmers or State Farm(forget which one) wanted twice what I pay Allstate. I was amazed at such a difference with the same coverage.

Hope this helps...
- Z

It does, thanks!

NSX FoYoAss said:
Progressives rates seemed to be almost as low, but not low enough. Farmers or State Farm(forget which one) wanted twice what I pay Allstate.
When I was shopping around, I found that Allstate had higher rates than State Farm. I was switching away from Allstate anyway, because they did such a terrible job at handling a claim I had. Higher rates AND bad service - no thanks!

When Consumer Reports last surveyed prices of auto insurance, they did so for buyers in a bunch of different cities. The company that was lower in cost in one market was often higher in another market. So shop around and compare rates - don't forget the comparison websites like www.insweb.com and www.insure.com - and also compare customer claims satisfaction ratings. The most recent "how to buy" guide to auto insurance in Consumer Reports was in the October 2002 issue, and the most recent comparison of companies and their prices and satisfaction ratings was in the September 1999 issue. You should be able to find them in your local library.

NSX FoYoAss said:
I shopped around and around and no one could beat Allstate in my case. I think this is a pretty accurate comparison also since both my BMW's were also insured with Allstate and the same agent. I just thought I could find a better rate somewhere else, but that didn't happen.

Also, Progressives rates seemed to be almost as low, but not low enough. Farmers or State Farm(forget which one) wanted twice what I pay Allstate. I was amazed at such a difference with the same coverage.
I guess it can vary quite a bit, as I just switched from Allstate to Progressive. I pay half what I was paying Allstate to cover the NSX, and about the same on the other cars. The difference would have been even bigger, but I raised my coverage limits on liability, etc about 2.5x what they were before.

01 E46 M3 is more than my 98 NSX. Feel bad for some of you. I pay $2800 for 89 911 cab (For Sale), 01 M3, 98 NSX, 03 Denali, 01 Allroad. 1000 deductible on the M3 and NSX but only 500 deductible on the others. Maximum liability. Currently with Unitrin Direct. Previously with AIG (5 K) and State Farm would have been 6 K with State Farm Mutual despite multiple other policies. Try out Unitrin and get a quote on line. (No relationship with Unitrin)

Tim

Back